• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Deathmessage setting I would like to see

Proud_God

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 22, 2005
Belgium
I think the following deathmessage settings would be nice to play with:

- Personal deathmessages disabled
- when dead, you see all your deathmessages made during that life
- All other deathmessages enabled (allies + enemies)

Basically, I like to have no personal deathmessages, because not being able to confirm your kill is nice. However, I like deathmessages from allies and enemies, because it gives the server a less 'empty' feel. Combining these can create nice team dynamics where your teammate confirms your kill over the chat / voip.

Interesting idea.
Not having death message throws in a whole new aspect to the game. I like it despite it gives me that feeling of realistic insecurity lol

More on a tangent, but I think there should be to a way to tell when someone dies next to you, who it was.
I wish there was a way to have a 'buddy' system. May be form a radius of detection (1 meter or 2 meters) that tells you if your buddy's dead

Reactions: RJ_MacReady
Upvote 0
I agree. No personal death messages would introduce a level of uncertainty, especially when shooting at longer distances. But first TWI would have to repair the bug with a loud *thud* sound when a bullet shot from player's weapon hits the enemy.

The idea with a so called "buddy system" sounds nice too. But make it of at least 5-meters radius. Sometimes, because of RO2's poor sound system, you completely don't have a clue what is going on with your team mates that in close vicinity. I remember one game on Red October factory, where me and my squad were capping one of the objectives and were stacked behind a small kiosk. After a short while I turned back just to realise that there's only me, one dead squad member lying on the ground, and the rest of the squad ran some place else. I didn't hear any sound (like footsteps, body hitting the ground) that would inform me about buddy's death or squad leaving the area.

Upvote 0
It should display all deathmesages, for instance, in RO1, it was nice to know that guy that is watching another entrance to some building is dead and you should watch your back..
Yeah very convenient, isn't it? Oh, come on... :rolleyes:

Most of the World War 2 soldiers didn't even know whether they shot a single person during their combat history. I particularly remember one vet saying that most of the time they were ordered to shoot at enemy positions which they couldn't even see. Thus some of his brothers in arms still aren't sure whether they killed someone during the war or not.

Death messages originated from Doom times and have no place in a game that supposed to be "realistic". It's a player who should judge whether he incapacitated the enemy or the opponent is still alive and kicking. Not an unknown and all-knowing force that instantly feeds you information that "you splattered bigFoot51".

Reactions: RoastinGhost
Upvote 0