• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 1 Mode

hmm maybe those pining for RO1-like gameplay should you know... play RO1.

And maybe the people new to RO should play something else, and not ruin our fun? That arguement potentially can go both ways. To go play RO1 is not a solution, since RO2 is supposed to be the spiritual successor to RO1. In many ways it is, but for some of us the game is not hardcore enough. And from what I've seen in this thread, myself and those like me simply want a server side setting that recreates some of what made RO1 great.

I don't think it should be called "Realism" and it should be completely seperate, because the apsects that made RO1 so hard were indeed unrealistic. Yet even though they were unrealistic they made the gameplay much more difficult and satisfying. For example, getting a single long range rifle kill in RO was exciting, but in RO2 the Commander isn't doing a good job unless he has 75+ kills.

If it comes down to TW simply refusing to add a "Classic" or "Hadcore" server type, that is fine, it is their game afterall. But I would hope that if that is the case it wont be a pain in the *** to run a modified server.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've advocated a third gametype option for a while now, something that fuses the gameplay of ROOST with the greater benefits of RO2.

It would be of greater benefit to the entire community if folk respected what other peoples opinions may be.

The forums are full of malicious ytf u want that posts as is, hardly the way forward imo.

I agree with the OP fully and the manner in which he put his idea forward was well constructed and concise.

You dont have to agree with what many are looking for but at the very least respect the right to do so.

Reactions: Spec.
Upvote 0
tbf i've been playing RO1 for a year and loved it so its not like i'm some noob coming to RO2 having never appreciated RO1. i hear the weapon sway argument and counter that not all soldiers had epileptic siezures when aimed standing up. could there be more subtle weapon sway? yes but RO1 wasn't realistic at all. in RO! you could run across an open area and a lot folks would miss you whereas there were times when you could stick your head up out of a slit trench in the actual war and your head would disappear.

Upvote 0
I wasn't refering solely to you, I was just trying to show how silly an arguement it is to say, "Just go play RO1!"

I've made a point not to use the "realism" stance in regards to aspects of RO1 vs RO2, simply because a lot of things in RO1 were in fact unrealistic. But those same flaws made the game much more suspenseful and challenging. There are many subtle things that I think were done very well in RO1 in relation to making the game more intense, beyond just weapon sway. I don't want unrealistic sway, or epileptic sway for example. The way I see it is, that a sequel should build upon what it's predecessor has done. RO2 has done this, for the most part, while there are still aspects of RO1 that weren't broken and didn't need fixing/removing. At the very least I'd like server side options, as I believe not everyone need suffer because some of us want the game more hard-core.

Thats all I'm trying to communicate, and that is why I get upset when I read, "Then go play RO1"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Right. Try hitting a moving target that's 300 yards away when your starving, freezing and exhausted after making a full sprint across a battlefield while being fired at with rifles and bombs. You still think you could do that as easily as your character does in the game? Please. :rolleyes:

i think volucris is referring to lazer tag :p

but really volucris, if you can hit a man sized target at 300 yards, standing, unsupported, 50% of the time, i salute you.

Upvote 0
While i agree with the OP i would fear that increasing sway after running etc may increase the amount of people just camping and not moving about.
It happened a lot in RO1,maybe the devs see the new system as a means to cut down on the camping and encourage the riflemen to move about and participate in the objectives more.
Far too often in Ostfront players would just prone camped to get some kills while ignoring the task at hand.
Im not saying the less sway and less effect from low stamina is the correct amswer but maybe its why they changed things?

Upvote 0
There's nothing historical uncorrect about this. You mean prototypes like the scoped Mkb42?

Most of your ideas are great, but hopefully they'll be considered very soon.

Not the scoped MKb necessarily, but things like the MP-40/II which was not only rare but a failure, and the saddle drum that was used almost exclusively by the Luftwaffe for AA purposes.

Those of us on my side of the arguement need to also acknowledge that RO1 did have rare weapons in the game, G41 MP-41 PPs 43, all good examples. The difference is however, that these weapons were indeed very limited in the game, were only available on certain maps, and were no better than the other weapons available. As it is now, the weapons that were rare in reality don't have that rarity reflected in-game aside from having to unlock them, but then everyone has one in a week or so thus defeating the rare thing.

I'm not so extreme on the matter to demand unlocks are removed from the game, and I believe changing some like the saddle drum would only down to a cosmetic change (simply model/animate a belt) but I would like to play on servers were rare weapons actually stayed rare (without having to make the sacrifice of playing on unranked servers that dont allow any unlocks such as bayonets).

Last edited:
Reactions: Grobut
Upvote 0
You got that right OP, just a couple of minutes ago, I saw a video montage of Heroes of Stalingrad in which the player was using the Sniper class and sprinting around TE-Apartments quick scoping his opponents. Also, some players in Red Orchestra 2 are saying that the game (compared to Red Orchestra Ostfront) feels dumbed down.

Upvote 0