• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Proper servers.

This has been said many times before, but there is nothing TWI can do if server admins run their servers beyond what their machines can handle. 64 player servers that are run on the hardware we've specified run fine. EVERY FPS that is released that allows people to run their own servers has this issue of server admins pushing their servers too far. After a few weeks people avoid those servers and they go away. Then the well adminned, well performing servers are the ones that remain.

Then why is it that not a single server can give give me below 100ms? Most of the time it always ends up at 150+ no matter what server we join. Also why did we have way better pings during the open beta? I doubt every server magically degraded at the start of release

Reactions: MadGelo and SunKing
Upvote 0
Holy **** some of you, 130 ping is god damn fine, did you guys forget what game you are playing? Ro1 had great net code and Ro2 has great net code, hell I could play with 300 ping on Ro1 and still top the scoreboard.

This isn't BFBC2 where if you have over 40 ping your game can't run, seriously all the Tripwire servers, TWB servers and other played clan servers and such all work perfectly fine, so stop with the exaggerations that you can't play the game at all. Because if there was literally an issue with the game and ping then no one would be able to play, yet THOUSANDS are playing right now.

Stop playing on servers that don't have the hardware, all of my friends that are in tons of different parts of the world have the game working fine and many are from the same area you guys are saying that you can't play the game from.

Even if it's a selective issue where one guy can run it fine yet the guy who lives right beside it can't, stop over exaggerating that everyone has this problem.

Upvote 0
From what I understand, the server side processing is more intensive for RO2 then most other online fps games. That or other fps games don't calculate ping the way RO2 does. The time it takes for server computers to process the live data of things happening in the game, bullet trajectories, bullet drop, hit detection and etc, are accounted into the ping which explains why it raises as more players join the game. The more players there are, the more there is to process.

So while your ping to wherever might have a 20 ms internet delay, that will never tell you what the server delay will be in RO2. I hope that helps explain some of the issues :)

Ya thats all multiplayer server 101 we already know. But it doesn't matter, go to an empty server and you get the same results.

Upvote 0
This has been said many times before, but there is nothing TWI can do if server admins run their servers beyond what their machines can handle. 64 player servers that are run on the hardware we've specified run fine. EVERY FPS that is released that allows people to run their own servers has this issue of server admins pushing their servers too far. After a few weeks people avoid those servers and they go away. Then the well adminned, well performing servers are the ones that remain.

This is true while its really cool people can run their own servers just as in ro1 its up to the clients to decide what they can handle.Some 64 player servers have terrible performance while others do good.Depending on where you live try a few servers until you find one that does well.

I love the 64 man public servers for huge battles but I get way better performance off smaller servers 50-32.And have seen up to 90 fps on some clan servers during 12 on 12s on my mid range rig I was like :cool:

Upvote 0
I'm the beta all the 64 player servers I joined where fine with very low pings of around 25-40.

Yes, of course. In the beta there was no lag at all, in fact everyone's ping was 0 iirc. Amazing times. Bring back the tachyons, Tripwire.

But seriously, this is why some games are no longer releasing their server code and only letting a few handpicked providers host for their games. Avg Joe joins these subpar servers with swamped cpu's and think it's entirely the game's fault everything's running like crap. The only mostly lag free 64 player servers I've played on in NA were TWB's servers or TWI's servers.

Reactions: Sixty9Eyes
Upvote 0
I think I actually might cry........what is it you lot don't understand how can you be convincing yourselves to play with pings of 180?
when In gods name has a game ever been playable with a ping anywhere close to that! And not to mention 64 player servers ran fine like crystal clear fine.
TW please please I am begging you to see that one of your updates caused the ping malfunction. I can't play till this is fixed I played on a server of 20 and the ping was still 90 WTF? worst ping I have EVER witnessed In my intire 25 years of living.

Upvote 0

Do the official TWI servers run on the hardware you've specified then? In my experience, when full (~60 players) they perform as poorly as any other. This isn't just a hardware issue.

Upvote 0
Ya thats all multiplayer server 101 we already know. But it doesn't matter, go to an empty server and you get the same results.

I do not have this issue in empty servers. My best in-game ping so far has been 28, and that was with 20 other players. Not until I'm playing on a non-TWI server with at least 50 players do I get anything above 100 ping. On TWI servers, my ping will go as high as 100 with a full 64 players.

As for the OP, I cannot suggest any servers as I am not from australia. I'm sorry this thread hasn't gotten you any useful suggestions. :(

Upvote 0
All I wanted is some server suggestions and all I got was offtopic whining along with game developers responding to the moaning.

What is wrong with you people?

Fixed your post to be less annoying. To be honest, this is something you should be concerned about as well. If the ping issues are fixed then you don't need to find specific locations to play with low pings, as every server in your vicinity would have low ping.

Upvote 0
Excuse me but how can you explain that your servers (number 4 UK precisely) show 80 ping in the browser and 136 in-game? Is it normal or what?
edit: screenshot
serverlag.png

PS: hope you'll be so kind to answer.

Honestly, I'm looking forward for the same answer.

Upvote 0
The only time I've experienced any lag at all was while playing the tanks on Gumrak on the beta. I've had zero issues playing inf on a wide range of servers since the full release.:confused:

My server is from a TWI-approved provider and I'm running 50 players max on 64 slots, to give it some overhead. Give it a go (UK based).

Upvote 0
Then why is it that not a single server can give give me below 100ms? Most of the time it always ends up at 150+ no matter what server we join. Also why did we have way better pings during the open beta? I doubt every server magically degraded at the start of release

I play ( UK Based ) on BW-UK, TheOldGits, TWB and one or two other servers and my ping is usually sub 80ms, because they are quality servers running within their comfort zone.

Find a capable server and enjoy lower pings :)

Yes this game has plenty of issues, but server owners running way out of spec are certainly not helping the situation any.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jesus.

I just glanced at a few servers. The pings are fine.

So,

1. Server side issues. If you dont have a dedicated server, then stop pretending you have one and reduce player count. Additionally be aware that peak time play will still see your server pulled down into the muck by other games sharing your resources.

2. Client side issues. Possible that high ping clients are dragging up pings on the server they are playing on. So generally dont play on a high ping server because you will likely make things worse for others.

3. TWI is going to continue optimization.

So basically 2 could be addressed by giving a max ping before autoboot code. Something sophisticated enough to measure average, not peak. And be provided as a server side option. So perhaps ask for that?

Upvote 0