• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

First impression

Cole Wilson

Apr 25, 2015
Close to 800+ hours in KF1. All lvl 6 except assault. Which is boring and I don't play it much. Still got it to lvl 4 somehow though.

What I really like in kf1 is that you can cut heads with a knife. No matter of the perk. If you good at it - you can always clear some space and get away from many tight spots. Doesn't feel like the case in kf2. Melee feels totally different and not as much satisfying. Whole gameplay focused on gunning down mobs and feels exactly like I play assault whole time no matter of the gun or perk. Well, maybe support a bit better but still even double barreled doesn't feel right. Quite boring in that regard just shoot things and that's about it.

It's not like I'm disappointed in the game though. I know in a time it will be great with new content, weapons and so on. But right now my first impression... I want to get back to kf1. It feels much... beefier. Maybe I need to get used to new playstyles too so I will give it a go again. But so far that's how I feel. KF1 is better.

P.S.
I really like whole new music system with announcements though. That's what I missed in KF1. Great soundtracks and great way to know which one is playing. Sweet! Oh and new Patriarch is a meanie! :p

You can cut heads in KF2 with a knife as well. KF2 Melee system is different, I suggest you watch this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkQstOLz83I

Yeah. Different explains it. I been trying to cut some heads with scalpel and failed miserably :) Mobs are more twitchy, they move a lot, they subjected to physics and if one is pushed - others get momentum too. It's much harder now. You can't just get away with knifing mobs for a warmup waves anymore. Unless you are zerker I guess. Well, some might, I will not rule it out but I had real trouble with that to the point of just slicing few cysts and clots blindly. I tried to hit the head but... nope. Had better luck with shovel and katana though but it's not something I can consider a knife and it means added weight.

Also clots have awesome way of walking :D I always imagine them calling names on players, trashtalking in general and boasting. But no, they just growl and walk like some gangsters or pimps. Real funny :)

Also found that running with a knife still get you out of most of the troubles. Boss (I thought it was patriarch at first), Scrake or FP can't keep up if you maintain distance and you can run away almost indefinitely if there's no obstacles. Kinda boring but works. Need some workaround I guess because in KF1 you can't outrun enraged scrake, fp and patriarch and it makes game much more dangerous. Right now if you got enraged mob on you - you just run and wait till squad finishes it.

I take away my remark about hunting double barreled shottie. Pretty much oneshot for husk but it's just scrake shape in general that made me complain. You can't just stunkill him anymore with two barrels in the face. More so his head is now tiny and he always move. In KF1 scrake have visible head that is easy to hit. In KF2 scrake is upgraded with some bulge instead of the head :) Guess that's why he's got slower. Less aerodynamic shape :D

Upvote 0