• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Elevators

Murphy

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
liandri.darkbb.com
Hi,
I have two elevators in my map and I'm still using KFDoorMovers for them. This works, sort of, but it's a bit buggy (buttons cause the elevator to go in the wrong direction if you look at them from an odd angle or when crouched) and specimens don't understand how to use it.

How do the KFElevators work? The mapping guide doesn't mention them.

How can I set up an elevator that can be called to multiple (3) keypoints?

I could not get KFElevators to work either murphy and had to resort to using KFdoormovers in my http://www.filefront.com/14056237/kf-filthscross-v2.zip/map . I also have read that the KFElevators setup does not work and that the devs left them out.

Best solution I came up with was in KF-Filthscross although this is just a simple 2 way system that is unpathed.

Sorry but this is all i can offer in the way of help

Filthy.

Upvote 0
A two way system can just be done with a regular Mover with regular (Use)Triggers. It's not hard to path this either.

What I need is a mover that can be called to three keypoints. I don't have doors attached to it or anything. This is all done separately and works fine already. I just need a mover that can be called to keypoints. The KFElevator seems to be made for this.

I'll experiment with this a bit and report my findings later in here.

EDIT:Ok, this seems easier than I thought it would be.

You take the KFElevator and set up its keypoint like with any other mover.
Then you place KFElevatorTriggers, match their Events -> Event with the KFElevator's Events -> Tag so they can trigger it. Like with any other mover.
To make the triggers call the mover to a certain keypoint you give the keypoints certain names. This is done under KFElevator ElevatorFloorTags.
Then you match the KFElevatorTriggers' Events -> Tag with the ElevatorFloorTag of the KFElevator of the keypoint you want that Trigger to call the Elevator to.

The Trigger with the same Tag as the ElevatorCenterTriggerTag will move with the mover once the mover is moved. If you don't want a button that moves with the mover just leave this empty.

I haven't tried this with AI but my "dry test" worked. I'll implement this in my map now and will tell you if the AI can use this once I tested it.

EDIT2: The AI doesn't get it. Maybe it can be done somehow, but by default, they don't get it. If someone knows how to get the AI to use the elevator, please step up!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah, I discovered the elevators in Bioticslab the other day while browsing the official maps. If TWI couldn't get it work to a satisfactory degree, I'm not sure we'll have much more luck.

Nagomi-Sui (sp?), the retirement home map, has a small elevator for the trader. But that's not running on activated triggers or anything.

Upvote 0
Heres a sample map.
In case ur unsure what properties are set on the actors, simply copy > paste the actor to WordPad/Notepad and you should see a list whats set (although some are set by engine and you can skip those, such as paths list).
But basicly what you need is (for a 3 floors elevator):
1 X KFElevator
6 X KFElevatorDoor (or 3 if its single mover doors)
4 X KFElevatorTrigger
3 X LiftExit
1 X LiftCenter

And a good way to check if ur elevator is working with the AI, simply go to top floor and type in console command "RMode 1" (wireframe mode) and look how they behave down there.

Last edited:
Reactions: JustFilth
Upvote 0
Heres a sample map.
In case ur unsure what properties are set on the actors, simply copy > paste the actor to WordPad/Notepad and you should see a list whats set (although some are set by engine and you can skip those, such as paths list).
But basicly what you need is (for a 3 floors elevator):
1 X KFElevator
6 X KFElevatorDoor (or 3 if its single mover doors)
4 X KFElevatorTrigger
3 X LiftExit
1 X LiftCenter

And a good way to check if ur elevator is working with the AI, simply go to top floor and type in console command "RMode 1" (wireframe mode) and look how they behave down there.

Tried it and it didn't work.

Upvote 0
KFDoorMover consuming closed/opened events?

KFDoorMover consuming closed/opened events?

I have got them working, Filthy you are awesome! My problem was that the lift went down after players got off, meaning they could jump into the open shaft. But putting a door in front of the lift could stop players from entering the lift. ITS SO SIMPLE! =P

I want to do my elevator the same as this (door in front of the lift at both ends). It appears the elevators have been disabled in the latest version of Filthscross, so I can't refer to that. What I have is a lift shaff and the elevator inside the shaft is a KFDoorMover, and stops only at top and bottom. With a use trigger at top and bottom, it actually works quite well. Zombies don't use them but that's not really a biggie in my map.

But to wrap this up I really need doors at the top and bottom floor, one option is to make them KFDoorMovers and give them the same tag as the elevator. I'll do this if I get desperate, but what I really want is for the doors to open and close after the elevator has moved. The more I think about it the more I think it won't be that simple, but how can I make a ordinary Mover consume the opening and closing events triggered by a KFDoorMover?

If this is scripted events then its about time I got into that anyway, so if anyone knows a good tutorial or thread that would be a good start.

Upvote 0