• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Code Freedom in coding?

I've mainly worked in the ArmA 2 community for game mode design. In ArmA 2, we have lots of freedom with our code. As some of you might have seen, we've taken the game and made RPG gamemodes and large scale map-wide conflicts to something like the popular "GunGame" mode made popular by the old call of duty games and counter-strike.

How open ended will the coding be for something like gamemode design? Could I make something like GunGame?

PS: Sorry if it sounds like I'm a total noob, but I haven't had much exposure to UE3 coding.

You can change anything that's run in UnrealScript but you'll have no access to the native engine code. Generally speaking, you'll be able to do anything you want in a gameplay sense, but there will be some things that you'll be unable to touch. I can't be specific because even I don't know yet, but some game functions will be run as native code for performance reasons (it runs 10 times faster in native C++ than in UScript) and when you come across those, you'll be unable to even see the code, let alone modify it. One example is prone - I know for a fact that it's done natively, so you can't modify its behaviour at all.

I don't think you'll have much difficulty doing the things you want though.

Upvote 0
But we could use C# or some random coding language to create animations and actions in the SDK when it comes with the RO2 disc/download.
I'm not entirely sure what you're saying here, but if I understand correctly, then no you can't. You can create animations outside the SDK (in Maya/3DS Max) and use whatever tools or languages are available there I guess, but once you import them to the SDK you can only use the tools available and all coding in the SDK is either Unreal Script or Kismet (which relies on someone fluent in Unreal Script to have set up the appropriate functions in the first place).

Reactions: UncleDrax
Upvote 0
For FF mode, you could just remove the timer altogether, or tell the game to disregard the spawn timer and use one you set specifically. I don't really play FF, but the few times that I did I found the wave respawning and lengthy spawn timer to be quite un-fun (along with the short round times). You could fairly easily make a mutator that changed that.

Reactions: lewis
Upvote 0
i am srry if i seem to ask dumb questions but i am not sure as to how to set a spawn mutator i have one for the bots but not sure if i can do it for ff anyone know the wording i should use or where to put it like i know it cant be as easy as set_sv_spawntime=5.0 this want work i have tried it any help would really be helpful

i have tried setting ffrespawn delay to 0.1 and reinforcement to 0.1 the bots respawn without delay but our respawn is random anywhere from 0-30 sec help me please. not sure what to do

[ROGame.ROGameInfoFirefight]
TimeLimit=1200
FinalCountdownTime=60
WinStrengthPoints16=70
WinStrengthPoints32=60
WinStrengthPoints64=100
bUseReadySystem=false
bUseMatchWarmup=false
WarmupRoundDuration=0
KillMessageDelay=0.1
KillMessageMode=ROKMM_All
bMeleeOnly=false
bAllowDeadRoaming=True
bAllowViewpointSpectating=true
bAllowKillCamera=False
ReinforcementTimeScale=0.1
GameTypeDisplay=Firefight
GameTypeDescription=FirefightDescription
GameTips=FirefightTip1
GameTips=FirefightTip2
FFRespawnDelay=0.1
AdminStartDelay=0
RoundLimit=0
EndOfMapDelay=20.000000
MinPlayers=1
MinimumHonor=0
MaximumHonor=100
bIsStandbyCheckingEnabled=False
GoalScore=0
MaxLives=0
ListenPort=0
StandbyRxCheatTime=0.000000

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it possible to make a mutator which replaces the German commanders Crusher Cap with a normal helmet but he keeps his commander uniform?
Yes you could do it but I don't see the point personally. Of all the things that people are complaining about at the moment, I would have thought something like that would be at the bottom of the list of things to change with a mutator. But each to their own I guess.

Upvote 0
Yes you could do it but I don't see the point personally. Of all the things that people are complaining about at the moment, I would have thought something like that would be at the bottom of the list of things to change with a mutator. But each to their own I guess.

Well its not really top priority but I just thought it could be a quick easy mutator. The main reason is for realism things. Officers would never wear their Caps in combat. Why make themselves more of a target?

Upvote 0