• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Game] Project Zomboid

Next we will continue these mini-updates, all the while working on saving in the background in order to open up multiple map cells. Yay!

Mental note: If ever designing a game, work out saving the data before you ask people for money. It kind of amazes me they want as far as they did into development without even addressing saving out the map file and character details.

Reactions: Makino
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
To make matters worse, Lemmy literally went on drunken Twitter rampage and flamed the hell out of a lot of people, (including, I guess, Reddit?) and now is reaping fistfuls of internet hate.

I got all the respect for an indie devs, but I have to say this. From Day 1 PZ has reeked of amateur hour, and I say that as an amateur. The game is in no way equal to the experience of the Indiestone Team; the game is great, but the way they have handled virtually every non-game aspect, from PR to distribution to communication....has been one problem after another.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To make matters worse, Lemmy literally went on drunken Twitter rampage and flamed the hell out of a lot of people, (including, I guess, Reddit?) and now is reaping fistfuls of internet hate.

I got all the respect for an indie devs, but I have to say this. From Day 1 PZ has reeked of amateur hour, and I say that as an amateur. The game is in no way equal to the experience of the Indiestone Team; the game is great, but the way they have handled virtually every non-game aspect, from PR to distribution to communication....has been one problem after another.
Yes, he stupidly took to both Twitter and Reddit.
His Reddit history: http://www.reddit.com/user/CaptainBinky
Twitter screengrab: http://i.imgur.com/guW7t.jpg

:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
When I look at other indie devs, for example Blue from the Terraria team, who basically got his Twitter and FB account harassed by jerks, who mocked his poetry and called him a *** and basically made his online presence a living hell.....who has managed PR for a game that sold close to $1million in the first few months....

That dude managed it all with quiet grace. Lemmy just kind of lashed out at everyone, and they even decided it was wise to post news articles to the website about the theft before all of their own team even knew it had happened.

I mean, I've always kind of assumed that with the magnitude of skill it takes to develop a fun, profitable game, some of the other necessary things come along with it....knowing when to keep your mouth shut.....knowing to back up your data to an external, private source on a daily basis....figuring out fundamental game features like map saving before you start basically deving features at random....putting someone in charge of PR who is articulate and has good judgment. In particular, knowing when to keep their mouths shut and when to open them has continued to be one of Indiestone's biggest problems.

Like I said. For how good the game itself is, the dev house and its ability to deal seems borderline dysfunctional.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The fact that they did not have version control or some sort of offsite backup is beyond mind boggling, it's into the realms of high level window licking, pants on the head retardation.

Especially when there are services like bitbucket that cost nothing.

The reaction on twitter was equally as retarded but I can at least understand it given the army of neckbeards who then dog piled on them with accusations of a set up and such.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The reaction on twitter was equally as retarded but I can at least understand it given the army of neckbeards who then dog piled on them with accusations of a set up and such.
I'm starting to realize that, as much as indie devs trade on their ability to talk to their fanbase, it's equally important for them to know when and how to tune them out. You hire a PR person to combat mis/disinformation and to keep you from fueling it.

One of my biggest markers for whether or not I even trust an indie game studio is how much they court the Twitter/Facebook market. I think it's a terrible habit for devs to pick up and they're basically teasing the tiger. People might fap at their updates while they're happy, but it becomes a mainline for hate that devs start feeling obligated to reply to, like they're Aston Kutcher or some ****.

Anyways, from the outset their fanbase has been a little....yeah. I stopped by their forums but it didn't seem like the kind of place where you were going to get a lot of rational discussion....from fans or devs.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A new video has been released, showcasing the new AI grouping system.
In my opinion it looks great. Still some quirks here and there (like they were unable to find one of the windows in the original safehouse so they left it open, while closing off all other windows with curtains etc.
They group together, the leader makes decisions and they have a bit of dialogue to illustrate what decision has been made.

They are also able to switch safehouses when it gets overrun, and will eventually have dialogue for this as well.

Near the end, there is a supply run where two NPC's stand outside blasting away at the horde of zombies while two other NPC's move inside the house to quickly raid it for supplies.

Project Zomboid NPC Demo - YouTube

Lemmy also posted on the forums to enlighten us with what the three icons on the bottom of the screen are.

That's so you, the player, can select your 'disposition' how you'll respond to people. More specific interaction with NPCs will be done via a radial menu which will hopefully, but not definitely, be in the update. Your character will generally respond to NPC barks automatically, and this specifies how you respond to them.

And this is how we tie in the negative mood moodles with real game effects. If your character is angry or unhappy, it may lock off the happy, or even the neutral ones, and your character will be forced to reply angrily to any NPC. You'll be in the situation where you'll be avoiding your teammates, worried about pissing off all your fellow survivors when you're in a ****ty mood, or getting on the wrong side of an aggressive shotgun toting NPC while wandering, which will give the player a reason to try and improve it and maintain it.

Last edited:
Reactions: REZ
Upvote 0
I read the OP description imagining it as a first person game with modern graphics for no reason and I was like :eek:

Then I saw the video and I was like :(

I'll still play this one, most likely. Can't see any reason not to at that price, and I've always wanted a zombie survival game that attempts to capture the full experience rather than just running and shooting. If they made something like this massively multiplayer in first person with realistic weapon handling I'd probably never play anything else.

And when it comes to piracy, I feel like it's wrong to steal from a developer but I'd be glad to cut the publisher out of their profit if it were possible. Their policies tend to ruin things anyways *cough* Activision. If you have broadband, your ISP should be your only middleman. A system where you could pay the dev directly and torrent their game would be great; you'd pay far less and they'd make the same profit from each copy, and probably sell more at that due to the lower price. They could have a tracker that gives better download speeds, beta access, or maybe a slight discount to big seeders for distributing the product.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not as far as I know.
They were working on it but I have no clue how far along in development it is.
I did read they wanted a system that saves every two seconds or so though, which constantly overwrites itself so you cant reload and undo mistakes you made.
Which is awesome, by the way. I'm waiting for that as well, but more so because I crash every 15 minutes or so, completely locking up my pc which then requires a reboot.
I really wish they would fix that issue, which is apparently due to ATI.

Upvote 0
New video is out, showcasing some interaction between NPC's and the player character.

Project Zomboid NPC Interaction Demo - YouTube

There should be a blog update coming soon too, for this video.

EDIT:
Oh and btw, I meant to post this earlier but zombies no longer despawn when out of sight. Their presence will be continuous, which means full-tile barricades should work better by blocking off streets etc.
They cant despawn and somehow respawn past the barricade (i havent seen that happen very much but still nice to know that now it isnt a concern). They can however still attack and destroy the barricade.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
New blog post with a tasty new video, showing off an updated lighting engine. It looks bloody awesome.
The game now also includes streetlamps and other lightsources, like lamps inside of homes which you can now turn on and off.
More importantly, having a light at night will keep you from getting depressed from sitting in the dark with the undead horde outside of your safehouse.
However, sheets or curtains are no longer enough to close off a window while a lightsource is burning: zombies will be able to see your silhouette on the material. So in order to properly seal off the window you will have to board up the windows.
They will also add (at some point) mooncycles and weather effects further affecting the overall light.

Another nice bit of information is that they apparently managed to reduce memory usage of the game to about a quarter of what it uses currently, which will most likely allow for bigger maps to be created.

Apparently these will be the big changes for the next update, after which save on quit and travelling between map cells will be the next focus, though the basics have been laid.
As they continue work on that one, there should be further updates adding female characters and other stuff to keep things fresh.

Blog post here:
[url]http://projectzomboid.com/blog/index.php/2012/01/2012-the-year-of-the-zombie/[/URL]

Project Zomboid Lighting Engine Demo - YouTube

Upvote 0
Apparently these will be the big changes for the next update, after which save on quit and travelling between map cells will be the next focus, though the basics have been laid.

Wewt. I've already seen a player gen'd map, so between those two things modders can basically start creating content and attaching it to the default map.

Lighting looks pretty nice too.

Upvote 0