• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Firing Range Map

I've no idea why more games dont have this kind of thing as standard tbh. Especially with pop-up, moving targets etc, just one more thing to keep you investing time in the game especially in something like RO2 which has bullet drop and larger maps.

It might be the fact you can learn your moving targets and such during gaming. Compared to real life where you would have to deal with Amnesty International as soon you start with living human moving targets on your firing range.

Upvote 0
There was a map for RO1 that I liked using as training for my unit. It featured a firing range that would announce hits on targets. Is anyone working on a similar map for RO2? One with moving targets as well would be very helpful.

I'd somethign along those lines for RO1, pondered to do something like that again. With a simple Grenade / Anti Tank /Small Arms Range and a Open Area with Tanks 100 to 1000m again. Just perhaps this time without an Elevator and using a simple portal or somthing.
Though i guess moving Targets should be doable (sp?) i'm not sure if it will be possible to use a system which tells you where you hit the target. Which should be doable (sp?) for the Small Arms range though.

How good is the physics engine? Could we put frying pans on ropes ala G-Mod?

Well the UT3 Engine is capable of it, i guess TWI didn't cut anything so it will be possible the load on the Server (or most likely your own PC) is unknown to me. A PhysX Capable Card or good CPU will probably be needed depending how much of that stuff is going on at once.

P.S.
I suck at Map Design, graphic Wise but it will be functionally okay :)

P.P.S.
My Map was the Lubjankow Schiessbahn

Upvote 0
I once tried to make an electric target range for RO:Ost. It is possible to get the hit-location and the likes, the problem is getting the info to be displayed. I tried particle effects, GUI overlay... In the end, my skills with Unreal-Script were simply to limited for such a project.

It would be nice if someone with better skills could do something like that.

ATM we can

Upvote 0
@Witzig: Thanks for that map, I used it quite extensively.

Your welcome, though i'll be getting the game no earlier then end of this Week, since i ordered from the UK to circumvent the censoring. Its bad enough that i bought L4D2 over Steam. That one was horribly censored so i don't want to take chances with a game i care about.

SDk won't be out for a Week anyway so it's not a big deal.

Upvote 0
It might be the fact you can learn your moving targets and such during gaming. Compared to real life where you would have to deal with Amnesty International as soon you start with living human moving targets on your firing range.

come to oz, we have loads of man-sized fast-moving targets on the firing range all the time to practice on :cool:

also - would be nice if we could make a mutator (at least for the tanking maps) that shows up what damage we did to something when we hit it, would be VERY useful to know what my t-34 shots are not doing to the panzer IVs :D

Upvote 0
I'd somethign along those lines for RO1, pondered to do something like that again. With a simple Grenade / Anti Tank /Small Arms Range and a Open Area with Tanks 100 to 1000m again. Just perhaps this time without an Elevator and using a simple portal or somthing.
Though i guess moving Targets should be doable (sp?) i'm not sure if it will be possible to use a system which tells you where you hit the target. Which should be doable (sp?) for the Small Arms range though.

Well the UT3 Engine is capable of it, i guess TWI didn't cut anything so it will be possible the load on the Server (or most likely your own PC) is unknown to me. A PhysX Capable Card or good CPU will probably be needed depending how much of that stuff is going on at once.

P.S.
I suck at Map Design, graphic Wise but it will be functionally okay :)

P.P.S.
My Map was the Lubjankow Schiessbahn

Ahah, that was the name of the map! The Lubjankow Schiessbahn! The version my unit had of that map utilized a system that displayed hits on the targets in the middle of your screen with a text message that would come up, so if you hit the 8-ring, an 8 would show briefly in the middle of the screen. I don't know if you designed that or if someone put it in after.

Upvote 0
Ahah, that was the name of the map! The Lubjankow Schiessbahn! The version my unit had of that map utilized a system that displayed hits on the targets in the middle of your screen with a text message that would come up, so if you hit the 8-ring, an 8 would show briefly in the middle of the screen. I don't know if you designed that or if someone put it in after.

I made that too, was a variation of the original.

Upvote 0