• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

HoS biggest competitor

DraKon2k

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Vienna, Austria
Which game do you think will be HoS' biggest competitor?

Personally I see it like this:

Homefront -> I expect this game to die after 2 months, so it shouldn't be any harm to HoS

Brink -> Sure one of the biggest MP games this year, but it's something completely different than HoS so I'd rather expect people to play both games at the same time, at least that's what I'm gonna do

Next Call of Duty -> with the next CoD being developed by IW+Sledgehammer+Raven Software I expect it to be mediocre at best(or for the haters: even more mediocre), starting the downfall of the CoD series. Also I don't see the CoD community as a real target area for new HoS players

Battlefield 3 -> This is where it gets problematic. If we expect HoS to come out Q1/Q2 and BF3 in late 2011 there is a huge chance that BF3 will take away many players from HoS. My main fear is that now with quite a few BF veterans pissed off and moving to HoS, they might go back to BF3 if it's a) modern warfare b) not a total screw-up c) a real BF3 and not BC3.

Maybe it would be good to release Rising Storm/one of the other mods in Late 2011 (if possible) to make sure BF3 doesn't have too much of a hit on the HoS audience.

Some pretty interesting thoughts here, I just hope that BF3 turns out to be as good as a CoD title, or be a out of proportions excellent game that will benefit all of us...

That other thread about game themes in the off topic section reminded me of sooo many older games that were really good despite having crappy graphics and half the features of today's games. When a cutscene or scripted event actually mattered and made you wanna replay the mission just to see it again, not wish that it will end as soon as possible so that you get to play a bit (and have less god damn explosions in it)

Upvote 0
Which game do you think will be HoS' biggest competitor?

Personally I see it like this:

Homefront -> I expect this game to die after 2 months, so it shouldn't be any harm to HoS

Brink -> Sure one of the biggest MP games this year, but it's something completely different than HoS so I'd rather expect people to play both games at the same time, at least that's what I'm gonna do

Next Call of Duty -> with the next CoD being developed by IW+Sledgehammer+Raven Software I expect it to be mediocre at best(or for the haters: even more mediocre), starting the downfall of the CoD series. Also I don't see the CoD community as a real target area for new HoS players

Battlefield 3 -> This is where it gets problematic. If we expect HoS to come out Q1/Q2 and BF3 in late 2011 there is a huge chance that BF3 will take away many players from HoS. My main fear is that now with quite a few BF veterans pissed off and moving to HoS, they might go back to BF3 if it's a) modern warfare b) not a total screw-up c) a real BF3 and not BC3.

Maybe it would be good to release Rising Storm/one of the other mods in Late 2011 (if possible) to make sure BF3 doesn't have too much of a hit on the HoS audience.

Well BF3 is not coming late 2011, it's coming mid 2011, the beta begins in June....It is modern warfare.

Upvote 0
There are no competitors, it's a different target audience. Like what, 1% of frequent cod players have even heard of Red Orchestra, let alone have bothered looking into it?

BF3 obviesly, if DICE manages to make even somewhat decent pc version, i'll expect it to take quite large chunk of HoS's playerbase
The current playerbase for ROOST is easily large enough to hop on a game whenever you like. As long as people buy hos, nobody cares whether they play it, that same frequent/casual ROOST playerbase is always going to be there playing it frequently. and that's easily enough to play the game. might take a brief vacation to this fictional "BF3" that may or may not come out in the next 1-3 years, but I doubt BF3 will have enough substance to keep you playing forever, at least till you run out of guns to unlock.

What I'm saying is the Red Orchestra playerbase is the Red Orchetra playerbase. The Battlefield playerbase is the Battlefield playerbase, etc. People from those playerbases might BUY other games, but as long as they've bought them it doesn't matter if they play it forever, seeing as there's always going to be enough people to actually play the games in the first place. It not like "Oh, I like battlefield so I'm not going to buy HOS, ever."

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The only game there that has a hope in hells chance of getting close to something of Red Orchestra's scale and style. Is the new Battlefield. And with that most likley being modern, I doubt it would detract from the ww2 playerbase of Red Orchestra that much. As, Knowing DICE. It will end up a console port.

Hopefully I'm wrong, and HoS gets some competition... Healthy competition is good for both the playerbase, the game and the company. We get a better game, both companies get more money. And the games get more publicity. :)

And if it all goes wrong, we can still sit here and laugh at the other games. :p

Upvote 0
Lets check what BF3 might offer. In beginning is worth to say, that Battlefield 3 will be released for consoles, so game in 80% will be ported to PC or have console limitations. I don't trust what EA/Dice are saying, that they take care of PC version since its just commercial babble.

There will be not:
- dedicated server files
- mod tools and mods
- clan/competitive support
- free updates/new content
- realism
- new features
- optimalization
- advanced AC support

There will be:
- fast and fun gameplay
- bunny hoppers
- mobile spawns, which ruined good old Vietnam gameplay
- famous DICE support
- huge commercial campaign in specific for CoD, MoH and BF theme ("I'll awesome soldier in that game so i must buy it!")
- balanced to limits gameplay, weapons, maps, perks whatever
- one-man-army classes

RO2 is different type of FPS game, for different kind of players with different needs.

ps. Back in past I loved that game, but it turned into brainless shooter from console.

Upvote 0
the rest of the crap coming out isn't even in the same league as ro2. aside from a few sim games and the rare gem or two, there is absolutely nothing else worth buying out there.

15 minutes of cheap shallow gameplay isn't worth more than a dime, but apparently a lot of people are willing to fork over 60 bucks for it(20-30 dollars more for stickers and a plastic toy).

Upvote 0
RO2 will be better than anything DICE will do... I do agree that RO2 is in a different league. The problem, is that the average Joe doesn't know that. And its hard to transmit to them all that info without looking like "you are trying too hard".

Marketing makes people buy games.

Quality makes people play them.

RO2 needs both to be successful, and I'm afraid that BF3 will win in the marketing category.

Upvote 0
Battlefield 3 of course. The other three for a fact are going to be console ports.

We'll see what BF3's going to offer in March.

Homefront actually isnt, you should investigate abit more. I think Homefront has just as much potential as Battlefield since its developed by Kaos which consist of ex modders and PC guys which also happens to have worked on the famous BF1942 Desert Combat.

They've already confirmed post-launch mod support, dedicated servers(public server files as well), and all the PC specific features you would expect such as browsers etc. They were recently invite to the bashandslash network for an interview which was really interesting.
http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1220&Itemid=69

As for other games being good, i hope that you aint "hoping" every other game out there shall fail just because it would benefit RO:HOS? We've a cluster ****ed market on the PC side as it is, we need every possible decent game we can get, and yes they are extremely rare.

Do i think BF3 will be a good pc game and a true sequel.. no I dont but I sure hope so for the sake of PC gamers and the PC community. Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad will be a great installment and a true PC title, but we need more of these.

Last edited:
Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
Homefront actually isnt, you should investigate abit more. I think Homefront has just as much potential as Battlefield since its developed by Kaos which consist of ex modders and PC guys which also happens to have worked on the famous BF1942 Desert Combat.

They've already confirmed post-launch mod support, dedicated servers(public server files as well), and all the PC specific features you would expect such as browsers etc. They were recently invite to the bashandslash network for an interview which was really interesting.
http://bashandslash.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1220&Itemid=69

As for other games being good, i hope that you aint "hoping" every other game out there shall fail just because it would benefit RO:HOS? We've a cluster ****ed market on the PC side as it is, we need every possible decent game we can get, and yes they are extremely rare.

Do i think BF3 will be a good pc game and a true sequel.. no I dont but I sure hope so for the sake of PC gamers and the PC community. Red Orchestra Heroes of Stalingrad will be a great installment and a true PC title, but we need more of these.

Homefront is abysmal, no dedicated servers, oh and did I mention it's a retarded console port that plays terrible in every facet?

Reactions: Murphy
Upvote 0
Lets check what BF3 might offer. In beginning is worth to say, that Battlefield 3 will be released for consoles, so game in 80% will be ported to PC or have console limitations. I don't trust what EA/Dice are saying, that they take care of PC version since its just commercial babble.

There will be not:
- dedicated server files
- mod tools and mods
- clan/competitive support
- free updates/new content
- realism
- new features
- optimalization
- advanced AC support

There will be:
- fast and fun gameplay
- bunny hoppers
- mobile spawns, which ruined good old Vietnam gameplay
- famous DICE support
- huge commercial campaign in specific for CoD, MoH and BF theme ("I'll awesome soldier in that game so i must buy it!")
- balanced to limits gameplay, weapons, maps, perks whatever
- one-man-army classes

RO2 is different type of FPS game, for different kind of players with different needs.

ps. Back in past I loved that game, but it turned into brainless shooter from console.

Well sorry but that is complete and utter* bs, don't just make stuff up. It might have some console limitations which is bad enough but that list is bs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Homefront is abysmal, no dedicated servers, oh and did I mention it's a retarded console port that plays terrible in every facet?

Umm, are you being an idiot on purpose?
Homefront has dedicated servers confirmed even on the consoles and on the PC the public server files will be released day one.

Reactions: illinifan
Upvote 0
I disagree, there are more good PC games out there than we have time for. So we don't need those crappy FPS to succeed.

Really?
I think the last good PC game I bought within the fps genre was Cod4, prior to that it was RO, its obviously a matter of opinion from person to person but are you denying that we need good games?

Seriously, all we're getting are ports and consolified games as of 2005+(the rise of the console generation) most of the time, like I said we need all the quality games we can get to succeed as great PC titles, how can anyone seriously want other games to fail in favor for one game, just because you prefer this one.

When I said decent I meant games that are catering to the PC needs, no dumbed down ports, no lack of mod tools or dedis, proper support/drm etc, and that my friend we do need.. be it for BF3 or RO:HOS I don't really care its good for the community as a whole.

It hurts but seriously theres no shortage of games that has been rendered useless
when trying to cater to "all" or casual due to the consoles...

Rainbox Six (Remember Raven Shield? good stuff)
Red Alert / C&C series
Splinter Cell
Ghost Recon
Battlefield
Call of Duty
Medal of Honor

and the list could go on forever..

Last edited:
Upvote 0