• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why are there no Soviet AT grenades?

Nikitn

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 31, 2010
They used AT grenades as their infantry AT weapon. Examples are shaped charge RPTG-6 which could pretty much crush any German panzer if it got a nice hit - without giving away the throrwers position (unlike the massive smoke coming from Panzershreck and its copy bazooka).

Last edited:
They used AT grenades as their infantry AT weapon. Examples are shaped charge RPTG-6 which could pretty much crush any German panzer if it got a nice hit - without giving away the throrwers position (unlike the massive smoke coming from Panzershreck and its copy bazooka).
Well first, the Panzerschreck was a copy of the Bazooka.

Second, I can imagine this would be mostly useless but I don't see a reason to not include it either. I mean, we have 3 Mosin Nagant variants so why not an AT grenade? Even if its just a shaped charge. It would be more realistic than the satchel charges too.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if you could do that. I'm not completely sure, but I think that shaped charges require direct contact with armor to damage it. Shaped charges guide the explosive power into one single direction. Logic states that you have to actually put it on the tank and then haul *** out of there. At least the most effective ones do. I know the Germans had that one grenade that had about 10 stick grenades stuck together. If you were to make a grenade that could destroy a tank in a radius, like killing people in a frag grenade, I would think (especially considering WWII era technological levels) it would have to be so big that you couldn't throw it at all, if not more than a few feet. Let alone 20 meters!

EDIT: OK I'm too lazy to go through my paragraph so I'm just going to say that it has come to my attention that there WERE thrown designs that had stabilization fins on them to ensure that the warhead hit the tank. I guess it would simply be a matter of judging the distance and getting it in the right spot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
That's what I thought. Tripewire don't have the balls for the Soviet AT grenade. It was 2 much for them.

They don't even dare 2 show their face in this thread!
The logical conclusion is while testing, the team decided that the AT grenades would have been about as useful as the PTRD was. It was probably true in real life as well. Do you really think that many AFVs were destroyed by people throwing shaped charges at them? With the infantry support that the tanks got? There's a limit to how far you can throw a big heavy thing like an AT grenade. You'd have to be REALLY close. Close enough to get mowed down by Panzergrenadiers. Plus the effective ones came in later in the war. So its not a stretch to think that TWI decided to just have the PTRD, so that it could be put on all maps regardless of what year they took place. Plus, as we all know, Panzerfausts are very easy to acquire as a Russian, so AT grenades would probably not even be used by players for that fact.

Upvote 0
Do you really think that many AFVs were destroyed by people throwing shaped charges at them?

Your suspicions are correct. As with the British, Americans, Germans, etc. the Red Army also conducted numerous rather rigorous BDA studies (Battle Damage Assessments) of German AFVs after various operations and battles. I have actually managed to obtain several of these studies over the years. Those studies that come to mind on this subject include detailed BDAs of captured German AFVs from both Kursk as well as the various operations around Lake Balaton. Of the numerous knocked-out German AFVs studied in both instances, none were attributed to being KO'd by HEAT penetrations.

This obviously isn

Upvote 0
Your suspicions are correct. As with the British, Americans, Germans, etc. the Red Army also conducted numerous rather rigorous BDA studies (Battle Damage Assessments) of German AFVs after various operations and battles. I have actually managed to obtain several of these studies over the years. Those studies that come to mind on this subject include detailed BDAs of captured German AFVs from both Kursk as well as the various operations around Lake Balaton. Of the numerous knocked-out German AFVs studied in both instances, none were attributed to being KO'd by HEAT penetrations.

This obviously isn

Upvote 0
IMHO , something preferable to banning the satchel charges completely would be to turn them in to "sticky satchels" , that would work only if you manage to glue them on the back of a tank or on its turret

I'm not aware of the difficulty of programming this (to make them sticky , and ineffective when it's not properly glued on the tank ) , but i guess it would be easier than adding a brand new weapon ( especially since Tripwire is working on their new game now ) and to my eyes better than removing the satchels charges completely because although it was essentially anti-tank guns , tanks and aviation that did the tank destroying job , "sticky bombs" were still used

Last edited:
Upvote 0