• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

When's the next weekend sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how you could gripe about a $15-20 price tag, that's the cost of a couple movie tickets, or a dvd that would be done and over with in mere hours, where this kind of game could net you hundreds of times more value than that. a game that is still being worked on, so you're paying not just for some quality mp but any future custom/official content that comes with it.

Many freebies complained about trying to find a decent server. On free weekends everyone will just lock their servers again so there will be no where for freebies to play so they won't get to see the game in all it's true glory. They'll be resigned to a bunch of shyte servers with old out of date crap maps and they'll hate the game for that - before they've even see it. It'll be even worse if they update at the same time. Bugs, servers not updated or servers without new maps put in the map cycle all contribute to making it a right shambles.

this was exactly the case that I hope tw learnt from for the next go, and the community as well. FF servers I could understand, but most ops with not-so-manly configs could have stuck with reserved slots instead of locking them down outright, kind of selfish imo to refuse to deal with noobs just for one weekend. that's the way I went about it, which rocketed my server rank from top 500 to top 50 since then. as well as they did, I feel like it was a missed opportunity since so many newcomers had a bad experience simply caused by stability problems and lack of support from the community.

if I knew then what I know now, I could have run a whole bunch of instances just with the extra bandwidth/processing I have on me. hell I could even run one off a spare netbook I have lying around, those atoms have more than enough processing power to serve up a lag-free game of 6-man kf.

I gifted one copy and bought another copy to make separate steam account so I can use it as own personal dedicated server for private games. TWI certainly deserves the money :p

/facepalm... hate to break it to you but the server code is free, that extra copy would have much better use going to an actual player. all you have to do is install the dedicated server app as many times as you want to run x amount of servers, or you could leave your personal copy running as a server if need be.

Upvote 0
/facepalm...

I am fully aware of that but honestly, after agonizing for RO:HoS for quite some time, after enjoying ****load of hours with RO:Ost (and mod before) and now after KF without the developers themselves doing any major dickmoves that would just make people angry, I decided to do it like that. Stupid dumb **** move? Probably, but then again small fee to buy new KF doesn't really break my bank ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's...only $5 more, dude.

I just spent another $100 on perscription diet catfood, dude.

So yeah I'm totally cheaping out everywhere else.

But there is a reason for discount weekends besides my sick cat. The community is the most essential aspect to Tripwire's games, It's been a really sad year for RO in North America because of the fragmented community. Bigger numbers directly result in better games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

But there is a reason for discount weekends besides my sick cat. The community is the most essential aspect to Tripwire's games, It's been a really sad year for RO in North America because of the fragmented community. Bigger numbers directly result in better games.

Your cat isn't really relevant. Yeah you spend lots of money on your cat, great, you're a good pet owner. Gratz. However $20 for a game really, really isn't that much. At all.

Weekend sales are cool but TWI just had one like a month ago. There are balance issues I'm sure they're aware of that need to be addressed before they open up a free/cheap weekend.

Upvote 0
but most ops with not-so-manly configs could have stuck with reserved slots instead of locking them down outright, kind of selfish imo to refuse to deal with noobs just for one weekend. that's the way I went about it, which my erver rank from top 500 to top 50 since then. as well as they did, I feel like it was a missed opportunity since so many newcomers had a bad experience simply caused by stability problems and lack of support from the community.

Reserved slots works a treat. All servers should run it by default. The real problem is there are only 6 slots. A couple of zeros bouncing around can ruin a map even if they are trying. Other games get away with free weekends because they are 15+ vs 15+ so the impact is diluted. But just 2 zeros and you have a significant drop in damage not to mention the usual confusion we are all guilty of whenever we join a new map. And then there's the joining hard/ suicidal servers nonsense. Personally I'd do a crushing discount @ 75% off - I bought Frontlines yesterday because it was going for

Upvote 0
Your cat isn't really relevant. Yeah you spend lots of money on your cat, great, you're a good pet owner. Gratz. However $20 for a game really, really isn't that much. At all.

Weekend sales are cool but TWI just had one like a month ago. There are balance issues I'm sure they're aware of that need to be addressed before they open up a free/cheap weekend.
How is his cat not relevant?

Cat = Money

Money = Luxuries.

The cat is is relevant because it costs him money.:rolleyes:

I don't blame him, no one here knows this guy's budget better than himself. If I had to cut costs to pay bills, $20 for a videogame would be part of this. Some of you people need to stop acting like the world is filled with sunshine and llollipops and face reality.

Upvote 0
How is his cat not relevant?

Cat = Money

Money = Luxuries.

The cat is is relevant because it costs him money.:rolleyes:

I don't blame him, no one here knows this guy's budget better than himself. If I had to cut costs to pay bills, $20 for a videogame would be part of this. Some of you people need to stop acting like the world is filled with sunshine and llollipops and face reality.

I realize that. Vet bills are expensive, anyone who owns an animal knows this. I say the cat isn't relevant because the attitude of "I'm going through tough financial times (just like everyone else) so how about another discount?" is annoying to say the least.

The reality is that $20 for a good game that is bound to see more content updates in the future isn't asking much at all.

Upvote 0
I realize that. Vet bills are expensive, anyone who owns an animal knows this. I say the cat isn't relevant because the attitude of "I'm going through tough financial times (just like everyone else) so how about another discount?" is annoying to say the least.
So that cat isn't relevant because he's annoying? ...

I didn't find his post "annoying" at all. If anything it was kind of funny, he was just asking if there was going to be another weekend sale. Is there really in harm in that?

The reality is that $20 for a good game that is bound to see more content updates in the future isn't asking much at all.
You still don't know his financial standings, so this really doesn't matter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So that cat isn't relevant because he's annoying? ...

I didn't find his post "annoying" at all. If anything it was kind of funny, he was just asking if there was going to be another weekend sale. Is there really in harm in that?

You still don't know his financial standings, so this really doesn't matter.

I think the point to note is that his cat is what was expensive, but he is complaining about the cost of the game, which most of us believe is a fair, if not bargain price. Is the issue that he has $15 only and can't fit $20 into his budget, or that he actually has a method of measuring value and believes KF meets the $15 mark but not quite $20? If this is the case then he should explain how he came to this conclusion, the cat story is irrelevant (but funny and thanks for sharing). Otherwise, he just wants to feel like he's getting a good deal, and I don't think it would make any difference what the asking price was. If the game had cost $25 would he be asking to get it at $20? If it cost $15 would he want it for $10? Well it did cost $15 a few weeks ago, sorry that you missed that boat.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

HERE IS A GOOD EXPLAINATION FOR EVERYONE. Its not relevant that you care so much about your cat. If you complain about the price of the game. Don't buy it your too much of a cheap bastard to pay the 5 dollars extra for a game that extremely cheap to begin with. People are saying that the game is basically a STEAL. If you can't afford the $20 game too bad lowering it anymore would be insane and i'm sorry you cant afford 5 dollars because your cat but the only situation where 5 bucks would matter would be if you work for less than minimum wage. But um I live in canada so my animal care is free.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Well the thing is, COD is ****, and the only titles I buy are Tripwire, Bohemia and Simbin.

If RO had a box I'd still buy it for $50 just for fun. $20 for that trader though is too much, $15 is much more like it.
RO DOES have a box copy, i have two, you want to buy one for 50$?

edit: zero what part of canada has free pet vetrenarians? thats a load of tripe, i think you mean free from the bank of mommy and daddy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
RO DOES have a box copy, i have two, you want to buy one for 50$?

edit: zero what part of canada has free pet vetrenarians? thats a load of tripe, i think you mean free from the bank of mommy and daddy.

Wow im so offended. Kitchener, Ontario. Go ahead and think its a load of tripe I couldn't care less. anyways the whole point is he's asking to make a dirt cheap game even cheaper. I can't imagine they would make any money selling it at $15

Upvote 0
I think $20 is already plenty reasonable.
If I knew how much fun I would have with the game, I would have bought it even if it were $60. But at that time I didn't know, so I was hesitant about getting it at $20.

I think another free weekend would give KF some needed publicity, but lowering the price isn't reasonable or necessary.

Upvote 0
I think the point to note is that his cat is what was expensive, but he is complaining about the cost of the game, which most of us believe is a fair, if not bargain price.
Money is money; whether something is considered "bargain price" does not matter. While I agree $20 is a great deal for this game, when you have to cut costs you HAVE to cut costs. Saving $5 here and there really does add up over time.

Is the issue that he has $15 only and can't fit $20 into his budget, or that he actually has a method of measuring value and believes KF meets the $15 mark but not quite $20? If this is the case then he should explain how he came to this conclusion, the cat story is irrelevant (but funny and thanks for sharing). Otherwise, he just wants to feel like he's getting a good deal, and I don't think it would make any difference what the asking price was. If the game had cost $25 would he be asking to get it at $20? If it cost $15 would he want it for $10? Well it did cost $15 a few weeks ago, sorry that you missed that boat.
Agree with you here, but again, I don't think there's any harm in asking if there's ever gonna be a price reduction again. He might of worded it wrong when he said "$15 is kind of pushing it" but I believe he didn't really mean it that way. Then again, maybe he really only thinks the game is worth $15 of HIS money. If that's the case, who are we to tell him he's wrong?

@ Zero Insanity

Grow up dude, you're the biggest @%&$#&% on this forum.

Upvote 0
@ Zero Insanity

Grow up dude, you're the biggest @%&$#&% on this forum.

thank you, i agree with you jon.

PS: youd rather have this instead of this?! WTF is wrong with you ppl?! id pick KF over a dumb cat any day!

fat-cat.jpg

killing-floor-20090320110712745-000.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.