• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Honor" - too fast/too easy ?

"Honor" - too fast/too easy ?

• It's already too hard, decrease the difficulty please

Votes: 10 10.8%
  • It's perfect, leave it like that

Votes: 30 32.3%
  • Should be harder (50-200%)

Votes: 26 28.0%
  • Should be much harder (200%-1000%)

Votes: 27 29.0%

• Total voters

Goten

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 1, 2011
Hey,

I played this beta for 62 hours (at least that's what Steam tells me).

My "honor" reached level 53 - I feel this is too fast, way too fast to be honest. I'm a player who finishes in top 5 most of the rounds :)p) and perhaps others are "advancing" slower, but I still think it's too fast.

I don't know, I just feel that 100 something hours to reach the top are ... insufficient.

Another aspect is that it seems to be very easy - you just need to be in the game. One time I connected when a game was about to end and after 3 seconds when it ended I received 50 points just for ... being there.

Also, when you teamkill you're not punished enough - you get -10 or something per teamkill, but that -10 at the end it's nothing because you receive hundreds of XP points for capping and killing. I feel that TK should be much more severe, something that if you kill 3-4 people you can finish first and still get no points or even finish with a minus in "honor". I propose something like -80 per teamkill (-40 if you are lucky to get a "np").

So .... what do you guys think: "honor" should be something that everyone who played the game for a few weeks should get or do you (like me) consider that you need to show much more dedication and just some (without "much") skill to get it ?

REMEMBER: afaik "honor" is just something that doesn't affect gameplay, it's just pride and cosmetic stuff. It's not like weapon progress where what you achieved really affects the gameplay.

Reactions: Howitzer114
Since leveling doesn't seem to work for me I cant really say. Still the fact is some people will always level up fast.

The only way to stop this is to makes leveling almost impossible unless you devote all your time and are great player, and this only punishes people that cant.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think it is set just right. This is not an MMORPG where it's supposed to take a month to hit max level so you can hit "end-game" content. There is no end-game content and the honour level is not central to the philosophy of the game. MMORPGs make it slow progress to keep you paying your $14.99 a month subscription.

What would making it longer solve? I note you say you've got 60+ hours in the beta. For a "casual" gamer, that's a months worth right there. Now it's true, you have put in more play-time. But there's no end-game content. You still get to have the unlocks before the other people.

In short, levelling up is not the central theme of Red Orchestra 2. Shooting people, is.

Upvote 0
I think it is set just right. This is not an MMORPG where it's supposed to take a month to hit max level so you can hit "end-game" content. There is no end-game content and the honour level is not central to the philosophy of the game. MMORPGs make it slow progress to keep you paying your $14.99 a month subscription.

The big exception here is that this "honor" thing doesn't affect gameplay. In MMORPGs you NEED the leveling up.

What will affect gameplay is the weapons leveling, but I'm not discussing this.

What would making it longer solve? I note you say you've got 60+ hours in the beta. For a "casual" gamer, that's a months worth right there. Now it's true, you have put in more play-time. But there's no end-game content. You still get to have the unlocks before the other people.

Will solve nothing because there is no problem to be resolved, it's just for bragging rights :)

Yes, I played too much this week ... free time, good game ;)

In short, levelling up is not the central theme of Red Orchestra 2. Shooting people, is.

True ! Honor is just a bonus :p

I respect your opinion and nice post right there.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In under 20 hours of gameplay, I'm honor 57 or so. However, I know that it bugged me there. I was like at 27 or so and suddenly I was 47 :D

So I can't really give you an objective view whether it's too fast or not, that bug sure made it fast lol.

But on the topic, 60 hours of playing to get little over halfway (supposing 100 is max as the server browser seems to imply) definitely seems fine, but also that it probably gets slower the higher you get. You play a lot compared to the majority.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Will solve nothing because there is no problem to be resolved, it's just for bragging rights :)

Yes, I played too much this week ... free time, good game ;)

Do they have a "time played" stat? If so, surely that's a perfect bragging right? :)

True ! Honor is just a bonus :p

I respect your opinion and nice post right there.

Thank you. Consider your opinion also respected ;)

Upvote 0
I agree. long before beta started we were under the impression that negative Honor would be a bad thing and TK ers etc would end up being denied access to the high Honor servers.

Thats all well and good in theory..However ive found that its almost impossible to gain negative Honor by the end of a match.

Ive spent whole matches TK ing any targets i come across (I appologise for being a douche i was testing:) ) And it seems that any negative Honor gained from Tks is erased at the end of a match by the huge amounts you get for winning or helping to take just one cap.

Im hoping its just a case of adjusting Honor gain and negative honor gains, to better balance the system, that is after all what a beta is for.

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
I agree that Team Killing or even Wounding for that matter should go punished more severely but I don't think its as black and white. For example one round I got punished x amount of points for apparent team killing or wounding? Something that I can't remember doing because I was the squad leader so if anything I probably got it because a team member ran into one of my nades. In those instances I wish the system could detect whether it was the fault of your own, or your own idiotic team mate.

So like the example above, two scenarios
a) Throw a grenade, team mate obliviously runs into it. His fault, not yours. Shouldn't be given dishonour punishment

b) Throw nade without appreciating your surroundings (where team mates are etc) clearly your fault for throwing a nade blindly to where a team mate could be. Killing team mate - your fault. Dishonour punishment

I at the moment don't have the luxury of being able to play as much as I want to so my honour isnt as high as it could be compared to other players! I just hope that the unlocks and honour system does not adversely affect game play as the whole achievements+unlocks system in TF2 worked. I had TF2/Orange Box since beta but didnt play too frequently. But now that I find when I join a game its almost unjoinable because other players who play 24/7 have all the weapons etc etc so I'm put at a disadvantage.

Don't get me wrong I think that players who play more should get more honour, its logical but I hope the unlocks system doesnt completely throw out the game!

Upvote 0
Im hoping its just a case of adjusting Honor gain and negative honor gains, to better balance the system, that is after all what a beta is for.

People can accidentally TK several times in the round and it could be extremely punishing, especially when the vast majority of them (for me) is when someone walks in front of my rifle fire.

That said, perhaps there could be some kind of weight that is multiplied the more a TK occurs *within a single round*. So the first TK is -2 points, the second -3, the next -5, etc etc. I try and be careful and TK's happen rarely for me, even the "walk in front of my fire" types. So I'm pretty confident that I'd rarely exit a round with more than perhaps -3. A dedicated TK'er on the other hand...

Upvote 0
To sum it up, what's wrong with Honor leveling right now is you can Teamkill once if you killed an enemy twice.
In other words, if 1 kill out of 4 is a teamkill, it's ok, your honor level is still going up.
It should be either much more punishing or much less rewarding.
For instance you shouldn't get honor points for a kill, unless the enemy was in a capzone.

Reactions: Goten
Upvote 0
For instance you shouldn't get honor points for a kill, unless the enemy was in a capzone.

The trouble with this approach, I feel, is that it is perfectly valid and a good tactic to disrupt the enemy outside of cap-zones. Not all good sniping/rifling spots are going to be within cap-zones. Snipers and riflemen (or indeed, anyone) who disrupts the enemy on their way to the cap-zone, helps those in the cap-zone so that when the force does arrive (if at all), it is reduced in number, helping the defenders of the cap-zone to keep it in check.

One could also argue that "lone-wolf" style play disrupts the enemy (it does), but I am making a point out of long-range attacks for the sole purpose of cutting down the amount of force that actually reaches the cap zone.

Why penalise players? You already get a bonus for killing within a cap-zone, so there is plenty of encouragement to do just that.

Upvote 0
Kind of a way to bump my topic ...

I played Station today (2 rounds) and I got a better look at the Honor thing ...

I finished first overall (even in the most Dishonorable category) and I still got 355 points (I'm not bragging, honestly I'm just surprised that the most Dishonorable guy can get that many points).
What I really don't like is why I've got penalized just 12 points: 1 teamkill and I believe 2 injuries (all with arty). It should have been more, much more, somewhere next to 100. If TWI keeps this style of scoring not only everybody will get Honor 100 very fast but also teamkillers will have a blast: you kill 4 people: -40 points, you injure a teammate you get -1 ... All this "dishonoring" thing is canceled if you get 100, 200, 300 etc at the end of the game.

I hope that TWI will do something, teamkilling should be penalized more severe.

Also ... anyone knows how Match Bonus is calculated ?

Attachments

• 2011-09-11_00003.jpg
    2011-09-11_00003.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-11_00004.jpg
    2011-09-11_00004.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 2011-09-11_00005.jpg
    2011-09-11_00005.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Imo the whole honor thing should be more skill/performance based rather than just being in the game as it is now. Comparing the influence each player had on the outcome of the round and giving points accordingly would be a good start. Kills and in which circumstances they were made should of course give some points, but only minor.

Upvote 0