• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Helmets - Bullet pings / Actual protection discussion

sturmfuhrer

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 4, 2010
Just wondering, in Ro2 will players be able to hear the ricoshay of bullets pinging against their helmets? Will these bullets also penetrate or get deflected from the helmet? How much protection will the helmet actually provide and thus will fieldcaps and officer caps offer no protection to bullets or shrapnel at all?

Thanks in advanced,

Sturm

Just wondering, in Ro2 will players be able to hear the ricoshay of bullets pinging against their helmets? Will these bullets also penetrate or get deflected from the helmet? How much protection will the helmet actually provide and thus will fieldcaps and officer caps offer no protection to bullets or shrapnel at all?

Thanks in advanced,

Sturm

Generally, helmets only provide protection against small caliber bullets fired from long distance. Their real advantage is shrapnel protection.

Upvote 0
Ok in this case will we hear the showering of shrapnel from grenades & artillery on helmets worm by players ? Regardless being shot in the head with a helmet on would still produce a distinct ping, dosent matter whether if it penetrated or not.

Sturm

Is that actually true? I've heard it in many movies but they aren't exactly reliable sources.

Upvote 0
I know a modern US military helmet will deflect a bullet if it isn't directly aimed at the helmet, its hard to explain, but it can deflect bullets according to the direction.

I don't know id this is true for WW2 helmets.

I would like to see helmets offer more protections against shrapnel, while covers wouldn't, maybe a cover would signify the rank instead, like NCO's and officers wearing their own respective covers.

Upvote 0
While the responses to sturmfuhrer's post are for the most part correct, sturmfuhrer does raise a valid point about environmental sound and Foley in RO. While RO Sound Design is generally competent, the actual Foley and environmental sounds are very sparse, and not always as subtle or immersive as they can be.

The Unreal Editor now allows for very easily and realistically decorating environments with dense, realistic, subtle sound; not just passive environmental emitters for say the burning and popping embers of fire or the sounds of the local fauna and wildlife, but the different interactive sounds literally everything in the world makes if it's touched, steped on, run on, bumped, hit, fallen one, shot, fill in the blank...

Rich and subtle environmental sound not only adds enormously to the depth and immersiveness of a game, it adds a lot of realistic subtle cues to navigation, direction, and situational awareness.

Compelling weapon Foley while it gets enormous scrutiny, is less then a fraction of a percent of the sounds you'd hear in the actual environment, or should hear in its game simile. The number of emitters in a game should exceed the texture volume by a factor of at least 1.5x to offer some of the convincing features good Sound Design can offer, and RO like many games has fallen short in this regard.

Will HOS raise the bar?

:confused:

Reactions: Olivier and LemoN
Upvote 0
It's not a question of whether or not the game can do it, it's a question of whether or not metal makes a sound when being blown open by a bullet.

TBH I'm sure it does make at least some kind of noise, but definitely not a dramatic "ping" like you would hear in Saving Private Ryan for instance.

Since the person being shot isn't going to hear it, and the person who fired likely won't either, it comes down to people around the victim hearing the noise.

Whether TWI wants to bother adding such a detail is up to them.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Just out of curiousity, If im wearing a helmet and a bullet hits the helmet and is deflected are you saying there will be no sound at all :? Seriously if the bullet does not penentrate then surely there will be some sort of metalic sound, thats what im trying to bring up, obviously if it went through you, A) Would be dead, thus not hearing the sound, or B) the impact would be so great that the bullet would shread the helmet like butter thus not making a very dense / loud pinging sound.

Sturm

Upvote 0
IMO helmets should be quite easily penetrated by everything but pistols and SMGs at longer range (longer especially for Ppshz which fires really fast round with good AP). However, I think some of you forget about 1 very important thing: angle of impact. Bullet hitting skull even at low angle will probably crack it open and remove a good chunk of bone. Helmet on the other hand should have some chance to deflect such round.
Just make helmets work like tank armour - penetration depends on the angle of impact.

P.S. Of course 0,45 hitting helmet like in this video would kill, incapacitate or at least knock soldier out for some time.

Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0
Eh, it's tempting to think of a steel helmet as an allmost bell shape that would resonate if struck, making a clearly audible "ping" sound.

But it's attached to some guys head via leather webbing, which would absorb any resonance, so any sound it would make when worn would be a dull and subdued sound, like striking a bell that has been stuffed with cloth, it could not make it's trademark sound, as it cannot resonate.

I don't happen to have a WWII era helmet, a ballistic dummy and a rifle lying around so, unfortunately, i can't test this, but logic seems to dictate it would make a dull "clunk" or "clank" sound when worn, and not a loud resonating "ping".

Upvote 0