• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Your top 5 tips for newbies

Nanostrike

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
People are saying that there's a steep learning curve and that newbies are having trouble getting started. I can see that, but I don't exactly have the time to write guides on stuff anymore. So I'm gonna do something a bit simpler: A list of my top 5 tips and suggestions for beginners! Any other veterans out there, feel free to toss your top 5 in here too.

Hopefully we can compile a pretty helpful list of stuff for a newbie to know.

#1: Learn the keybinds and make a few of your own!

The basic WASD stuff is pretty self-explainatory, but KF has a few more keys that everyone should take a look at because they're not in most other games!

\ Drops a weapon
B Drops $50 cash
Q Heals yourself
F Flashlight
SHIFT "Down the scope" aiming

You should also take some time and set a few voice command keybinds that you'll use often, including

Yes, No, Look Out! (Use for FP sightings and the like), Run! (It's use is obvious!), and Lets Hold Up Here! are all good ideas. And Medic!, Help!, and Get to the Trader are pretty essential. Having those easily available helps you not get your face eaten off while you fiddle around in the voicebind menu.

#2: Don't be a slave to the Levelling System, butPick Perks Intelligently!

Yeah, it's good to level up a perk, but don't ever feel that you HAVE to play one because you need to level it. Play the perk you like the most and it'll level in no time. It's much, much better to get good at one perk than be sub-par at a bunch.

On the flip side...

Don't always pick your highest levelled or favorite perk. You'll notice quite a few times that the team has too many of one type (A team with 4 Commandos) or seriously needs a certain type (No medics and people are dying because of it or all Firebugs/Commandos and people are dying to Scrakes). In these cases, it might be better to use a lower levelled perk (Your level 3 Medic instead of your Level 5 Commando, for example) and fill the hole than to use your highest level one.

At the same time, be aware of your level. At level 0-3, stick to the lower difficulties. If you join Suicidal or Hell on Earth games without a level 4 or higher perk, you're likely to die.
Just ask any seasoned player; an absolute newbie joining a Suicidal or Hell on Earth game as a Level 0 Support or Demoman (Two of the most expensive perks until you level them up and get discounts!) begging for money "because I need to level!" gets really, really old.

#3: The Trader isn't a coffee shop! Get in, buy your stuff and get out FAST!

This is also a very important one because it can wipe whole teams of newbies. The Trader spots are often in very, very dangerous areas. Areas you don't wanna be when the zombies start popping up. Often they're near multiple spawning zones, areas where enemies can drop down right on top of you, or dead-end hallways you can't escape from! So get in, buy your stuff, and GET TO A SAFE AREA ASAP! Try not to leave teammates behind at the trader area, but if they won't leave... go without 'em.

The first time newbies usually see this hard fact of life is on Manor in the later waves: someone will be goofing around in the trader inside the house, run out of time, and find himself trapped inside as zombies pour in from all sides (Not to mention other newbies often weld the doors if you take too long, trapping you in!). On a lot of maps like Foundry and HospitalHorrors, even a whole team can be wiped out if they're near the trader areas when times run out.

While you're playing on Normal/Beginner and have extra Trader Time, learn where the trader spots are, learn what you're gonna need to buy/how to buy quickly, and learn the fastest ways AWAY from that trader spot. It can and WILL save your life.

#4: Learn to prioritize targets! Learn what's the most dangerous and what can be safely ignored for a few seconds!

Learn which enemies are the most dangerous and shoot them FIRST. The most obvious situation of this is "Clots n Crawlers"; people LOVE to shoot clots because they're dopey looking, they're nice and tall, and there's always a bunch of 'em. But the little crawlers that people like to ignore are FAR more dangerous in most cases.

This is BAR NONE, the biggest reason that newbies die. They seem to love blasting either the closest (Clots) or the most intimidating (Scrakes) enemies first, thus smaller and faster ones flank and surround you (Crawlers, Stalkers, and Gorefasts). IMO, Gorefasts hitting from behind are probably THE #1 killer of newbies when they make that jump from Normal to Hard or above.

If something isn't really fast but is close, move away from it while you shoot deadlier, even if farther away, enemies. Ignoring those Gorefasts 10 feet away to shoot some Clots 3 feet away can be a big mistake!

Things to watch out for (And shoot!) because they can dish out big damage and/or close on you fast!:
Gorefasts
Crawlers
Husks
Sirens

Things to avoid (AKA "to kite") because although they can be dangerous, they're avoidable and are mostly distractions:
Clots
Bloats
Scrakes

#5: Aim for the head!

This one is one of the "Practice makes perfect" ones, but aiming for the head with most weapons yields a huge amount of extra damage. And if it actually removes the enemy's head, they not only can't use any of their special abilities, but they'll bleed to death in a few seconds!

This is good for a variety of reasons! It saves ammo, drops enemies faster, leaves more shots in your gun, and if you're a Sharpshooter, is your primary method of killing.

Just on Hard alone, it can take 4-5 9mm pistol shots to kill a Clot, but one 9mm headshot will either kill them outright or leave them decapitated and bleeding to death.

Not to mention that without a head:
-Gorefasts can't charge
-Husks can't shoot
-Bloats can't puke
-Scrakes, Sirens, and Crawlers immediately die. Not staggering around, just DEAD.

If you're not great at it, though, there are quite a few weapons that headshots aren't hugely important on, so if you're not great at headshotting, try Shotguns, Grenade Launchers, and the Flamethrower.

On the flip side, if you're great at it, Sharpshooter is an excellent class, as it makes your headshots even more devastating!

I'm sure I left plenty out, but these are the basic things that I end up telling almost any newbie at least once a game. Like I said, feel free to add in your top 5 tips. We might just make a respectable guide!

My top tips:

1. If you cant beat a big zed. Don't do it!
Ive seen many players pissing off FP's and then dying, if you cant kill a fp, just leave it and wait for your team to get ready.

2. Dont go off rambo. Only berserker rambos are acceptable, but going off rambo will not only make you die, but it will cause /facepalms within your team. If you wander off during a patriarch fight you're pretty much DEAD.

3. Dont spam flame/explosions. Seriously. If you spam with your nade launcher/flamethrower, you're making your sharpshooter's job harder, and that shooter might've saved your life if he could get a clear shot on that fp/scrake.

4.Share money. Pretty self-explanatiory. If you got any spare dosh, share it. Better weapons=better chances of survival.

5. Expensive is not always the best. Like M14 EBR is weaker than LAR in most situations, M32 grenade launcher is a MUCH better option than buying a LAW. Chainsaw is more reliable than katana.

6. HEAL. Heal your teammates when they need healling. Whos gonna watch your *** if you're not healling anyone?!

7. Voice commands. It's always nice to say thank you for a medic who just healed you, "look out" when you see a FP, "get to the trader" when there's only 4 zed's left.
Just please don't ever spam "oi need sum mony raught nao", people hate it.

8. Learn the KF glossary.
KF-killing floor
ZED - "zombie"
FP, fleshie - fleshpound
sc - scrake
Dosh - money
Doah - door

9. For fleshpound's sake, dont play on higher difficulties if you are a low level!! This is not L4d, your skill depends on your perk's levels. Yesterday we were playing a game on HoE difficulty on manor. Some dude joined, i asked what is his level. He said "im new". I explained him that this is the hardest difficulty and its intended for more experienced players. He replied "i played l4d i know how to handle stuff".
After he said that.
Noob has been kicked.
10. Don't play modern warfare 2.

11. Play sober.

Last edited:
Reactions: Heyman and aesdana
Upvote 0
Call out everything. "Hey guys, I hear/ see a Fleshpound. Get ready!"

If there is no medic and you have a free second, heal your teammates. If for no other reason, do it for the money.

Leave a few zeds alive (about five) so the wave ends when you're right outside of the trader. This is especially helpful on large (distance between trader) maps like Farm and Hospital Horrors. Step into the shop, buy your guns, armor, ammo and then haul ***.

Sharpshooters: Do not waste your crossbow bolts on Clots and Gorefasts. That ammo is expensive. You can get away with using your 9mm on the small stuff. On the same note, M14 shots on clots are a waste as well. You have a pistol. If you are going to use the M14, go for headshots. Don't shoot the chest and then complain about how the M14 sucks now.

Supports: Try not to shotgun blast single Clots & Crawlers. Use your shotgun penetration to your advantage. Kill 4-5 at the same time instead! You won't run out of shells as quickly.

Firebugs: Stop lighting the Scrakes on fire and making them charge! :mad: You're dealing damage, yes but a Sharpshooter or Berserker can get the job done before the Scrake charges. Setting it on fire can mess that up. Also, don't hold down mouse1. :]

Medics: Make sure everyone is at 100% HP. If no one needs to be healed, pull out your MP7 or LAR and help take out the trash. If you plan on body-blocking Fleshpounds, have your Sharpshooter buy you dual handcannons, so you can keep drawing aggro. Never be sitting there doing nothing!

Demolitions: Use your M32 for Fleshpounds. I enjoy laying down the L.A.W. from time to time as well but 5 (five) M32 rounds will insta-pop the Fleshpound if you aim for the chest.

Berserkers: You really can't mess up. If you are going to wander off and kite zeds, please do it in open areas and not narrow hallways.

Commandos: Just do your thing and you're fine. Take out the trash zeds, try not to piss off the Scrakes and FP's. Everyone tends to focus fire on a charging Fleshpound. Remember though, that there are Clots, Crawlers and Gorefasts following that Fleshpound. You don't want your team to kill the FP, then get bent over by a crowd of small zeds.

[All of these are from Suicidal games I've played today. A couple more than 5, but they're things I noticed either in general or for each perk.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Don't be a nuisance
1.5 Don't call them "zombies" or "infected". Proper defintion is Specimens , or abreviated , Zeds.
2. Don't ask , is this like l4d?
3. Don't pick random weapons for a perk.
4. Don't rambo. ( YET )
5. Buy armor
5.5 Check the wiki before playing for Specimen Health , Perks description , weapon damage table and more.
6. Don't ask a crapload of questions to the players ingame. READ THE FORUMS/WIKI
7. If you are a L4D whiny pro , and you start whining about getting killed , don't hope the others to be nice with you. ( DON'T WHINE)

Do I need to say more newbz?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are 3 tips of mine I find will make the rest come naturally. These 4 will eventually bring you all others, but learning these the hard way can sometimes take forever for players, so I suggest learning now.

1) Experiment from the difficulties, working upwards, until you find the difficulty right for you. This isn't about bragging rights, as KF has a steep learning curve, so feel free to play around a bit and think of the difficulties as "steps".

2) Teamplay. This is a massive one. Help where help is needed, and don't think of in terms of "me" or "you" rather as "the team" or "us". You rely on your team, and they rely on you, for healing, for killing, for affording weapons, for winning.

3) Play for fun and not levelling. Levels will come when they come, and you will see yourself naturally progress rather well if you just play on whatever difficulty you are suited to, and as you grow better, and therefore progress in difficulty, your perks will start to level faster. This is one tip that often takes players ages to figure out.

4)Experiment. If gameplay feels tiring, try out the other weapons and perks (try them out on normal until you get the feel of them). Try out community made content and alternative spots and strategies. This will keep gameplay fresh, and maximize the amount of fun you get for your money

You see, the rest will come with time, as you learn the ropes. But these 4 will assure that you do learn them all

Upvote 0
11. Play sober.

This cannot be overstated. Not only does playing stoned or drunk tend to make you suck, but generally it's annoying as hell for most people playing the game with you. Playing with your friends drunk might be fun, but playing public games drunk or stoned is just being a giant douche.

I prefer the reverse. In fact, I find myself performing better when I've been drinking!

Maybe if you're a bit tipsy. I'm talking speech-slurringly drunk or stupifyingly stoned.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips~
Yes, No, Look Out! (Use for FP sightings and the like), Run! (It's use is obvious!), and Lets Hold Up Here! are all good ideas. And Medic!, Help!, and Get to the Trader are pretty essential. Having those easily available helps you not get your face eaten off while you fiddle around in the voicebind menu.
I've never used Yes or No commands since I've always used my cursor to shake up-down/side-to-side to distinguish that; Or just type it.

Run I can understand, but I've found that most people generally know when the place is being swarmed, and it takes one person to run away for the whole team to be trailing behind his back too... except for that one odd-nut who always stays behind.

The ones I've always found essential to bind were "Thanks", "Sorry" and "Drop me some money"; There's always going to be a time where you need dosh, because you're 50 short on that weapon. Command for dosh, recieve, and command for Thanks.

Like M14 EBR is weaker than LAR in most situations
Alright, I've heard LAR too many times. What is it? It's not on the Wiki, in the Glossary, the forum wont let me search...

- Another tip, know what the gun names are. >_>

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Run I can understand, but I've found that most people generally know when the place is being swarmed, and it takes one person to run away for the whole team to be trailing behind his back too... except for that one odd-nut who always stays behind.
Way too many times, players evacuate a front when they get overwhelmed but can't be assed to tell the team that no-ones watching their back anymore, so I find out when a Gore Fast starts clubbing the back of my head. If you are running from your post, tell the team to run with you, don't assume they're fine with pain and death being their only alert.

LAR is Lever Action Rifle.

Reactions: RainbowCakez
Upvote 0
Thanks for the tips~

I've never used Yes or No commands since I've always used my cursor to shake up-down/side-to-side to distinguish that; Or just type it.

The ones I've always found essential to bind were "Thanks", "Sorry" and "Drop me some money"; There's always going to be a time where you need dosh, because you're 50 short on that weapon. Command for dosh, recieve, and command for Thanks.

Alright, I've heard LAR too many times. What is it? It's not on the Wiki, in the Glossary, the forum wont let me search...

- Another tip, know what the gun names are. >_>

Lar is

Lever
Action
Rifle

Upvote 0
Maybe if you're a bit tipsy. I'm talking speech-slurringly drunk or stupifyingly stoned.

Yeah, a drink or two relaxes you. That's a very important tip for Killing Floor - to relax. When you're not relaxed, you hesitate a lot more and you panic a lot more, ruining your accuracy and decision-making skills. If you can really relax when using, say, the 9mm pistol, you can kill 15 ZEDs compared to the panicky/excited guy who managed to drop only 2 ZEDs.

Upvote 0