• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

How was the Mosin Nagant made to not eject unspent rounds?

I notice that the Mosin Nagant doesn't eject unspent rounds while the K98k does? So you end up wasting a bullet when you want to top up the K98k.
As I understand it's a glitch.

Second if you don't want to "waste" a bullet, use manual bolting instead, so after you fired a shot, when you reload it'll only be a spent cartridge that's ejected.

Hope you understand.
The Mosin Nagant does indeed eject spent rounds. Their may be a graphics error in the game or you might just not be noticing it.

He means when you reload while stile having rounds in the magasine.

Reactions: angelangel
Upvote 0
I find it more likely that the developers are at fault here, rather than the rifle being able to cycle the bolt without extracting the chambered cartridge.

Would be nice though if the animation was tweaked so that the player catches the ejected (unspent) cartridges in mid-air, or cycles it in such a way that ends up in his hand directly, then includes it with the other cartridges for 'topping off' the magazine. I see people doing this all the time with auto-loading pistols and certain rifles.

Btw, does anyone know what happens if one has a half-full bolt action rifle similar to these, pull bolt open, MANUALLY insert a cartridge into the chamber, then attempt to close the bolt again? I imagine the bolt would get stuck 1/3 of the way forwards with a half-stripped cartridge poking at the back of the one in the chamber.

Upvote 0
Second if you don't want to "waste" a bullet, use manual bolting instead, so after you fired a shot, when you reload it'll only be a spent cartridge that's ejected..
That's possible? I never thought about that! I always try to keep the magazine topped off for times when I really need to fire repeatedly without delay. Meaning I was wasting several clips worth of cartridges over time. Great advice. I always use manual bolting and I love fiddling with little things like this.

This means it is even possible to shoot it like a single-shot rifle. After each shot, don't cycle the bolt, instead perform a reload, which will be a slightly slower bolt action, as a fresh cartridge is inserted in each cycle.

Upvote 0
Btw, does anyone know what happens if one has a half-full bolt action rifle similar to these, pull bolt open, MANUALLY insert a cartridge into the chamber, then attempt to close the bolt again? I imagine the bolt would get stuck 1/3 of the way forwards with a half-stripped cartridge poking at the back of the one in the chamber.
Most likely yes. It might be possible to keep the top round in the mag down with a finger while you move the bolt forward a little bit so it doesn't "get caught".

Upvote 0
That's possible? I never thought about that! I always try to keep the magazine topped off for times when I really need to fire repeatedly without delay. Meaning I was wasting several clips worth of cartridges over time. Great advice. I always use manual bolting and I love fiddling with little things like this.

This means it is even possible to shoot it like a single-shot rifle. After each shot, don't cycle the bolt, instead perform a reload, which will be a slightly slower bolt action, as a fresh cartridge is inserted in each cycle.
Yes it's possible. I've always played RO with manual bolting.

Reactions: Unterscharfuhrer
Upvote 0
This might be a bit off topic but:

If you are loading cartridges (not in a stripper clip) to your rifle, is it possible to cut the animation to fire the gun, before it is full loaded?
I honestly don't know. Seems like something one can try out in 5 seconds. I have no excuse, sir. (and neither do you :p )

I know that the reload can get interrupted by moving or changing stance, and then the magazine will not have loaded. Hopefully it will still keep count of individually inserted cartridges, even if one doesn't top off the magazine completely. Sometimes a hostile appears while I'm in the process of inserting them one by one, and I need to fire before finishing, and I think it usually works to just go to iron sights and fire.

Reactions: prowokator
Upvote 0
I find it more likely that the developers are at fault here, rather than the rifle being able to cycle the bolt without extracting the chambered cartridge.

Would be nice though if the animation was tweaked so that the player catches the ejected (unspent) cartridges in mid-air, or cycles it in such a way that ends up in his hand directly, then includes it with the other cartridges for 'topping off' the magazine. I see people doing this all the time with auto-loading pistols and certain rifles.

I have both K98 and Mosins. Both function the same (as do all bolt actions). If you have a round in the chamber and pull the bolt open and back partway, the round in the chamber will be pulled back in preperation to be ejected. You cannot insert another bullet into the magazine while doing this, until the chambered round (or empty cartridge) is ejected out of the way. I suppose you could if you fiddled with it manually, disengaging it from the extractor, but is not done without a lot of awkwardness if you wanted to do it fast.
Basically, the extractor "grabs" the rim of the shell to pull it out, that is how cycling rounds works in bolt rifles.

Now, if you had a full magazine and NO round in the chamber, you could pull the bolt most of the way open and insert another 6th round into the chamber and close the bolt, having 1 extra bullet ready (as long as the bolt is not pulled back far enough to "catch" the first round waiting in magazine. When cycling after this it will function as usual for shelll in chamber.

Upvote 0
I have both K98 and Mosins. Both function the same (as do all bolt actions). If you have a round in the chamber and pull the bolt open and back partway, the round in the chamber will be pulled back in preperation to be ejected. You cannot insert another bullet into the magazine while doing this, until the chambered round (or empty cartridge) is ejected out of the way. I suppose you could if you fiddled with it manually, disengaging it from the extractor, but is not done without a lot of awkwardness if you wanted to do it fast.
Basically, the extractor "grabs" the rim of the shell to pull it out, that is how cycling rounds works in bolt rifles.
Seems I had the right idea. :) The principle is much the same for all auto-loaders I think. I have life long firearm interest without ever getting to handle the real things. Only replicas and learning from a distance.

I am happy that you actually own both and willingly share your experiences on this forum. Maybe at some point, if there is demand, you could take some pictures showing up close the differences between the rifles, the bolt operation, a look into an open bolt, partial feeding, etc. And you might know the answer to a few related quick questions of mine here.. :) If you choose to reply to them, make it easy on yourself by typing the answers in a list similar to how I wrote the questions, with no need to quote each of mine.

1. The K98 has no resistance when pulling bolt open, but cocks the mechanism when pushing it forward, right? And the Mosin-Nagant is opposite. How light is the mechanism for each?

2. Which one is easier to cycle the bolt on whilst firing in battle conditions? The Mosin-Nagant's bolt is really large and obvious the way it protrudes (maybe it could even snag on stuff), and is rotated straight up. Seems like it was made for lower trained troops.

3. Which one is better designed for a noob soldier?

4. Which one is better designed for a properly trained soldier?

5. How 'easy' is it to load the rifles with a stripper clip? Dexterity, finding the right spot, etc. Especially compared to removable magazine type modern designs (detaching and attaching a magazine, then pushing a button or pulling a lever, is definitely very easy to do).

6. How about stripper clip versus just one cartridge at a time, like in the game? Fumbling around with loose rounds in the pocket and then inserting them into the magazine seems finicky.

7. Did the WWII soldiers top off the magazine with individual rounds, or did they just make sure it was empty and insert a stripper clip instead?

8. I wish RO2 let us use a separate button to cycle the bolt ("R" for example), and that it could be cycled anytime for any reason. Reloading would remain as now. What do you think? :)

Now, if you had a full magazine and NO round in the chamber, you could pull the bolt most of the way open and insert another 6th round into the chamber and close the bolt, having 1 extra bullet ready (as long as the bolt is not pulled back far enough to "catch" the first round waiting in magazine. When cycling after this it will function as usual for shelll in chamber.
How can you get five rounds into the magazine and have the bolt closed over them? Have to open the bolt to load the 5 in there, then when closing it, it will feed one round. It would not make sense to first try to close it without feeding, then partially opening it to fit one in the chamber. Might as well fit it while the bolt was open during loading. Or did I misunderstand something? I guess you can do that thumb trick with trying to hold the rounds down while closing the bolt as previously suggested. It would be nice to have 6 rounds. Can never have too many.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You only ever had Manual bolting in RO.

Not quite :) In RO1 this is true, but in the original version of RO:CA bolting was automatic. Pretty sure that was both UT2K3 and 2K4 versions, but may be wrong there. Certainly when I first played RO1, manual bolting was new to me. It may have been an option in RO:CA, but I don't think so.

Upvote 0
5. How 'easy' is it to load the rifles with a stripper clip? Dexterity, finding the right spot, etc. Especially compared to removable magazine type modern designs (detaching and attaching a magazine, then pushing a button or pulling a lever, is definitely very easy to do).

Finding the right spot to place the stripper clip is fairly easy with enough practice, though if you're not concentrating it can be missed and when you try to push the rounds in it can go awry. The main difficulty I've found is the act of actually removing the stripper from your ammo pouch. IMHO games vastly underestimate the amount of time it takes to reload a K98k, the procedure is as follows:

1. Open bolt.
2. Try and remember which pouches still have ammunition remaining, then open one.
3. Remove a stripper clip (the pouches have two strippers in each compartment and they are wedged in very tightly so it can often be a challenge retreiving one, this usually takes a few seconds in itself.)
4. Place the stripper clip in the correct position, and press down on the rounds to load them in the magazine. If your stripper clips and rounds have not been sufficiently oiled then can take a bit of force.
5. Close bolt.
6. Close the compartment on the ammo pouch.

In total it usually takes at least 15 seconds providing nothing goes wrong.

Upvote 0
I think people are just getting confused from hitting reload with a full gun. It seems the first time you hit R when you spawn it will load +1 in the chamber. Hit it again and he just checks it, pulling the bolt back enough to see the round but not far enough for it to eject. Looks perfect I <3 TWI I had to do a double take though on the mosin full reload animation, but there is indeed a round on the bolt face.

Upvote 0
Seems I had the right idea. :) The principle is much the same for all auto-loaders I think. I have life long firearm interest without ever getting to handle the real things. Only replicas and learning from a distance.

I am happy that you actually own both and willingly share your experiences on this forum. Maybe at some point, if there is demand, you could take some pictures showing up close the differences between the rifles, the bolt operation, a look into an open bolt, partial feeding, etc. And you might know the answer to a few related quick questions of mine here.. :) If you choose to reply to them, make it easy on yourself by typing the answers in a list similar to how I wrote the questions, with no need to quote each of mine.

1. The K98 has no resistance when pulling bolt open, but cocks the mechanism when pushing it forward, right? And the Mosin-Nagant is opposite. How light is the mechanism for each?

2. Which one is easier to cycle the bolt on whilst firing in battle conditions? The Mosin-Nagant's bolt is really large and obvious the way it protrudes (maybe it could even snag on stuff), and is rotated straight up. Seems like it was made for lower trained troops.

3. Which one is better designed for a noob soldier?

4. Which one is better designed for a properly trained soldier?

6. How about stripper clip versus just one cartridge at a time, like in the game? Fumbling around with loose rounds in the pocket and then inserting them into the magazine seems finicky.

7. Did the WWII soldiers top off the magazine with individual rounds, or did they just make sure it was empty and insert a stripper clip instead?

8. I wish RO2 let us use a separate button to cycle the bolt ("R" for example), and that it could be cycled anytime for any reason. Reloading would remain as now. What do you think? :)

How can you get five rounds into the magazine and have the bolt closed over them? Have to open the bolt to load the 5 in there, then when closing it, it will feed one round. It would not make sense to first try to close it without feeding, then partially opening it to fit one in the chamber. Might as well fit it while the bolt was open during loading. Or did I misunderstand something? I guess you can do that thumb trick with trying to hold the rounds down while closing the bolt as previously suggested. It would be nice to have 6 rounds. Can never have too many.

1. No, both have no resistance when pulling the bolt back, other than friction, which is very little. They both have slightly more resistance when pushing forward a round into the chamber but even then, for me I'd consider that fairly insignificant as well.

2. The bolts size and protrusion is not really an issue (though I've never fired either in battle conditions lol). The K98's I have cycle smoothly and both my Nagants have a bit of a stiff bolt when cocking it, but not when drawing back or pushing forward. This is a common issue with Mosin Nagants, but again, not all that significant. The rifles were both issued for a reason, reliability and durability and I'd say personally I find the K98 more smooth and it's being slightly shorter might make it easier to manouvre around with in urban settings.

3. Both. The rifles "design" and ease of use is virtually identical.

4. Same answer, both.

5. Stripper clips are fairly easy to push down into the magazine. When only loading 5 rounds I would say I would choose the stripper clips over magazines because carrying around multiple detachable magazines is more weight and takes up more space than stripper clips, which are just as easy and take only slightly longer to load. When talking about more rounds, 10, 20 or 30, the stripper clips just don't cut it, the can't be too long and would take too long to load 6 of them for a 30 round magazine. So in those cases with modern firearms the detachable magazine makes sense; this the switch in design.

6. stripper clip vs. single rounds. Stripper is faster yes. Not sure about the actual case but I'd make sure I had both on me if I was in the setting in game.

7. Not sure, I would make a straight guess that they did both when they needed to.

8. What would be the purpose of another button to cycle the bolt. Unless you have fired a round, why would you want to cycle bolt in game?

As for the last question, yes, to get a 6th round in the chamber while the magazine was full with 5 already you would have to push the 5 rounds down while moving the bolt forward partway, thereby not "grabbing" a round to load and giving you space to put the 6th in chamber. Again though, it seems like an extra effort for 1 more shot when you can just fire the 5 then load 5 more.

*edit* I notice how my "stripper clips" lined up on answer 5 LOL....

Reactions: Tweek
Upvote 0
8. What would be the purpose of another button to cycle the bolt. Unless you have fired a round, why would you want to cycle bolt in game?

I can only think of one reason, but at the time, it's a good one. Sometimes I find myself in a predicament. I've fired a shot, but I don't really have time to bolt it. I'll bayonet a guy and bug out, but I might get into another struggle and another run, and if it's hectic enough I can lose track of whether I have a round loaded or not. Or, I might do something that prevents the bolt from happening and not realise it, like going prone or soemthing.

So I'm finally out of sight, hidden again, but they are still close, and I don't know if my rifle is loaded. What to do? At the moment I have to pull the trigger and hope it is not loaded, or the rifle fires and I now have an empty rifle, and the bad guys know where I am again.

If I don't want to risk an accidental discharge, I have to either do a full reload, or just take the risk that I won't hear dead man's click. It would be nice to be able to cycle the bolt ejecting a round whether it is spent or not, so that at least you know it is loaded and ready to fire.

However, an extra button is starting to push it. Too many buttons get confusing, and awkward. At least the way it is, if you're like me and are used to doing double taps, you'll find you are a wizard at bolting. I have fired three shots for every shot an enemy using auto-bolting has fired at me, on more than one occasion. That usually means I win the battle.

In fact I'm not sure if it's the same with auto-bolting because I have never used it, but if you do the "double tap" method of firing and bolting as quickly as possible, the rifle doesn't even leave IS, so you don't lose the target and can see the fall of shot and adjust your fire easily, and you can fire almost as fast as the semis do.

I just had an idea... if you press the reload button and the rifle isn't empty and the round in the chamber is spent, it should pull the bolt back a little way, see the round, then close it again. Only if you push the reload button again at that point will it start reloading. If you have no rounds or the cartridge is spent, it just reloads as usual. This way you can use the reload mechanic to at least check to see if you have a loaded live round, and the worst that can happen is you have to reload after the next shot if you are surprised.

Last edited:
Reactions: dazman76
Upvote 0