Tripwire Interactive Forums

Go Back   Tripwire Interactive Forums > Red Orchestra 2 / Rising Storm Forums > RO2/RS General > Ideas and Suggestions

Old 03-02-2014, 03:40 PM

Default More Realistic Turn While Sprinting

Hi, first of all sorry for any english mistake, I am no native speaker.

I think the way soldiers make so sharp turns while sprinting is really unrealistic. Most of players here like the realistic aspects of this game, or they would be playing something else.

The way it is, soldiers would just break their necks because of so much acceleration.

Could you devs please drasticaly decrease mouse sensibillity while sprinting? It shaould be a fix value, regardless of player sensibility settings (so no one would have any advantage over oders).

If players want to make a sharp turn, they would have to realease the sprinting key, turn, than press it again.

This would also prevent players zig-zag while you are shooting them from a distance (which is really anoying when firing with a single-bolted rifle).
Old 03-02-2014, 07:56 PM

I always thought the zigzagging could put a Heisman trophy winning running back to shame, but I do think it is a bit better in either Classic mode or if you try the Immersion Overhaul Mutator just because movement speed seems more appropriate.

You might want to try those out.

PS: You English is excellent.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:19 AM

No. Do not deprive me of 360° bayo banzai against the american cowards.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:58 AM

I think this was the main reason people thought movement speed was not right.
The lack of any momentum affects almost all games though,and is probably one of those things that is hard to code and animate.
I have to say zigzagging(or serpentine) is entirely possible at a fast run, its 90 degree turns and sprinting to a wall which is not.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:10 AM

Yea. The sprint movement doesn't seem right.

The animation for sprinting would correspond to someone sprinting very fast with a long run-time. But people are pressing the sprint buttom just for a couple of seconds, even in a small corridor in a house and this doesn't seem correct. (looking tat the bots!)

I don't know what other games do better with walk animations (e.g. CoD or BF) but they manage to solve this problem without any sensibillity-change with the mouse.

My personal suggestion would be making two phases of sprinting. The first phase is the acceleration (with the weapon in pov view e.g. sprinting with ppsh) and the second one is the full sprint (e.g. sprinting with kar98k)

Last edited by nilsmoody; 03-03-2014 at 06:12 AM.
Old 03-03-2014, 10:32 AM
Anti-Matter Games

I would be for limiting the max rate of turning similar to say how in the tanks if you turn too fast your body lags behind.

During the first public beta of RO2 when sprinting your mousespeed lowered, I would be against that as my mouse speed is already lower than most people. and a lot of people can make binds to increase it.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsumei View Post
I would be for limiting the max rate of turning similar to say how in the tanks if you turn too fast your body lags behind.
Thats a very good way to put it. You could turn the mouse and the soldier would just turn his upper body.

Making 2 sprinting phases as "nilsmoody" said would also be very nice, soldiers would not just instantaly get from standing still to sprint.

I don't think those ideas would take too long to implement, maybe making a new animation for turning only the upper body, or they could just adjust the mouse sensibility (much easier, lol). Don't know, this is up to the devs.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:

During the first public beta of RO2 when sprinting your mousespeed lowered, I would be against that as my mouse speed is already lower than most people. and a lot of people can make binds to increase it.
I haven't thought of this solution before. Because I've seen this problem too since every modern mouse does have dpi buttons at the mousewheel.
Old 03-03-2014, 02:23 PM

I know this isn't directly related, but the absurdity of being able to turn or stop and change direction on a dime while charging ahead is highlighted in the following video about the wildly-popular team-based FPS game Team Fortress 2.

Multiply A Weapon's Stats By 10 - YouTube

The part relevant to this discussion runs from 0:39 to 0:59.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:00 PM

I haven't a clue if it's possible in the engine, or how to go about it if it is, but if inertia could be increased, it would cut down on the crazy chipmunk behavior. As well as LMG'ers emulating SMG'ers.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:19 PM

and, of course, the same system should be implemented for flamethrowers.

This is a still from my current project, War According to Video Games-
Preview of "War According to Video Games" - YouTube
Old 03-06-2014, 02:29 AM

+1 for more realistic movement. I recall a very old RO mod build (pre-combined arms) that had more inertia. I liked that!

By Dibbler & Team

Support the IOM - Join unranked IOM servers - Join the IOM group
Signature:©Kleist productions
Old 03-06-2014, 09:47 AM
Anti-Matter Games

more inertia is not really necessarily realistic though.

As even though you cannot immediately stop or start in real life, you do get feedback from your body based on your leg position using proprioception.

If it takes long to turn and start or stop. It can make you feel like you are not controlling your own characters body, making you lose immersion. Thats why I think in most cases caps on max velocity can often be better, than introducing lag (inertia) or changing the input relation (mouse speed etc, that differ based on windows/game settings)

There is of course no real optimum, but its important not to make the game feel clunky as people lose connection with their character. Yet not make the stopping to quick and instant making things seem quirky/jerky.

Last edited by Zetsumei; 03-06-2014 at 10:40 AM.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:03 PM

Once, when playing a match, I got some kind of glitched, it just hapend exactly what I was talking about, thats why I post it here.

My mouse speed just got slower only when sprinting (pretty weird, I know). It was back to normal once I died. I really think that worked pretty good.

About user settings I know devs can do something about it, since you cannot, for example, turn the tank cannon any speed you want. Maybe they can script something similar to that.