• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

StG44 in 1942?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously ... especially considering how rough around the edges their first few releases were. DH was sooo buggy at the beginning it was barely playable, and most of the maps were terrible. Anyone remember?

yes i do, it wasn't up to much, however i appreciate....

Have any of you cared to give 3.0 a spin?....

...it's undoubtably going to be much better now.

But that's got nothing to do with why i don't play DH.
I've always found there to be a surly, know-it-all, bad attitude surrounding the mod (except around the time they needed the steam release) and i'm afraid i simply don't want to support it in anyway.

I have good freinds that do play it, and i have shurek down as a decent fella, but there's so many other followers of the mod that i don't want to be gaming with; this new kid that's annoying everyone - whilst personifying that attitude perfectly - is far from the only one.

However, not being part of the 'band of brothers boxset' generation of WW2 fan, who finds other theatres far more interesting, i don't feel that my predudice costs me dearly.

anyway back on topic-

We now have proof that the MKb42 was in Stalingrad thanks to Bobdog.

so i'm guessing that twi's picture will magically materialise once bobdog steals plutonium from some arabs.

Reactions: Oldih
Upvote 0
Have any of you cared to give 3.0 a spin? Seriously, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. No PPsh's, no nuclear grenade spam, superbly realistic tanking, large sweeping combined arms maps...

Sorry. Started drooling there. Hate all you want, I think I'll go play some DH now.

Yes I have and I play it several times a week. I really do like it, but for the most part, its the same just a different theatre of war than RO. A few tweaks here and there; for example I like DH's suppression better, but that is an OPINION. But there are things that need to be worked out too, seriously some of the American voice acting is just terrible and barely a whisper and as others pointed out above, Carpathian Crosses added a number of features well before DH including killing individual crewman in tanks among other things.

As for forums? I visit here and DH's several times a day and don't think that all the hate and elitists (excuse me, "Elitist Pricks") are bunched up here on the RO forums. Its opinionated over there just as much as it is here at times and people whine about skewed weapons and tanks and favoritism... although I think for the most part the DH Dev team is trying to be accurate and doing a good job.

As far as the MKb 42? In my opinion it is unlikely that is was in Stalingrad, but there certainly was a good possibility that a few might have made it in via a transport plane landing at an airfield that was dropping supplies or picking up wounded or whatever before the last airfield was captured. Do I have proof one way or the other? NOT AT ALL.

So its fine with me if a few show up here and there as a possible Hero weapon. It isn't going to phase me one way or the other anymore than someone placing a salad fork in the wrong spot at a table setting :eek:

Debating if it was in Stalingrad or not is an interesting topic, arguing about it being in ROHOS like its the end of gaming as we know it is just ridiculous :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
yes i do, it wasn't up to much, however i appreciate....

...it's undoubtably going to be much better now.

But that's got nothing to do with why i don't play DH.
I've always found there to be a surly, know-it-all, bad attitude surrounding the mod (except around the time they needed the steam release) and i'm afraid i simply don't want to support it in anyway.

I have good freinds that do play it, and i have shurek down as a decent fella, but there's so many other followers of the mod that i don't want to be gaming with; this new kid that's annoying everyone - whilst personifying that attitude perfectly - is far from the only one.

However, not being part of the 'band of brothers boxset' generation of WW2 fan, who finds other theatres far more interesting, i don't feel that my predudice costs me dearly.

anyway back on topic-

so i'm guessing that twi's picture will magically materialise once bobdog steals plutonium from some arabs.
Yeah the game plays fine now compared to those early days, and I play it pretty regularly. But I agree on the attitude thing. It's not just the devs either -- many of the DH clans have this superior air about them, and are pretty heavy on the ban button, especially the 29th Infantry server.

And if you get banned from that server that basically means no DH for you! This happened to me a couple weeks ago, because they banned the wrong guy (some dude was mass tking in our spawn). They just ignored me when I brought this up on their forums.

It's just stuff like that which totally puts people off playing a game. But I digress ... wait, what does any of this have to do with the Mkb42?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes I have and I play it several times a week. I really do like it, but for the most part, its the same just a different theatre of war than RO. A few tweaks here and there; for example I like DH's suppression better, but that is an OPINION. But there are things that need to be worked out too, seriously some of the American voice acting is just terrible and barely a whisper and as others pointed out above, Carpathian Crosses added a number of features well before DH including killing individual crewman in tanks among other things.

As for forums? I visit here and DH's several times a day and don't think that all the hate and elitists (excuse me, "Elitist Pricks") are bunched up here on the RO forums. Its opinionated over there just as much as it is here at times and people whine about skewed weapons and tanks and favoritism... although I think for the most part the DH Dev team is trying to be accurate and doing a good job.

As far as the MKb 42? In my opinion it is unlikely that is was in Stalingrad, but there certainly was a good possibility that a few might have made it in via a transport plane landing at an airfield that was dropping supplies or picking up wounded or whatever before the last airfield was captured. Do I have proof one way or the other? NOT AT ALL.

So its fine with me if a few show up here and there as a possible Hero weapon. It isn't going to phase me one way or the other anymore than someone placing a salad fork in the wrong spot at a table setting :eek:

Debating if it was in Stalingrad or not is an interesting topic, arguing about it being in ROHOS like its the end of gaming as we know it is just ridiculous :rolleyes:
There's no room for common sense here, Mr Moe. Now gtfo. :IS2:;)

Upvote 0
Have any of you cared to give 3.0 a spin? Seriously, one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had. No PPsh's, no nuclear grenade spam, superbly realistic tanking, large sweeping combined arms maps...

Sorry. Started drooling there. Hate all you want, I think I'll go play some DH now.

Agreed. DH may have started off rough, but it is really fun now. All the little tweaks have really enhanced the overall experience. According to Steam I've played over 500 hours of it and it hasn't gotten old yet. People who quit early should give it a second try.

I'm not active on these forums very much so maybe I missed something, but I don't get the hostility toward the mod. DH gave the RO platform a new lease on life for me, and has been a great way to bide time until RO2 comes out.

Upvote 0
Darkest Hour is fantastic, without a doubt a huge improvement on RO.

In saying that, it's just a mod for RO. They just had the right mindset when creating it and quite simply, it's so much more fun to play.

In saying that, this thread is about the gun and I looked through a whole heap of posts and saw that no-one stopped to consider that some of the best maps are the custom maps and that custom maps might not be in the same period.

Remember, RO2 is an engine and I can't wait to see what is possible for this. We might not see IS2, STG 44's and King Tiger's in this game but we might see them in some custom versions of the game.

TW has always embraced mods because it great for them and the user.

Upvote 0
DH is awesome (it really brought team-based tank warfare to life, which was pretty flawed in RO due to utterly broken tank stats) and RO2 will be awesome.

I don't understand why, with a Q3 '11 release date, TWI have settled on two tanks at launch, but another two as well as two troop transports 'shortly after' - the timing doesn't add up unless the release date has been brought forward.

Either way, it's awesome TWI are focusing on quality over quantity and the AI tank crews idea is pretty neat assuming it works as intended.

Reactions: Hans Ludwig
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.