• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Dualwield/Throw Machete

I've been giving this some thought, and I think the berserker should be able to dual wield either knives or machetes, with either hand mapped to a separate key. Hitting with one blade would allow you to follow up with another quick hit from the other blade, and hitting with both blades at the same time (using a specific animation no doubt) should do x2+ damage but take longer to recover from.

Upvote 0
I'm not too sure about throwing them, but the idea of dual wielding them would seperate the machettes from the other melee weapons. I really like the idea of dual wielding them.
Now this may seem like a stupid question, but I'm only very new to the forum. How seriously do TWI actually take these forum threads? Are we wasting time coming up with ideas or do they actually use these suggestions in the retail game? For example, are there any updates (weapons, characters or enemies) that have been added from this forum into retail version?

Sorry for the question, but I'm not sure what to expect...

Upvote 0
I really enjoy the idea of projectile melee weapons and I also rather like the dual weilding. The issue i see is not in using one weapon at a time, while dual-wielding, because much like dual pistols/HC's we can't just select left mouse left gun right mouse right gun, the issue lies more in doing the impossible and that is getting a very large majority to agree on its implementation. I'm not trying to put a damper on this but this will probably argue itself on for quite sometime without much of a "mass" determined direction.

On another note~ suggestions were requested on damage implementation.
I don't know if it would be possible but a 2~3x multiplier up close with a damage degradation as range increases. I'm not very good with metrics but I figure close range tossing to be about 13-15 meters which is roughly 40-50ft. Also I would like to note that it might be more realistic with a trajectory throw and not a straight throw, it would make the ability require abit more precision to employ and would show the team a well practiced berzerker over a overplayed berzerker with the same level.

Upvote 0
great-captions-15.jpg

Omg! That would be so epic! yes! yes! yesssssss!

Upvote 0
Yeah, this suggestion seriously has to be added :cool:

A balancing question: Has anyone taking in the fact that 2 Machetes is a lighter (2x1 is only 2), cheaper and higher DPS than a Katana? (Yes the Katana will still be better at hit-and-run though, due to dealing a powerful strike at once, rather than 2 weaker hits in quick succession)

Does the Katana need a buff if this Dw Machete actually happens? Or the Machete a nerf (please no -.-)? Or just make it so dual machetes isn't EXACTLY double dps, just a tad lower so it doesn't get stronger than the Katana (like, the offhand followup-strike is weaker)?

Upvote 0
Does the Katana need a buff if this Dw Machete actually happens? Or the Machete a nerf (please no -.-)? Or just make it so dual machetes isn't EXACTLY double dps, just a tad lower so it doesn't get stronger than the Katana (like, the offhand followup-strike is weaker)?

in reality dual wielding 2 weapons also doesn't make you twice as fast (about 1,5) because your body has to adjust to the movements. (which cost speed)

so yea, i agree.

i would say on ~equal~ level as the axe, but the axe having "spike" damage, and the machete's being the DPS weapon of choice.
so its based on personal preference, like the katana VS. chainsaw?

edit: 100th post! hurrah me :p
i can feel the senior membership flowing through my veins.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dolphin Buff Man
Upvote 0
Yeah, this suggestion seriously has to be added :cool:

A balancing question: Has anyone taking in the fact that 2 Machetes is a lighter (2x1 is only 2), cheaper and higher DPS than a Katana? (Yes the Katana will still be better at hit-and-run though, due to dealing a powerful strike at once, rather than 2 weaker hits in quick succession)

Well, yeah if this would be the case then machete would deal a tad more dps however it would not be a preferable running wepon due to it's range well if this Throwing wepon skill ever gets added then they can just be like your high dps wepons intill you get a katana then you can start chucking them at big baddies :D

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree with that Benjamin, sounds good to me. It would make the Machette more interesting to use, I personally don't like it myself. :rolleyes:

As for this Ninja perk, sounds coll to me, i'd play it for a gag, but I'm not sure in terms of balancing how this would be implemented... I know that you said it would be Overpowered and you wouldn't care due to it being a custom perk, whih I think is fair enough. Someone start programming, i would but I wouldn't know where to start... :eek:

Upvote 0
I posted a similar idea of throwing weapons, simple because the serk needs some range, but that is still 'melee' damage. I was trolled crazy, then I looked at your idea, and everyone loves it! At first I said 'WTF?!' then realized that words are cheap. It was the animation of throwing that everyone loves. Not just a thought posted by some dweeb, but something tangible!

In the end, I want throwing weapons to be real. I don't care how, or from whom, but your way has a better chance then me for sure. I lack the technical skills to animate my own, but maybe I can help. I thought long and hard, came up with a bunch of ideas, power lvs and whatnot. Most would need new weapon models added to the game from scratch, but in any case, if you need something more to pull from, feel free to use anything here: [url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49641[/URL] . At least this way my ideas might be used, or at least help get throwing really made.

Upvote 0
Dat machete.

Amatsukenzan, I think the main reason people didn't like your throwing ideas was because:
- They were next to suggestions for shields (and Zerker is already tanky as hell)
- You had about 6 of them >.>
- Your idea was to completely change the style of the Zerker into a ranged perk

This idea is just a very small addition to the Zerker to kill a few annoying pursuing specimens (mostly Crawlers) each wave. On the other hand your suggestions sounded like things that could down Scrakes without any trouble at all. This is a small suggestion to give the Machete a bit more use and function, rather than completely overturn a perk.

Upvote 0
I posted a similar idea of throwing weapons, simple because the serk needs some range, but that is still 'melee' damage. I was trolled crazy, then I looked at your idea, and everyone loves it! .

That's what happens when you make a copy of a thread that's been suggested before, and you weren't trolled, you trolled our forums by posting it :IS2:

Upvote 0
I LOVE the idea.
It would need some balancing though, I think the machete damage should be lowered slightly, about 10 points or so? I mean not a lot of people can swing a weapon offhanded as hard as they can with their main hand.
Hope TWI implements it.

EDIT: Since we are talking about changing a weapon that usually serves as an upgraded "back up" weapon shouldn't we replace it? Perhaps a trench knife? 38 dmg on a normal swing 100 on an alt fire?
Once we start talking about throwing our weapons we better have a good back up. The knife just doesn't cut it even on a lvl 6 Berserker.

Last edited:
Upvote 0