• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Magazine check animation

Videos on youtube seem to show them comming out intact, (however i don't know if belts linked together stay linked together), nations using the MG3 however do often use desintegrating belts (the MG3 cannot use WW2 belts and the mg34/mg42 cannot use MG3 belts):

Here an old video saying that they are nonintegrating.
YouTube - mg 34

Here you see the belt comming out intact clearly.
YouTube - MG-42 Video

The big issue with showing belts is that it needs a form of cloth physics to look normal and nice. But i don't know how hard and tasking that is on systems without hardware physX.

But moving slings on weapons and ammo belts are some of the things i would absolutely love to see and hope that TWI shows them..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some of the ideas about the belts and such seem interesting, although I've kinda got it down in my head pretty much when I'm going to run out so it'd be kinda useless for me..... but if others want a feature of checking the ammo belt, all the power to them.

As it goes for the other things like SMG clips, etc.... the current system seems to do just fine "Magazine Heavy" (Full or almost full) "Magazine Light" (Half Empty or less) "Magazine Very Light" (one to three bullets left)

.... I think it's "Magazine Very Light" I know there's another notice below Magazine Light, I just don't get it too often to remember well... but when it does pop up, be prepared to reload quickly, cuz you usually only have 1 or two bullets left.

I do remember members talking just a couple of months before Ostfront came out about adding in the rifle clip options mentioned here (being able to top up the rifle with another clip, without using the entire clip) but I'm not sure how practical in game that'd be, plus the developers would need to make separate animation sequences for each amount of ammo being put into the rifle (at least four more animations on top of the existing animation).... or a particular code that would halt the current animation when the rifle is full and then start up the pull out animation..... but even that would require multiple animation sequences.

^ I guess it would all depend on how energetic the TW animation team feels.

Though I can't remember what the old reason was for it not being put into Ostfront.... maybe it was just too late in development to throw it in, or perhaps it just didn't seem as necessary as other features.

One thing I'd like to mention in regards to ammo and weapons that should be tweaked in the new game (since we're talking about the weapons and how they function in the game) is that when dropping weapons and picking them up.... or when you die, etc.... make sure that the various weapons and ammo one was carrying is spread out further then it currently is.

There are many times I end up trying to pick up a weapon and ammo someone dropped, only for me to toss my weapon and ammo right on top of the weapon and ammo I'm trying to get, which usually ends up me only being able to pick up one weapon or the other..... and no ammo, which means I just screwed myself, because everything is stacked on top of one another...... and if I picked up a bot's weapon.... forget it... it's empty most times and I still can't pick up the ammo without picking up my other weapon.

^ That needs to be fixed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Topping off a rifle is practical ingame, for the very same reason that i sometimes find it practical to just fire my last 2 rounds in my rifle to start with 5 fresh rounds. And as shooting against a wall to just be able to ahave a full weapon is not really realistic it would be nicer to just be able to top it off.

Reloading simply takes a very long time so its practical to have 5 bullets in your gun.

With mgs if i cover some place for a long time and mostly fire quick bursts, then it can often happen to me that at some point i run out of ammo without me knowing. Especially during safe moments between waves it would be nice to have a quick check wether you'd have enough ammo for another wave.

I absolutely hate the weapon pickup system, and it was (in my opinion) only made worse by making you drop your weapon automatically when you press the use key near another weapon as it drops your old weapon in exactly the same pile of weaponry. I always liked the addition of ammo pouches however. But i have faith that twi will make it easier by changing the system or spreading the different items out more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With the MG34 drum you cannot just remove it to feel the weight. As attaching and detaching that thing takes a lot longer than with a regular magazine as the belt will still be connected to the mg otherwise. If you could look at the beltfeed length then that could give you an indication a lot quicker and easier.

Ah yes, stupid, didn't think of that. Ammo check for MG is less important than the other weapons, but it would be nice. Especially 3D ammo belts with physics. But yeah, not sure how much of an impact that would have on fps.

Upvote 0
Topping off a rifle is practical ingame, for the very same reason that i sometimes find it practical to just fire my last 2 rounds in my rifle to start with 5 fresh rounds. And as shooting against a wall to just be able to ahave a full weapon is not really realistic it would be nicer to just be able to top it off.

Reloading simply takes a very long time so its practical to have 5 bullets in your gun.

Shoot at the enemy not at the wall!

Upvote 0
Shoot at the enemy not at the wall!

I will but i won't engage him without a full rifle. And the only way to fill up my rifly is firing against the sky or a wall to empty it first.

Which gets us back the core of the suggestion the ability to top off the rifle in a more realistic way than basically emptying your weapon to fill it up.

Upvote 0