• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Radius-based voice chat for infantry.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about coding voip or any other faction of game development.

I understand TW's reasoning behind not spending a lot of time on an 'out of the box' 3d voip system. I also have to wonder about bandwidth and server load. Is it doable or will we end up like the crosshairs podcast?

While, for example, an 8vs8 server running countdown may not be a big bandwidth or cpu hog , spending a great deal of time and effort for something to benefit just a segment of the community may be counter-productive at the state of the game's production.

As I would assume the game is going to be a massive bandwith and cpu hog when fully loaded, I wonder if it would be feasible to leave 'hooks' (if that is the proper term) or to stream the data necessary to provide 3d voip to 3rd party 3dvoip program (mumble or TS3)? In other words, leave the voip bandwidth and 3d processing to seperate software on a seperate machine.

Or more in line with your post, Zetsumei, perhaps have the game voip default to proximity based voip but having additional channels for communicating globally (everyone in the game) and another for only your entire team. That would be only 3 channels. Perhaps the default channel (the proximity channel) would default to the vehicle channel. That ought to be easy enough.....right? ;)

Floyd

Upvote 0
To have the voice chat the same as in RO1 I would indeed call a failure. Local voice chat improves both immersion and teamwork, the question is only exatly how to implement it. I for one hate that you cannot tell enemy and friendly chattar apart in RnL, and I hate that I can hear exactly what they talk about.

this problem in mag was fixed by reducing the volume of enemy voices in prox chat. however that's mag it isn't completely realistic but kinda if you think that normally other factions speak different languages.

Upvote 0
I'd settle for an optional feature, the local channel is likely the only voice channel I'd use since it's by far the most useful. I don't really care what other people are using, as long as I can convey information to nearby teamates without having to thumb through the numpad for the right pre-recorded voice commands when a grenade is about to blow my face off.

Upvote 0
I know there have been many threads about 3d voip. But after the cross-hairs podcast i thought to give a bit on this. In a game for general team communication indeed a global/team based talk system is best for discussing tactics and stuff and getting teamwork going.

However sometimes you want to say something to people in your close vicinity, like to shout, i'm reloading or grenade or follow me. You don't want your entire squad or team to hear you say that. It only matters to those nearby, and to those nearby they need to know the direction and distance it is coming from.

So its not so much a case for me that 3d voip should completely replace regular voip (although a server option would be nice), but could actually complement the system. To keep the main communication pipe more clean, especially as I know that in 8v8 clan matches it can already be difficult to keep the communicational pipes clean.

But that sometimes you just need to say something to those those close by, and they need to receive how close you are and from what direction you are talking.

Exactly, i can understand Ramm's reasoning that 3D Voip is easilly circumvented, because it is, but we where not hoping for only 3D Voip, we where hoping for 3D voip as an addition to the squad and team channels, so you can talk to just that one guy standing next to you, about things that the whole squad doesen't need to hear (like "Greande! Run!" or "You move and i'll cover" and so forth), in addition to talking to your whole squad or whole team.

Having that would be hugely benificial in creating small scale teamplay between random people who are within clouse proximity of eachother, and incourage people in Pubs to create fire teams, to cover eachotehr when leapfrogging between cover, warn about dangers and do small scale on the fly coordination.

Now that said, it certainly won't ruin the game for me if it's not included, i would look on it as a lost oppertunity to improve the teamplay (especially on Pubs, where i do my playing), and that's unfortunate, but it's no game breaker, i just won't do much talking, because usually when i want to say something, it's in situations where the whole squad or team doesen't need to hear it, and i choose just to shut up instead.

I'm a little more worried about what was said about vehical chat, because it sounds like there's only one vehical channel, and thus, anything you say can be heard by anyone in any vehical..

That's not good, if i'm team-tanking, then i need to be able to talk to the other person(s) in my tank, and the vast amount of information is going to be useless to anyone but thouse people sharing my tank, it's going to be stuff like "Stop!" "go left here" "there's a good hull-down position over by that big rock on the right" and so on, utterly useless voice spam to anyone outside the tank.

This was a major reason why team-tanking on pubs in Ost was allmost impossible, people either didn't want to use Voip because they would spam everyone with useless information, or if they did it anyway, and it became a garbled mess of gunners talking to their drivers and nobody could make heads and tails of all the information, must of it beeing worthless or people talking over eachother.

I hope this is adressed, and that, for instance, choosing the "Squad" channel when inside a tank means you only talk to people inside your tank.

This is what killed tanking in Ost for me, i didn't like solo-tanking, and team-tanking was neigh impossible on Pubs due to lack of communication.

Upvote 0
That's not good, if i'm team-tanking, then i need to be able to talk to the other person(s) in my tank, and the vast amount of information is going to be useless to anyone but thouse people sharing my tank, it's going to be stuff like "Stop!" "go left here" "there's a good hull-down position over by that big rock on the right" and so on, utterly useless voice spam to anyone outside the tank.

You are completly right Grobut. There should be a channel for one tank crew only.

BUT there should be a second channel where you could talk to all other tanks!!!
Information like "enemy tank left 200m!" is important for other friendly tanks, too!
And if you get killed at least the other tanks in your team know where it is...

Last edited:
Reactions: Felix Ostheim
Upvote 0
Well we can all stop asking for this now... Ramm made it very clear they have zero plans to implement this, logic being that people would just circumvent it and use TS, mumble or vent anyways.

But ya I agree with Grobut. I wanted it in ADDITION to the other modes of communication.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well we can all stop asking for this now... Ramm made it very clear they have zero plans to implement this, logic being that people would just circumvent it and use TS, mumble or vent anyways....
The thing is though that it is tactically better to use the in-game 3D local voice, and I think that people forget that when they say people will use vent/ts/mumble more if there is no global voice chat in-game.

People will use ts/vent/mumble no matter what.

3D local voice is NOT something that decreases the performance of the team, it is the opposite.

This discussion is hurt by the lack of understanding of the purpose and benefits of the system.

Upvote 0
You are completly right Grobut. There should be a channel for one tank crew only.

Information like "enemy tank left 200m!" is important for other friendly tanks, too!
And if you get killed at least the other tanks in your team know where it is...

That was exactly my point, there needs to be 2 vehical channels, one for talking to the crew inside the tank only, and one to talk to other tanks (global) to coordinate, just one or the other is not enough.

Upvote 0
logic being that people would just circumvent it and use TS, mumble or vent anyways.

Ironically the only game/mod that made me not to use 3rd party comm system was one that had a built-in 3D voip.

Like Snuffel said, 3D voice will only add to the teamwork, cos imo it lowers the threshold to say something to the fellow player.

And ppl will use mumble etc. anyways, no matter how great is the build-in voip. So that is not really an excuse but more of a cop-out. It is like not making night maps because ppl will turn their gamma high with 3rd party programs anyways.

Well hopefully some of the mod teams will try out 3D voip.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Might as well put this here...

The reason you see every single member on here that has been/is a big supporter/player of Resistance and Liberation rave about 3D Voip is because of how great it was.

In RnL, there were no set voice commands (ie: "Enemy Spotted"), so people would use their own voices to communicate. They'd have 3d Voip for everything local, and if you wanted to say something to more than just the people around you, you had the basic source engine team chat option so you could type whatever information needed to be sent to everyone.

But in my many hours playing RnL, I can only remember one time I ever needed to use this, and that was when I was leading the American side during an in-clan skirmish in rnl_omaha (Made by Hypno Toad), where I needed to tell a part of my troops to attack while I led another group to attack from another side of the objective.

3D Voip lets you know that what you are hearing is local, be it "Grenade!", "We're going to attack Objective A" to "Theres an enemy in that window!" and you aren't bombarded with the chatter going on all over the map. Or, in ROOST's case, nobody dares to speak more than once or twice.

In RnL, there was a wealth of local communication between players even on public matches, it's certainly one of the best aspects of the game.

But please, 3D Voip would be better than pre-defined commands for nearly every multiplayer game imaginable. I know that RO's command system is decently in-depth, but seriously, would you feel more immersed pressing V+4+1, or shouting "GRENADE!"?

Upvote 0
This, +1 .

Also this +1.

but seriously, would you feel more immersed pressing V+4+1, or shouting "GRENADE!"?

Thumbs up for 3D voip.

In addition would it not free up some CPU speed by not having to render multiple soundfiles played by each and every player, even outside of the distance you can hear them?

Sturm

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You always could use built-in mumble 3D voice feature or make designated for RO2 TS3 plugin (e.g. amazing ACRE mod).

Good luck getting that to work in pub matches. That's my main issue with it. Whenever I communicate with my team tankers, I have to use Vehicle Text Chat. It would be a LOT easier to use the Local channel, like I use to in the mod.

Upvote 0
You always could use built-in mumble 3D voice feature or make designated for RO2 TS3 plugin (e.g. amazing ACRE mod).

That would be nice but its somewhat useless unless everybody is connected to it. So for competive matches ts3 and mumble plugins would be great. But for public you need integrated mumble/ 3d voip.

I've always had various voip servers i could join. But during public play i've always primarily utilized the default voip system. Purely because then i know others in my team can hear me. Whatever is the default voip system that will be the primary system during public matches since everybody got it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0