• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A shining RO2 moment.

Von_Mannheim

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 21, 2011
I've played a lot of FPS in my time, and RO2 has given me an experience that was completely unique with the stationary gun emplacement. It always seemed like an afterthought in most games, the only perk being infinite ammo if you could deal with the overheating. I know I'm only sharing an opinion here- but the stationary MGs in this game feel amazing.

MG nests were always that scary horrible thing in books and movies, in games they were less than glorious. When I sat on the gun and saw my enemies fly apart and scatter when I opened fire, I knew Tripwire had done something really special with their game.

This may seem like a small thing, but they are so well implemented that they can dominate the battlefield properly used and protected. The other team had to try a myriad of things, flanking, smoke and artillery to get my stubborn butt off that gun. I had a blast knowing it, and felt like a part of a team.

Don't know if my 2c belongs in this thread or not, but needed to put it down somewhere.

+1.

I think one of the most amazing experiences for me was on the HMG in Barracks. I was playing a Kraut rifleman, and the Soviets were closing in on the Propaganda house. Out of desperation, I jumped on the HMG and opened up. I managed to cut down 2-3 of them before they went into cover, then it became a waiting game. They would pop out of cover behind a window to take a shot, I would put bullets through the wall to kill them. At one point I even fired through my own walls to cut down a group that was trying to flank, double penetrating into the infirmary.

All in all, my little resistance totaled 7-8 kills and lasted about 15 seconds, long enough for my team to reenforce the Propaganda House before I got picked off, but the sensation of one guy holding off an entire army by himself was incredible.

Upvote 0
BY THE SPACE! Now with that system! And with what you described! Imagine in custom maps, REAL MG nest on the shore of a tropical island in Rising Storm, cutting down US troops! Or again, in a western mod a MG nest covering an entire bocage style road. And by real MG nest I'm talking about sandbags with a wooden top or something along this. Can't wait for mods and maps <3

Upvote 0
I haven't had much luck with the stationary MGs, but I loved using the DP28 on Spartanovka. The Germans took the first two caps zone (the gullies and the church). I ran from spawn with the DP28 and set up on the central road that leads to the last cap zone (white building with greenish roof bits). There are some destroyed vehicles on that road, and I simple went prone to just one side of the wrecked truck. That gave me a clear view of that main road all the way to the church. I went through all my ammo drums killing Germans as they tried to advance along the road and firing from the church area! I was even able to then get up, run back to re-supply and return to my "cover." I eventually was killed from a flanking German, but I have a great time with the MG (I had about 18 kills with that one life).

Upvote 0