• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

jeeps and planes

Ghadafi said:
they certainly were on the western front, but im not going to say that it was the same on the eastern.

Guess the germans were big on motorcycles :)

Jeeps (and bikes, allthoughb they had MGs attached, were not frontline vehicles. They were for transports and convoy protection.

But then, you might also say that the Zis Truck which is in the mod is not really a frontline vehicle ;)

Upvote 0
Well it would be cool to see animated planes fly-over with amazing sound and shadow effects! :D

TTR-UT2k4 was planning to have this in-game.
But the alpha-version with the planes and such weren't released however. :(

It would make a huge difference in ambience, and it really scares you when it's quiet and all of a sudden a Spitfire flies by... :D
Imagine this with groups of He-111's, Ju-88's, Ju-87 (with it's quaky/buzz sound :D), TB-3's :eek:, Il-2's, etc... :D

Upvote 0
Manstein said:
only crazy/stupid pilots of bombers like the HE-111 would fly that low, unless they were going to crash

The Luftwaffe actually did use the He 111 in the close support role, due to their lack of ground attack aircraft during Barbarossa. Heck, they were even used as night fighters with some success over the Lyuban pocket. :D

Upvote 0
SgtH3nry3 said:
Well it would be cool to see animated planes fly-over with amazing sound and shadow effects! :D

TTR-UT2k4 was planning to have this in-game.
But the alpha-version with the planes and such weren't released however. :(

It would make a huge difference in ambience, and it really scares you when it's quiet and all of a sudden a Spitfire flies by... :D
Imagine this with groups of He-111's, Ju-88's, Ju-87 (with it's quaky/buzz sound :D), TB-3's :eek:, Il-2's, etc... :D

Some of the mod maps already have this, and yes, it adds much to the immersion factor.

Upvote 0
For the guys saying how jeeps, trucks and similar were not "front line vehicles," stop and think for a moment what you are assuming.

You are assuming that the front line is always static, and always known. In war the "rear" can easily become the front line in a matter of minutes, especially when enemy forces are quickly advancing.

Also what about situations in which there is no rear anyway? For example, the many breakout actions that took place on the Eastern front, when every available vehicle was utilized?

I mean for anyone that knows how war works, it sounds pretty stupid to say there are "front line" vehiclees and "rear" vehicles, get real.

Upvote 0
Who says they have to be used for assaults? What about just rapid relocation of forces? That's what transport was developed for, so men didn't have to move about the battlefield area solely on foot. If that was the logic, then the armies of WWII would have fought in Napoleonic fashion.

Besides, everyone always says how the realism of RO creates its own balance and shapes play, so wouldn't the realistic nature of the game rule out using jeeps/trucks for assaults? I.e., if anyone tried to actually make a vehicular assault with said transport, they would be annihalted due to lack of armor and defensive weaponry.

The truck was in teh mod, and no one ever used it like that, when ever I saw them try, they usually ate a tank shell or panzerfaust, or the driver got shot.

Upvote 0
I'm starting to wonder whether the truck will even be in Ostfront, since it is conspicuously missing from the vehicles page, and there's been a lot of criticism about "not on the frontline."

However, I'd happily go without trucks or jeeps if they replace it with something like tank-riding...which would have been a much more common means of riding into combat situations.

Upvote 0
Kyril =VIII= said:
Some of the mod maps already have this, and yes, it adds much to the immersion factor.
Cool, someone should create a LOD mesh for this model.

1 low-poly (When you look at them without any use of binoculars or scope)
1 med-high-poly (When you look through binoculars/scopes, etc)

However, when I get started about LOD, will the trees (and buildings) have mesh-LOD's aswell?
If so, I'd run this game even smoother! :D

Upvote 0
I'm not saying the HE111 wasn't used in close support, I'm just saying it would simply take too much resources to make them to the standard the devs seem to operate at, for something purely cosmetic, I'd much prefer they spend the time implementing things that would have some real impact in-game, like German armored cars, the Maxim, the Finns, etc etc etc

Upvote 0
Manstein said:
I'm not saying the HE111 wasn't used in close support, I'm just saying it would simply take too much resources to make them to the standard the devs seem to operate at, for something purely cosmetic, I'd much prefer they spend the time implementing things that would have some real impact in-game, like German armored cars, the Maxim, the Finns, etc etc etc

Of course. :D I just mentioned the close support thing for the benefit of those who didn't know about it beforehand.

Having the Finns would totally rock. :D

Upvote 0
Manstein said:
Yes, true.
But modelling low-poly models with low-res skins on it shouldn't take longer than approx. 2 hours...

Upvote 0
ThanhSa|Seirrah said:
Umm, Jeeps are American :rolleyes:

Next...
Murmansk Conwoys of WWII:
From 1941 to 1945, forty-one convoys sailed to Murmansk and Archangel carrying an estimated $18 billion in cargo from the United States, Great Britain and Canada. Among the millions of tons of supplies were an estimated 12,206 aircraft, 12,755 tanks, 51,503 jeeps, 1,181 locomotives, 11,155 flatcars, 135,638 rifles and machine guns, 473 million shells, 2.67 million tons of fuel and 15 million pairs of boots.

Great Arsenal of the free world, etc etc ad nauseum

Upvote 0