• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Just an Idea I had.

ChrisB17

Mar 29, 2009
So I was looking at all the mods for RO and I didn't see a pacific theater mod. Whats up with that? The Pacific theater was a major part in WW2 IMO and I think somewhere there should possibly be a mod or something. Yes?No? Maybe?

*edit* after looking on a few pages it seems this has been suggested before.

Also is it possible to do a vietnam war mod for it? Or is that pushing the limits of the engine itself?

Last edited:
Correct me if im wrong but i think vegatation is gonna be an issue here, the DH team had issues as far as i'm aware making the hedgerows look realistic and attractive and maintain performance. Also its worth mentioning that ro is probadly/hopefully reaching the end of its life cycle with ro2 on the way within a year probadly.
If your still set on making a pacific mod/veitnam mod i'd say use UE3 as this is the engine ro2 will use and you can get some work done, so you'll be in a position to get a decent beta out maybe a year after ro2 is released. Of course cryengine also has to be a runner allthough you'd more than likely be doing an awful lot from scratch where ro2 probadly will have alot of stuff already done.

Note: I'm still just a begginer relating to mod issues but the above is what i'd do.

Upvote 0
Ron;

Yeap... making good vegetation is hard to do.. doing it so your game runs well (unless you build your engine on it, ala Crysis) is some effort.

What I would recommend is you -START- looking into what it takes to do modding on RO.. play around with it as your boot-strap platform..
[Or, if you have UT2k7 (aka UT3) you can start reading up there]

The Workflow for UE3 is vastly different from what I've seen so far, but if you're starting from zero, UE2.5 will at least give you the basics.. stuff like 'What is an Animation Notification and how do they interface with code' and starting to learn how Unreal does Shaders, scripting, level design, 'what is a trigger', etc, etc. Alternatively you could learn new photoshop or 3d skills

I'd agree in that if you're looking to move to whatever 'the UE3 project from TWI will be', then I wouldn't look at making a full-blown mod.. however there are still PLENTY of mini-mod / mutator possibilities out there to be done; or if you already are knowledgeable about something that would be involved in modding, you can see about signing on to one of the existing mod teams and see if you can learn a few things while there.

I think I'm done rambling a bit for now :]

Upvote 0