• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Clearly define the role of an SL and Commander

Dancing

Sep 8, 2011
I think the SL and the Commander have rather pointless roles beyond being moving spawns, calling in Arty and Recon.

I have been playing as an SL exclusively to try and get a better understanding of the role but I often feels it's very trivial. No one listens to the SL at all. I know if you press the F key and tell your squad to follow, attack or move to a location they do see it but often times they seem to ignore it. I often only ask people to follow me or attack objectives at angles I see an opening. Very often they will actually either be going lone wolf, shooting a few feet from spawn OR doing the exact opposite of what I suggested to them.

Ex.
This morning I played on the barracks map as soviets. Everyone on the soviet side were complaining that axis was "spawn camping" and when I looked at the map I saw an opening that if they were to go down Column 7 and stop I think it was at F and take a right and enter the building we could cap it. I used the in game command to ask people to follow me. I went down 7 and made the right and got into the building... I sat inside the building for 4 minutes before being killed. I never saw anyone from my squad even try to get inside. IN FACT I had one guy complain the map was unbalanced because he stayed near spawn and just kept going for kills. I was dumb founded by this logic. He then switched to Axis so he could win.

As for the Commander it's the same with the SL's... I don't feel the Commander listens to the SL's at all or vice versa. One thing I think would be majorly influential on how the Commander interacts with the SL's is by making it so only SL's can spot for arty ONLY and the commander has to choose amongst his SL's spots. I also think the SL's need to be highlighted on spawn selection because it can be hard to see them. I also think SL's should spawn off of the Commander.

Also being near an SL has to have some kinda bonus. I would suggest extra points for making kills and taking objectives next to an SL or making kills or controlling an area the SL has suggested. I think this could work for SL's as well by making the SL gain points for listening to a Commander by attacking the location he suggests or making kills around him. I would also suggest giving the Commander the ability to draw on maps when he is near radio's and it filters down to SL's which filter down to any troops near the SL.

I also think the SL and the Commander should be held responsible for the roles they have. I think at the end of the match you should be able to cast a vote to deduct or increase the points of the commander or SL by1 based off their performance.

what do you all think?

P.S. I think team, squad and all text chat should be color coded.

Well if commands could be made in map interface by clicking the map ppl would use em more and if it would mark clear lines for squads to follow instead of just spot.. "Move here". And what about color coding squads on commander map the whole "i dont have faintest idea where this squad is but i want it on left flank thing" is going to be ignored EVERYTIME because its just stupid :rolleyes:

ps... squads are too large anything above 5 man strong will scatter :cool:
small squads usually stick together.

Upvote 0