• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hip-firing MGs are fine

Upvote 0
I have no problem hipfiring an MG in RO.

Though I only use hipfire for when I'm coming around a corner and don't know what's there, ie: it's perfect for close/medium ranges or in-closed areas. As it goes for long distances, I'll either take cover and go IS or go prone and IS..... It's not very wise to try and hip fire someone at a distance due to the lack of accuracy, you'll give away your position faster than you'll take them down I find.

Upvote 0
Ever heard of pistol?

And for the rest of your argument, I don't think it's the slightest bit realistic if the guy can just shoot you the second he sees you.

Yes hip-firing an MG is possible, but you have to get in a certain solid stance so you don't fall on your butt from the recoil.

Try it, then we will talk, stop "guessing and makeing assumptions"....

If Wikipedia is correct, he only had 15 guys. While the Japanese had 3000. From what I read on Wikipedia, this man was a hero.

Bested by an german though ;)
Heinrich Severloh

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No. The Recoil while deployed is realistic. The most realistic MG I've ever seen in a FPS.

However the Hip shooting is way to unrealistic. I prefered in RO1 where you had to Right Click to hip fire and you walked. Kinda like you was in a proper position to handle the recoil.

make it more like heavy veapons guy then - you go to start shooting and your guy slows down :)

On a side note - it reminded me of this video :p

KORD 12,7 mm machine gun(Shooting a machine gun, standing) - YouTube

Upvote 0
No. The Recoil while deployed is realistic. The most realistic MG I've ever seen in a FPS.

However the Hip shooting is way to unrealistic. I prefered in RO1 where you had to Right Click to hip fire and you walked. Kinda like you was in a proper position to handle the recoil.

Totally approve, and it should drain your stamina too.

Upvote 0
Yes in no way am I saying that hipshooting MGs is impossible -- of course it is possible, but is most effective when the player is STATIONARY. Right now its really really easy to fire the thing hipped while running which makes no sense.

I'm guessing the DP is the same since I keep getting sniped by guys shooting them from the hip on the move.

My problem with being in MG role is that it's rare to find a good field of fire. Usually the maps are too small or not designed with bottlenecks. Rifles are just as good at killing on the maps I've played so far, setting up an MG is just an easy way to get killed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Actually it's not realistic. Go watch any video of an MG34 being fired and you will see it has far less muzzle climb in real life than it does in game. The recoil in game is rediculous on both MG's.

Upvote 0
I enjoy hip firing the machine gun. I've killed someone at a range of 49 meters with hip fire so far. I'll get better at it though. It's a skill.

A lot of people are whining about direct things. "This MG doesn't do well in this situation...so the MG should be better or other things should be worse". This isn't the problem. The problem is things like bullet penetration which means even if your in cover behind a window. You'll still get shot.

Upvote 0
Actually it's not realistic. Go watch any video of an MG34 being fired and you will see it has far less muzzle climb in real life than it does in game. The recoil in game is rediculous on both MG's.

Looking down the sights and firing yourself vs. watching someone fire from a video will give that impression. Especially with automatic weapons. I'm sure the shooter's view IRL looks quite similar to RO2's.

Upvote 0