• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is the Barrett M99 balanced?It is in the modding area

Is the Barrett M99 balanced?It is in the modding area

• Yes,nicely done.

Votes: 22 50.0%
  • No,1 shot FP is too powerful.

Votes: 22 50.0%

• Total voters
As the topic says the Barrett M99 AMR is a SS weapon ,which (of course with the LV6SS perk) takes out the FP with 1 headshot on 6 men HOE.
Unbalanced is it?But it weighs at least 13kg,single action,slow scoping/unscoping,and with a maximum ammo capacity of 25.(each round costs at least 10 pounds).It is a L.A.W for SS.
The price for the AMR is basically 4000,for a LV6SS the price is 1200

Last edited:
I actually suggested it myself a long time ago, and Mr Carver offered to make it :)

I think as a single-shot bolt-action rifle in 12.7x99mm NATO it's quite balanced. However it could be nerfed(?) to 14 weight for the power it has.

And i quite like it; it's well done in all respects.

It's balanced IMO.

Upvote 0
I actually suggested it myself a long time ago, and Mr Carver offered to make it :)

I think as a single-shot bolt-action rifle in 12.7x99mm NATO it's quite balanced. However it could be nerfed(?) to 14 weight for the power it has.

And i quite like it; it's well done in all respects.

It's balanced IMO.

This. Exactly this.

Killing FP with single shot it bad thing. There no teamwork needed to bring down FP that way.

Maybe 1 shot kill till suicidal, but it could just hurt a lot for HoE. Say 5 shots of AA12 would be enough to finish him.

So 1 shot fp is too powerful for HoE.

Can't a demo man easily solo a fleshpound with a pipebomb and a few m32 rounds? Heck, take out the pipebomb and he still can solo the fp just fine (I know several shots>one shot, bear with me).

How is a pile of pipebombs not op (well, no one yet has said they are), but a one shot sniper rifle is?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
One-shotting fp itself will not be OP. As most of the time you ONLY HAVE your 9mm. Even you able to have machete, will you run up to the crowd and machete those clots? I dont think so.

What makes the old xbow OP is you one shot fps, AND you have 9mm to one-shot anything up to bloat, AND you have hand cannon to kill sires and husks quickly.

For now, unless you are joining a random pub server, your team will have at least one player to be the big guys killer, may be a demo, may be a berserker, may be a shrpshooter who can use M14. In this case everyone's job is kill anything else. And the big guys killer is to face those scrakes or fleshpounds one-on-one.

On pub servers however, communication is bad most of the time. So when bigs spawns, everyone mindlessly shoot at them. It they die, the team lives, if they dont, wiped out, change map. Which have nothing to do with teamwork.

And just one reminder, if you need two head shot to kill a fp, there will be no such thing like after one shot it can be killed by just a few shots of shotgun. Becasue the fp will still have a **** ton of health.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Why didn't they just do this with the LAW so it could one shot anything like in the mod?

Bacause LAW is AoE weapon. Xbow or M99 is penetration weapon. Penetration weapon cannot hit anything shorter than your target unless you line risk to miss the head shot by croaching to line up 1-2 clots with the big guy.

And if LAW's base damage can kill fleshpounds, it can blow the entire group of scrakes and fleshpounds to 10% health and EVERYTHING under scrake to gib.

Upvote 0
man,I forgot to say something.

1 shot FP without teamwork?That's bull****.The SS carrying AMR does not have any self defence against large troop of enemies.The teamwork of AMR carrier is that there must be another man(maybe a commando?) to cover its arse.Without that the AMRer will get his arse kicked.

Actually that's a good point. If it's made a low-ammo low-rate weapon and heavy enough that you can't really carry much else to defend yourself with, then I'd be fine with it being a one-shot weapon.

Upvote 0
So? It was in the mod if I remember correctly.

If LAW have that power that would be too powerful. Even you one-shot scrakes and fleshpounds with xbow or M99, you kill one zed with one well placed head shot.

If you give LAW that much power, you get him down to 50% health even you miss. And in the case of two scrakes + 1 fp spawns (or mutiple sirens/husks, etc) that LAW will kill them all instanly (and bring no matter how many scrakes or fleshpound in the area to 50% health). While penertrate weapons need to kill them one at a time.

Upvote 0
Why didn't they just do this with the LAW so it could one shot anything like in the mod?
Because they just did not?
I don't know why they decided to make it completely useless for a while.

Actually that's a good point. If it's made a low-ammo low-rate weapon and heavy enough that you can't really carry much else to defend yourself with, then I'd be fine with it being a one-shot weapon.
We don't need to theorize about that though:
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=49670

Upvote 0
True, but if he's good with the 9mm, he probably won't have to worry so much. Husks? Scrake? Siren? Fleshpound? Dead. Clots, crawlers, stalkers and gorefasts can easily be killed with the 9mm, especially when backpedalling.

If you talk about solo, YES.

In mutiplayer are you seriously think 25 shots can help you kill all those husks + scrakes + siresn + fleshpounds? Seriously?

And each clot cost you 2 9mm shots. If you only decap them, A HELL LOT of clots/bloats/gorefasts will fool around and block any shots from hiting the head of zed behind them. Without reload bonus now, I dont think 9mm can save you much when a crap ton of small zeds is closing in.

Btw, Fleshpounds and scrakes can also be easily deal with when using any weapons, especially when kiting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't realy like the idea of 1-2 shot = dead FP.
I like the way KF is right now, with FP being more of a team effort to dispatch, like the way they should be.

True, due to the sharpie nerf, they are not as glorious as they were before, but they still do considerable amount of damage to FPs. With Some help to wipe whatever little hp FPs may have after what? 2-3 xbow shots, 5-7 LAR headshots? half a clip of the m14? FPs are dispatched effectively as a 'team'.

I don't want some sort of "security" against the big zeds. Before the "re-balancing" had taken place, All we needed was 1 sharpie with an xbow or an m14 user who is able to land consistent headshots, and that was it.
The emminent threat of FPs whenever they appear = gone,
there are even games that i've played that went like this :
Me : Its end of wave, where are the FPs?
Our sharpie : Soz bro, i ninja'd them :p
Me: .....

Now, its pretty much, "FFFFFPPPPPPPP" , -whole team looks around the corner, reloads, gets ready, pump it with lead-, FP = teamkill.

Well considering that, it is the LAW for sharpies and reading its stats;

I would like it to reduce movement speed just like the chainsaw does.
Decrease ammo amount to maybe 10-15, maybe perk level could increase the amount as level increases.
Increase reloading / Slower rate of fire.
Higher cost of Ammo.
All of which, enforces sharpies to make every shot count. Headshots are Mandatory with this gun, especially when your only other weapon that you can carry IS the 9mm.
Furthermore, in a 6 man or higher man servers, it would require sharpies to rely on team support to take care of trash and keep their line of sight free whenever the big zeds come around.

As for the resistance from FPs, i'd say 40%. Make it more of an effort to kill FPs, don't make them look like clots.

All in all, the gun is fine, great idea. Its just a personal thing, i don't really want a "anti-big zed security" for later waves. Just a proper functional team.

Upvote 0