• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

1017 SS is bad in Pubs servers

masteriamamind

Grizzled Veteran
Oct 12, 2010
Evil Lair
Warning rant. Summary of rant is Sharpshooters would benefit without unbalancing by having additional body shot damage in lieu of 140% HS for pistols only.

I was on a public server the other day and I made the mistake of choosing sharp shooter for wave 7. After the SS "balance" missing = death. Good. I am ok with that. Only makes you a better SS right? Unless your team is retarded.

When the crap starts hitting the fan, I ignore the trash and focus on the medium-large threats. I had a support , a commando , a medic, and a berserker at my back. In my sights I had incoming gorefasts , sirens and a scrake. This should have been easy picking for me. I pause for a fraction of a second to guarantee the shot. In this time my lovely team mates retreated from a horde of garbage and left me exposed. I realized I was dead when a gorefast hit me from behind. What did I do you ask? I did a 360 9mm to that bastard's dome! My team somehow managed to rage the scrake at that precise moment. Turning around and seeing a trouser wearing monster about to love my genitals with a chainsaw, I knew my life was forfeit. I managed to take the scrake and a few other with me. As soon as I dropped the team wiped. The response when they wiped and I explained I needed cover to get the head shot; WE SUCK. DEAL. :eek:

I would have survived that with any OTHER perk. You simply can't make any mistakes as a SS. If I had body shot with just my pistols I could have punched a hole and regrouped. I will never play SS for waves 7-10 on public servers again!

I would question your ability to survive that with anything other than a Berserker or Medic tbh, the damage you would have sustained would have given you a mean slowdown. Without healing I'd put you down as up **** creek :)

All the skill in the world can't save you if your team can't handle it when crap hits the fan... you know... unless you kite everything ;)
I wouldn't sweat it mate, Sharpshooter is in a good place right now because if you have good support, then you are invaluable.

I have the same thing on my server all the time. I play Medic (properly), Firebug or Sharpie and they are classes that need good teamwork to do well. Join up with a few of the lads from theese forums and the game becomes insane fun again :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
****ty teammates will get everyone killed no matter what. So in this situation, it's not that the sharpshooter perk is bad, it's not that person playing sharpshooter is bad (sounds like you made the best decisions you could), it's that your team was bad.

Your commando definitely should have been clearing out those gorefasts and the support should have been there, because it sounds like they were nice and lined up for him. I've seen similar things with all support teams. One or two people always abandon the tactic that worked for the past 7, 8 or 9 waves because they get "bored." :D

Upvote 0
I just came off a game as a Medic where a Scrake was bearing down on my team in the Manor caves. Our Support got himself merced early on and we had 1 Berserker standing on his own away form the team and killing everything, and in the tunel we had me, a commando and 2 Demo's.

As you can see our tunnel team is ill prepared for a Scrake :p

So being the Medic I pulled out my LAR and chipped the Scrake in the face to get his attention. My plan was to lure him away from the team and take him round to the Berserker to kill him with relative ease...

Sadly as I chip him and bolt past him to make it down to the far end of the tunnel (taking him away from my team), both Demomen spin round and both decide to spam him with a full clip of M32 rounds each... Obviously with him coming after me and not walking right at them they missed a good 50% of their shots.

Me as Medic now with a rampaging Scrake on my *** is bolting for the Berserker, havin to blitz past everything to try and keep a little bit ahead of the damage I'm sustaining. Needless to say I come up to a Siren try to take that second to knock her out before I become Scrake chow... sadly the LAR takes 2-3 shots instead of one and I'm turned into mince.

Would have liked to see a SHarpshooter about then ;)

Gotta love Pubbers, they manage to kill you in such imaginative ways :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Rainydaykid
Upvote 0
In "sh1t hits the fan" moments, the Sharpshooter is one of the worst perks to play, UNLESS you do NOT panic but instead just "positively stress up" your gaming with amazingly fast headshots. If you are able to keep your cool in those moments, the Sharpshooter is still simply amazing. The Sharpshooter is just (imo) a little bit TOO high in skill+coolheadedness-requirement (low ping and little lag is also extremely important for this perk)

With a good group though, which is not THAT hard to fin in PuGs imo (at least on Suicidal + HoE servers for some reason, at least for me playing on more Scandinavian/North-european servers (= Low ping, being Swedish myself :rolleyes:), the Sharpshooter is a BEAST with 9mm + HC + Xbow.

Playing on Hard (And lower too i guess? Never play below Hard :D) however, i notice that the skill of other players generally drop DRAMATICALLY, which is a bad thing for a Sharpshooter since you do need players to do their job, as you can't exactly handle everything yourself.

Upvote 0
..."Lolwhat?" would be the proper term here. ;)

So you died. Big deal.

So you died as a Sharpshooter. Big deal. No, not "BECAUSE I DIED AS X CLASS, AND X CLASS RECENTLY GOT AN UPDATE, X CLASS IS NOW UNDERPOWERED". That is incorrect.

You are meant to die. Extra bonuses do not gurantee your safety.

Sharpshooter is not a bad class because he can not solo things.

In fact, no one can solo everything.

The game is labeled as a "Co-Op Survival Horror".

It's not that the Sharpshooter is bad in Public servers.

It's that the Public servers are bad for Sharpshooter.

...Wait, what? :confused:

Upvote 0
I just came off a game as a Medic where a Scrake was bearing down on my team in the Manor caves. Our Support got himself merced early on and we had 1 Berserker standing on his own away form the team and killing everything, and in the tunel we had me, a commando and 2 Demo's.

As you can see our tunnel team is ill prepared for a Scrake :p

So being the Medic I pulled out my LAR and chipped the Scrake in the face to get his attention. My plan was to lure him away from the team and take him round to the Berserker to kill him with relative ease...

Sadly as I chip him and bolt past him to make it down to the far end of the tunnel (taking him away from my team), both Demomen spin round and both decide to spam him with a full clip of M32 rounds each... Obviously with him coming after me and not walking right at them they missed a good 50% of their shots.

Me as Medic now with a rampaging Scrake on my *** is bolting for the Berserker, havin to blitz past everything to try and keep a little bit ahead of the damage I'm sustaining. Needless to say I come up to a Siren try to take that second to knock her out before I become Scrake chow... sadly the LAR takes 2-3 shots instead of one and I'm turned into mince.

Would have liked to see a SHarpshooter about then ;)

Gotta love Pubbers, they manage to kill you in such imaginative ways :)

Damn right. One time I had very low (4 or lower) health, and someone fires an M79 into the crowed, flings a siren right into me which then bites me and I die.

Upvote 0
I found myself using more and more support in pub servers. Because I can take on everything TOGETHER up to scrake. And katana + huntty = DEAD SCRAKE. Fleshpound? Rage with huntty then EVERYONE will shoot it (really, that's a good way to kill fleshpounds in pub servers, RAGE IT), resulting in a dead fleshpound. If someone died? Even better, I can solo fleshpound too.

I hate to be hitting the head 99% of the time and that SINGLE SHOT I miss resulting in my death. I HATE THAT. It is IMPOSSIBLE to NEVER make ANY mistake. Peroid. Just impossible. Just because someone think SCAR one-shotting crawlers is bad >> SCAR should not one-shot crawlers >> M14 should not or SCAR is underpowered. PERSONALLY I think this is the worst change. Both SCAR and M14 base dmg nerf (PERSONALLY, so dont try to explain).

And even with good teams, I dont found sharpshooter really shines over other perks (save firebug). When I'm bored, I play sharpshooter, because when I am bored, I dont care if I die or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: SMIFF
Upvote 0
Sounds to me like you should have been watching your teammates situation so that you could retreat with them. Paying attention to your teammates is more important than paying attention to the specs on high difficulty pub games, getting left behind will get you killed faster than a pair of raging FPs.

Except now and then you'll end up on a team that's so full of cowards that they will just run the first time they see anything that won't die to one or two shots. Specifically, they'll run about fifteen feet behind whoever has the courage (or stupidity) to stay up front. Usually someone ill equipped like, say, a sharpshooter.

At that point they aren't retreating, they're just using you as a tactical meatshield, and if you fall back the team will inevitably be cornered and slaughtered anyway. Retreats are only good if your team has an adequate gauge of WHEN to retreat, and WHEN to hold a line. Sadly most pub games tend to favor 'whenever you can' and 'never' respectively :/

Upvote 0
I can empathize with masteriamamind's dilemma. All that someone has to do when they elect to retreat is say or type "fall back" or simply "moving" and then everyone has at least some clue of what is happening.

Yes, it is important to personally keep a visual update on the whereabouts of the rest of the team, but the need for the Sharpie to wail away at a relatively small portion of a zed's anatomy directly leads to tunnel vision, and T.V. in this game isn't a good thing. You can't be simultaneously twirling 360

Reactions: Jake74
Upvote 0
A lot of perks are bad in public games. To name a few, ANY OF THEM THAT CANNOT SOLO ALL SPECIMENS AT ANY GIVEN TIME.

Really, now.

My post was not about taking on all freaks solo. Pistols where a nice way to make room for yourself to get away or buy time. That ability is needed more than ever with the extremely small margin of error you have when playing a Sharpshooter. I posted to vent my frustrations and make a suggestion on how to amend the situation. Additional body shot damage on pistols will not make SS op. Spamming with pistols are useless on the larger freaks. You would still need to use your rifles (bow) to be efficient.

Upvote 0
Everytime people point out problems about "x perk" someone will have comment like "I still win with that". If I can win with knife + 9mm ONLY, does that mean nothing needs to be changed? Because knife and 9mm is the WEAKEST weapon in game.

And as long as I remember, in beta, most people agree sharpshooter perk need to increase headshot bonus and decrease body shot bonus. And xbow need "some nerf".

What end up happening? Bodyshot bonus was REMOVED. REMOVED. You miss the tiny little head, that bullet is worthless, it does next to NOTHING.
And xbow end up having nearly 10 kind of nerfs.

Well, but who cares now, everyone knows not much players still playing that game. It's like every 20 empty servers you can find one of them having one player in it.

Upvote 0
Ok, might as well stick my oar in as well.

OP, You were let down by the lack of communication in your team. Thats it. Not by a class that is nerfed. Not by some whimsicle twist of fate. Just plain old lack of communication is the biggest problem with pub games, and NOT just KF, any game. So suck it up and put it to experiance.

And it swings both ways. I've lost a game becuase the SS was usless, we started to clear the trash -after- informing him of the scrake/FP (can't remember now off the top of my head) does he drop the big'n? Nope; to busy shooting some trash with duel HCs.

Upvote 0
And as long as I remember, in beta, most people agree sharpshooter perk need to increase headshot bonus and decrease body shot bonus. And xbow need "some nerf".

What end up happening? Bodyshot bonus was REMOVED. REMOVED. You miss the tiny little head, that bullet is worthless, it does next to NOTHING.
And xbow end up having nearly 10 kind of nerfs.

Well, i was one of the beta-helpers (not playing, just helping with theory and numbers) and i was saying that the Xbow looks like its gonna get TOO nerfed (either boost its damage -OR- reduce price on it and the bolts+reduce its weight to 8) and removing the bodyshot bonus COMPLETELY was probably too harsh, halfing it would be a better start.

But i was in the minority there and TWI only listened to the hardcore super-players when nerfing the Sharpie :(

Upvote 0
Well, i was one of the beta-helpers (not playing, just helping with theory and numbers) and i was saying that the Xbow looks like its gonna get TOO nerfed (either boost its damage -OR- reduce price on it and the bolts+reduce its weight to 8) and removing the bodyshot bonus COMPLETELY was probably too harsh, halfing it would be a better start.

But i was in the minority there and TWI only listened to the hardcore super-players when nerfing the Sharpie :(

Just wait. Just wait till they complain about demo and support.

Upvote 0
Just wait. Just wait till they complain about demo and support.

just wait till they go balls to the walls realistic on all the classess and the game becomes nigh unplayable due to being too difficult for anyone but those that play it exclusively...just wait.

but seriously, i find that a lot of players tend to forget that people who are new to the game aren't as good and will struggle, and when you nerf something it may make it more of a challenge for you but it also makes it much harder for them... just sayain

Upvote 0