• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Single Player

SOAD

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 10, 2006
Haven't posted on these forums for ages! (lurking for RO2)

Anyhoo having searched and checked the FAQ/what is known threads, can anyone give any idea how the single player will work? Is it story driven or just hunt-the-retard (ai) on the multiplayer maps?

Not that im that bothered, mp is where its going to at, but if it is the latter i would rather they had spent the time on the mp portion (in the sense that the mode will probably be played once when i first boot up the game and never again).

Last edited:
From what I've heard, hunt the retards is confirmed, but I've only heard rumors on campaigns, and don't have any citation.

However, hunt the retards can be somewhat difficult when you are attacking on Konigplatz, can't find any tanks, and all your allies are searching their own satchel charges for candies (honestly, I rarely saw allied troops when I played ROOst singleplayer)

Upvote 0
I do not know if it will be story driven or hunt down the retards...

Those two are generally the same thing. Story driven would be pretty dull for a game that's supposed to be historically accurate, I think general scenarios or battle recreations would be feasible, provided there was some way to choreograph the AI.

Upvote 0
enjoying the general use of hunt the retards :D

however was not meant to be offensive, am sure the AI will be an improvement!

What I meant was that the 'retard' bots would be 'unreal tournament' style in that they will just be 'bots' competing on what is essentially a multiplayer map (equivalent to joining a online server in which all the other players are bots), as opposed to ai that is scripted to react in ways that mimic they are under orders from some kind of human commander (i.e. advancing together etc.)

If it is the former im not sure how it can be justified in the game blurb as a 'single player campaign' which is why I presume its something more, yet very few details are known at this late stage (game release later q1-early q2?).

From what I've heard, hunt the retards is confirmed, but I've only heard rumors on campaigns, and don't have any citation.

From the games 'overview' page:

'Stalingrad Campaign: The Stalingrad campaign will feature the multiplayer maps used in a campaign layout recreating the battle for Stalingrad from both the German and Russian sides. This will be enhanced with story elements through the form of mission introductions and in-game cinematic sequences that begin and end the campaign.'

which explains how it will be story driven, but not whether it will be the retard driven anarchy I envisage or not.

(the reason I presume the bots won't be able to work together is that I assume they have been developed in terms of filling slots on half-empty servers, hence will not need to be 'scripted' in the same way)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
What I meant was that the 'retard' bots would be 'unreal tournament' style in that they will just be 'bots' competing on what is essentially a multiplayer map (equivalent to joining a online server in which all the other players are bots), as opposed to ai that is scripted to react in ways that mimic they are under orders from some kind of human commander (i.e. advancing together etc.)
which would make them look like ai and not real players :troll:

which explains how it will be story driven, but not whether it will be just like pub servers I envisage or not.

fixed :troll:

Upvote 0