• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Project Reality Mini-mod

DoktorTenma

Nov 22, 2005
Sweden
I've noticed that there are some BF2 players around this forum; some who like the game, and some who find it a bit to arcade'y.

Anyway, to get to the point. Project Reality might be the solution if you want (as the name implies) a bit more reality in your BF2 experience.

They've tweaked the guns, so that the damage and accuracy is more realistic. Also, the cross hair, enemy names and death messages are all removed. The stamina system has also been altered, so it's no longer possible to do all the insanse stunts of vanilla BF2.
The commander is also gone, so theres no magical UAV to spoil your squad's ambush.

There's a new system for capping the objectives, AAS (Attack And Secure), which limits each team to one cappable objective. This focuses the action between these two objectives, for example on Karkand, in which the USMC troops have to get the Suburbs, while MEC troops is fighting for the Square. This could be a bad idea in games with choke points, or a constantly defending team. But, in BF2, with it's open maps and both-sides-on-offense game play, it just enhances the game play (IMO).
The spawn time has been upped to 30-40 seconds, which makes you value your life (and your medics!) much more.
Also, they've tweaked some of the kits equipment (i.e, AT only carry two AT rockets and a pistol).

Some bad stuff, though.
The community is kinda small (why I'm posting here ;)), but you usually can find a server with people every night.

Still some unrealistic movement stuff, and some weapons have yet to be fully tweaked. Also, the sniper rifle has been unrealisitically nerfed, since it was overdominating every other class. They are working one some way to fix this problem, but in the meanwhile, it's kinda useless.

But, right now, it is still in the mini-mod phase (they plan to release a fullsize mod, where they'll add the British army, and a bunch of new weapons and vehicles), and still just a beta.

Well, if I've convinced any of you, go check out http://www.realitymod.com and get the download at http://www.realitymod.com/index.php?page=files. Their site hiccups from time to time recently, so it might not be working. Usually up fast again, though.
You also need a small hotfix patch, can be found here: http://totalbf2.filecloud.com/files/file.php?user_file_id=84673
You don't need Special Forces, but you do need the lates BF2 patch.

It's a great way to spend your time waiting for RO:O :)

(I haven't found any mentions of Project Reality around here (or on the old forums), so I thought I'd give it a lil mention. Sorry for the long post.)

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4437&postcount=16 *cough*

But eh, I like your post better. I just copy-pasted some standard thing floating around the forums and modified it here and there. So are you in the Public Relations team? If not, you should probably pm IronxMortlock, link to this thread and tell him Troels sent you(Don't really know if that would help, since my exiting from the publications team was a tad controverse.).

Upvote 0
Troels said:
http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showpost.php?p=4437&postcount=16 *cough*

But eh, I like your post better. I just copy-pasted some standard thing floating around the forums and modified it here and there. So are you in the Public Relations team? If not, you should probably pm IronxMortlock, link to this thread and tell him Troels sent you(Don't really know if that would help, since my exiting from the publications team was a tad controverse.).
Doh, I don't get it... I searched for "project", "reality", "project reality" and even "www.realitymod.com"... And I didn't find any threads. Well, your thread did pop up under "project" and "reality", but it was disguised under such a misleading topic that I missed it ;)

Anway, no, I'm not a part of their PR team, I just like the mod alot :)
[SIZE=-1][/SIZE]
Do you still play PRMM, Troels? Under what nick? (I'm DoktorTenma there as well).

Upvote 0
DoktorTenma said:
Doh, I don't get it... I searched for "project", "reality", "project reality" and even "www.realitymod.com"... And I didn't find any threads. Well, your thread did pop up under "project" and "reality", but it was disguised under such a misleading topic that I missed it ;)

Anway, no, I'm not a part of their PR team, I just like the mod alot :)

Do you still play PRMM, Troels? Under what nick? (I'm DoktorTenma there as well).
Haven't played it in ages. I have the same relationship to the mod as RO back in 2.0 where I'd just load it up, see if anyone was on, and close it down again if nobody was playing. But if you find me it's under the nick [RO]Troels.

Upvote 0
I just happened to notice the Project Reality release a few days ago; sorta like years ago when I noticed the RO 3.x mod. My son had an unused copy of BF2, so I installed it, updated to 1.41, downloaded the PR .8 mod and maps and have been having a blast ever since.

The learning curve for me has been extreme (RO * 3), I am still learning. It

Upvote 0
While I like the style of gameplay and the very thorough teamwork employed by almost the whole PR community, I greatly dislike the inaccuracy of the weapons, as well as the damage model (the bleeding is great, but shooting someone 5 times and not be incapacitated is irritating [they were most likely periphrial hits])

The weapons just do not shoot straight; there is a huge cone of fire with all the weapons, even the scoped assault rifles. It gets very frustrating having to empty at least one entire magazine into an enemy just to get a kill.

Again, the feel of the mod is great. Getting shot at sucks because you generally don't have a clue where its coming from for a while (especially moving down those Middle Eastern roads), and the spawn time just emphasizes it more. It's great. But not being able to accurately return fire, or even just ambush kills the immersion.

Also, whats up with the helicopter flight model? The only way to describe it is like a bee. Those things just haul *** everywhere and reverse directions on dimes. I see huey's come in at like 300mph and then go nose up and reverse out of there at the same speed. It's just weird. :eek:

Upvote 0
PR was THE realism shooter. 0.5 was amazing, I put like 10 hours into it as soon as it came out, which is a very long time for me. Everything felt great. It nailed the gameplay-realism mechanics.

0.6 released some new neat stuff, didnt really play it much though (had other things going on in life)

0.7 got silly, stepping the boundaries of fun gameplay v realism stuff. cones of fire on the weapons, big open boring maps and some small silly gameplay hindering tweaks (for realism!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

0.8 just killed it for me. I know theyre trying to be real and everything, but weapons that dont hit where you aim is unacceptable. Take solid gameplay mechanics, butcher it, replace it with 'realism' feautures and you got current PR. I'm just dissapointed because PR 0.5 was one of the best games I ever played, the newer versions just took out 95% of the fun in the name of virtual realism. Kinda sad

Upvote 0
0.8 just killed it for me. I know theyre trying to be real and everything, but weapons that dont hit where you aim is unacceptable. Take solid gameplay mechanics, butcher it, replace it with 'realism' feautures and you got current PR. I'm just dissapointed because PR 0.5 was one of the best games I ever played, the newer versions just took out 95% of the fun in the name of virtual realism. Kinda sad

0.8 is imho the best version of PR ever!
The weapon accuracy in the past version was ridiculous and i love the constraints they put in. Right now PR is the most realistic tactical shooter out there.

Upvote 0
I love PR. One of my favorite games.

The only problems I am faced with in the new version is

A.) The sprint time is so low and it takes for ever to gain back
B.) Some weapon animations are way way way to long. Take the SAW or any Auto Rifleman kit. If you switch to a grenade and go back to your main weapon in the heat of battle you are stuck hiding your *** while you watch the guy look through every nook and cranny.

Thats pretty much it.

Other than that it is the best realism shooter out there In my opinion of course.

Upvote 0
I love PR. One of my favorite games.

The only problems I am faced with in the new version is

A.) The sprint time is so low and it takes for ever to gain back
B.) Some weapon animations are way way way to long. Take the SAW or any Auto Rifleman kit. If you switch to a grenade and go back to your main weapon in the heat of battle you are stuck hiding your *** while you watch the guy look through every nook and cranny.

Thats pretty much it.

Other than that it is the best realism shooter out there In my opinion of course.

Sprint time is okay for me and the weapons animations are one of the "perks" of the game engine. According to the devs it

Upvote 0