• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
If there is going to be enough content and enough quality for a whole new game, 5 bucks would be a steal.

But its not a whole new game, and thats my point. Its still being built upon RO2, and it will still retain just about all of RO2's primary gameplay features AFAIK.

I shouldn't be paying over $5 for something that is in all actuality, a large content pack, regardless of how high qaulity that content is (and I outright wouldn't pay over 10). For large expansions for singleplayer games, I'd be tempted to fork out over 10 dollars, but RO2 is an MP game, and nobody should be paying over 10 dollars to play the same gaming experience with the same people in a different locale.

DLCs and Expansions are just a hairline away from pay to play, and Im not going to be impressed when I need to "optionally" buy a mod/expansion when one quarter to half of RO2's servers have vacated in favor of a for-purchase expansion that I shouldn't be paying much for, if paying at all.

Assuming the mod is excellent (as a pricetag would imply) then if the mod is cheap ($10- cheap), the RS team and TW would have no issues making a lot of money, as many more people would be tempted to buy it at such a low and modest price.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No offense to the RS guys, you're doing an incredible job, but (personally) the most I'd be willing to pay is 5 bucks.

Considering its content that may well be free, given the circumstances, 5 bucks seems like a fair price and I'd guess just about everybody would settle for that amount and it wouldn't "divide the community."

You serious? You haven't even touched anything about this mod, dlc or expansion (depending how it goes), and you're willing to tag 5 bucks on it.
You don't even know how hard they're working on it and what the whole mod entails.

Being in the pacific, it seems pretty obvious the conversion will be total, the only thing left is the main skeleton and game mechanics of RO:HOS; which might actually be modified.

Do you actually know how much work that is?

Upvote 0
You serious? You haven't even touched anything about this mod, dlc or expansion (depending how it goes), and you're willing to tag 5 bucks on it.
You don't even know how hard they're working on it and what the whole mod entails.

Being in the pacific, it seems pretty obvious the conversion will be total, the only thing left is the main skeleton and game mechanics of RO:HOS; which might actually be modified.

Do you actually know how much work that is?

Some folk are just plain stingy... ;)

Upvote 0
Some folk are just plain stingy... ;)

Not everybody has money to fork out all the time; especially not for something that *may* or *may not* be free. Ive worked on mods in the past and will in the future, and your work is either retail or free, pick one or the other; dont go "oh we'll decide when it's finished," that's not what amateur modding is about.

If you're running on a developer's budget (paying for VA's and third party contractors, or even office/studio space) then make it a retail game (or retail expansion..), and above all, say it's a retail game before it's finished. If you have a tiny overhead and are working in your spare time; then it's a third party mod; so say it's a mod.

I'd pay a reasonable amount of money for a retail game (see: RO2) but its asinine to be paying for a mod that would otherwise be free; if such is the case than how is it unfair to say I wouldn't pay a lot for it?

Its not that I wouldn't pay over 5 dollars for RS, it's that I wouldn't pay over 5 dollars for a mod. I dont care if the mod is RS or not, if every modding team wanted money for their work, then there wouldn't be "mods" now would there?

If they had just announced this as a retail game, and put a retail budget into making the game, then I'd glady pay for it, but Im not going to pay for something that was made with little to no overhead; something which was only decided last minute to be retail. Theres lots of people who work for free (including myself) why should anybody need to pay for a mod? It's just arbitrary capitalizing.

Upvote 0
I would love to see this addon released in a way Minecraft was released. Early stage of development you can donate a certain amount, and the farther to completion the game gets, the price will increase as well. This gives the mod dev's a stream of income to fund their activities with, while the early supporters get a discount as a thank you for the support.

This is a win-win situation IMHO.

Upvote 0
Not everybody has money to fork out all the time; especially not for something that *may* or *may not* be free. Ive worked on mods in the past and will in the future, and your work is either retail or free, pick one or the other; dont go "oh we'll decide when it's finished," that's not what amateur modding is about.

If you're running on a developer's budget (paying for VA's and third party contractors, or even office/studio space) then make it a retail game (or retail expansion..), and above all, say it's a retail game before it's finished. If you have a tiny overhead and are working in your spare time; then it's a third party mod; so say it's a mod.

I'd pay a reasonable amount of money for a retail game (see: RO2) but its asinine to be paying for a mod that would otherwise be free; if such is the case than how is it unfair to say I wouldn't pay a lot for it?

Its not that I wouldn't pay over 5 dollars for RS, it's that I wouldn't pay over 5 dollars for a mod. I dont care if the mod is RS or not, if every modding team wanted money for their work, then there wouldn't be "mods" now would there?

If they had just announced this as a retail game, and put a retail budget into making the game, then I'd glady pay for it, but Im not going to pay for something that was made with little to no overhead; something which was only decided last minute to be retail. Theres lots of people who work for free (including myself) why should anybody need to pay for a mod? It's just arbitrary capitalizing.

You are disregarding a middle option, which is that people working on the mod invest a huge amount of their time and, in certain cases, also their cash spent on production incidentals, in the hope that they can produce something which is worthy of a price tag.

In other words a mod team that is, in this project, actually making the leap from the kind of mod team you appear to be referring to in your first paragraph to a professional outfit with high production values. Tripwire have offered the Rising Storm team that opportunity... we would be fools not to take it.

There are lots of people who work for free but, to get a product out in time for there still to be a sizeable audience for their product, a team is needed who are willing to invest a lot more time, commitment and effort (and cash) than your average modder. People who are basically staking a great deal personally on the success of Rising Storm.

The model of production you appear to be used to would result in a mod coming out about 2-3 years (or more, as it's UE3 and therefore FAR more content-heavy) after the release of HoS and, by that time it would have to be a free mod as no-one would pay for it.

I also forgot to mention that several of the people working on this mod are actually professionals in their field already... we have several devs who are working for major studios (Epic and EA big enough for you?) and, for the voice actors, for example, we have actors who have worked on Triple A titles and worked in some pretty major TV and film productions.

Clearly these people have nothing to prove but, working with talent like this pretty much ensures the rest of the team, those looking to make their mark, step up to the same level.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jaesperson
Upvote 0
You are disregarding a middle option, which is that people working on the mod invest a huge amount of their time and, in certain cases, also their cash spent on production incidentals, in the hope that they can produce something which is worthy of a price tag.

In other words a mod team that is, in this project, actually making the leap from the kind of mod team you appear to be referring to in your first paragraph to a professional outfit with high production values. Tripwire have offered the Rising Storm team that opportunity... we would be fools not to take it.

There are lots of people who work for free but, to get a product out in time for there still to be a sizeable audience for their product, a team is needed who are willing to invest a lot more time, commitment and effort (and cash) than your average modder. People who are basically staking a great deal personally on the success of Rising Storm.

The model of production you appear to be used to would result in a mod coming out about 2-3 years (or more, as it's UE3 and therefore FAR more content-heavy) after the release of HoS and, by that time it would have to be a free mod as no-one would pay for it.

I also forgot to mention that several of the people working on this mod are actually professionals in their field already... we have several devs who are working for major studios (Epic and EA big enough for you?) and, for the voice actors, for example, we have actors who have worked on Triple A titles and worked in some pretty major TV and film productions.

Clearly these people have nothing to prove but, working with talent like this pretty much ensures the rest of the team, those looking to make their mark, step up to the same level.

I have no problem with people feeling they deserve something of their time and effort. It's just that there are plenty of game developers who *could* deserve money for their time and effort; but their content is free. I'll use Resistance and Liberation as an example.. much of that mod team was, and still is comprised of professionals, professionals who put free content into the mod; many of them have or are working in game development companies and put what time into the mod as they can. They pay for their webservers and they pay for their official gameservers.. both are costly expenditures. The difference is they've classified it as a mod and it will always be free.

If you feel that you deserve money for your time and effort (which, once again obviously is not a unrealistic request) Then refer to it as a retail expansion. My problem is that you guys appear to have been seesawing between "mod" and "retail expansion" for the past months, and now are just vaguely referring to it as "expansion" without making an explicit decision.

The issue is at the end of production the mod/expansion/retail expansion may only barely scrape by your standards as to what you consider "retail worthy," if that's the case, if things had just gone slightly different then we'd be getting a free mod. In essence, customers would be paying for a mod. That is not a good thing. If you have been putting money and professional time into the mod, AND have been receiving money and development aid from TWI, then why not just outright state it as a retail expansion if that's what it is?

Once again, I'm not trying to offend you here, Im just trying to point out that your definition of what exactly RS is has been quite vague and indecisive. Im trying to be constructive as scrutiny is something you'll be facing if RS does go retail. It'd be far better if you simply decided now that it was to be a retail expansion; get more funding from TWI and put more significant hours into making it. You've got a studio and you'e hiring professional VA's but as it is now its looks as if you've got some sort of Game Studio/Mod Team hybrid and that's really not a good thing if you intend to charge a significant amount of money for something you consider to be a modification.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Citing R&L as an example hardly argues against my point about free mods coming out many years after the main game.

Similarly, citing server fees as a sizeable proportion of the expenditure on a project such as RS shows that you are still thinking in standard mod terms.

The fact is that no-one has ever tried this level of co-operation between mexpansion (;)) and studio so there is some semantic difficulty with previously used terms. As far as I know, a precedent does not exist.

Every mod would like to think that it is going to be good enough to sell. If, however, they started saying, "We will sell" but turned out to be pony then they would have to release for free. And the studio backing them would look a bit daft.

Conversely, if they said, "We will be a free mod" then later decided to sell there would be outrage.

I suspect that this is a debate in which you feel you have to be right so I am not going to pursue it endlessly. As the producer of Rising Storm, I am not going to be drawn on whether we will charge for this or not. If you don't like that, that's too bad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yah $5 will pay for them to...
Make all gun sounds, voice acting, history research,hands on weapon experience, human modeling, gun modeling(flame thrower wont be easy), gun animation, texture for all guns and levels, and map making,beta testing,game ranking process. , and programming,and a lot of **** that I am sure I missed.

So after steam and the banks get there cut and after all the development costs the Dev's will be chilling on less then minimum wage.

Upvote 0
Citing R&L as an example hardly argues against my point about free mods coming out many years after the main game.

Similarly, citing server fees as a sizeable proportion of the expenditure on a project such as RS shows that you are still thinking in standard mod terms.

The fact is that no-one has ever tried this level of co-operation between mexpansion (;)) and studio so there is some semantic difficulty with previously used terms. As far as I know, a precedent does not exist.

Every mod would like to think that it is going to be good enough to sell. If, however, they started saying, "We will sell" but turned out to be pony then they would have to release for free. And the studio backing them would look a bit daft.

Conversely, if they said, "We will be a free mod" then later decided to sell there would be outrage.

I suspect that this is a debate in which you feel you have to be right so I am not going to pursue it endlessly. As the producer of Rising Storm, I am not going to be drawn on whether we will charge for this or not. If you don't like that, that's too bad.

i hope your mod turns out to be really good,that will bring in 8 good maps for starters,I have no problem shelling out $20 for a good mod with good maps at around 8 of them :)

Upvote 0