• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Helicopter/Aircraft with UE3

Totalboy

Jul 25, 2006
Norway
Hi,

Can anyone answer a few questions?

Is it possible to have planes and helicopters to work (Fly realistic) properly with Unreal Engine 3? Can you do this in a modification to HOS? I see that In Country has announced a helicopter (OH-6) so expect Helicopter is possible?

I constantly model airplanes, cars and helicopters in my spare time in Maya, so I would like to learn UE and try to get this to work. Are there any Unreal games with airplanes?

Thanks in advance. :)

Otherwise, I wish In Country: Vietnam continued success, and I hope we'll see Huey w / music (BF style?) and the possibility of Tripwire-bombs. Scooters and a good mix of open rice fields, dense jungles and also some urban areas would have been perfect. Keep up the good work and beat the crap out of BC2: Vietnam! :)

Last edited:
But will it make sense to add planes or helicopters? I doubt it.

This. In RO, it would be pointless. In ArmA 2 Arrowhead, I just flew across the map in around 2 minutes in a helicopter. If you have not played it, the map size is bigger than all of the RO1 maps combined... by a lot.

An aircraft will fly across a map in RO2 in 20 or so seconds. Would not be realistic or fun at all.

No reason not to use the models as props (for air strikes?), or damaged versions for shot download aircraft props.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just remember back when I played Battlefield 2, it was no big map there either, but there was enough room for some intense dogfights. Would have been fun to have something similar, of course, just to test my models. :p

Bad Company 2 has much smaller map than Red Orchestra, so I think it can create some extra action :D

The question is how much work it is to get this to work? Is there any done "scripts" for helicopters and airplanes?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm sure its possible, but they won't add helicopters, those were made 2 or 3 years from then before put into any real use. Maybe a few fighters or bombers, but no helis.. Stuka raids sound like an interesting touch if they add'em though (mostly just because of the awesome wind siren used to put fear in enemies of Germany).:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This. In RO, it would be pointless. In ArmA 2 Arrowhead, I just flew across the map in around 2 minutes in a helicopter. If you have not played it, the map size is bigger than all of the RO1 maps combined... by a lot.

An aircraft will fly across a map in RO2 in 20 or so seconds. Would not be realistic or fun at all.

No reason not to use the models as props (for air strikes?), or damaged versions for shot download aircraft props.

Not for RO2, but I think In Country would benefit from a few transport and attack helicopters.

Map can be made quite large in UDK, 50 square kilometers give or take with about the same detail as arma if done correctly. That's more than enough to fly a helicopter in, albiet they may need to be slowed a tad from their truly realistic speeds for the purposes of gameplay..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just remember back when I played Battlefield 2, it was no big map there either, but there was enough room for some intense dogfights.

Seriously? If aircraft are done like BF2, the infantry might as well be done like BF2/CoD as well. :p

I've had dog fights in LOMAC, Strike Fighters/Wings Over and IL-2 1946 that have spanned larger distances than the biggest RO map.

The other issue is view distances. When you're 20,000 feet up, you can see very far. Would take a lot of effort to make that much terrain, even if only for props, for a game where most of the people are playing as infantry.

Not for RO2, but I think In Country would benefit from a few transport and attack helicopters.

Map can be made quite large in UDK, 50 square kilometers give or take with about the same detail as arma if done correctly. That's more than enough to fly a helicopter in, albiet they may need to be slowed a tad from their truly realistic speeds for the purposes of gameplay..

50 kilometers might be ok for a heli, but it just does not fit RO's gameplay (maps that large).

Unless the infantry battles actually take place over such distances.

If they're added in to, they should be added in properly and not BF style as well.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had dog fights in LOMAC, Strike Fighters/Wings Over and IL-2 1946 that have spanned larger distances than the biggest RO map.

I've played LOMAC, a cool game. But it's a simulator. I think it would be cool to have included some small, easily controlled planes and helicopters in In Country: Vietnam, since it was a big part of the Vietnam War. An airport on each side on some maps.

Must say that I can not imagine a Vietnam game without a single Huey. :) I think that to move the battlefield into the air can be positive for some players and will suddenly pull a bunch of players to the game. Pretty sure.

Upvote 0
I've played LOMAC, a cool game. But it's a simulator. I think it would be cool to have included some small, easily controlled planes and helicopters in In Country: Vietnam, since it was a big part of the Vietnam War. An airport on each side on some maps.

Must say that I can not imagine a Vietnam game without a single Huey. :) I think that to move the battlefield into the air can be positive for some players and will suddenly pull a bunch of players to the game. Pretty sure.

But then that would bring inconsistency to the game. Near sim like infantry and tanks, but with BF2/HAWX2 style flight. It just won't balance well.

I do think we should be able to call in air strikes or strafing runs. :)

Upvote 0