• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A proper M14 fix, Not an idea, but a bugfix

Also, once the fix is made, i will certainly give that gun another look, but i'm dubious... :(

Well next time you use it, practice compensating for the aim for a game or two, and you finally got used to the offset, it becomes pretty damn devastating.

also, the modded m14 uses the same model correct? Wouldn't it have the same offset but you wouldn't notice because you gave it automatic fire and loads of ammo?...

Upvote 0
Well next time you use it, practice compensating for the aim for a game or two, and you finally got used to the offset, it becomes pretty damn devastating.

also, the modded m14 uses the same model correct? Wouldn't it have the same offset but you wouldn't notice because you gave it automatic fire and loads of ammo?...

It starts out with 1 magazine and can hold up to 6 plus the one that is already in the gun for a total of 140 shots. Also the full auto fire is rather balanced as recoil is rather huge and accuracy is slightly reduced, not to mention its a huge ammo spender so it should only be used in emergencies or when crouching and using the iron sights.

Edit: I added in a new feature, the bullets will go exactly where the gun is aiming, rather then at the center of the screen, so when recovering from firing and you go to fire again, the shot will be off slightly plus the firing spread. I have to admit though I'm not sure how this will make the weapon better, but it adds some slight realism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It starts out with 1 magazine and can hold up to 6 plus the one that is already in the gun for a total of 140 shots. Also the full auto fire is rather balanced as recoil is rather huge and accuracy is slightly reduced, not to mention its a huge ammo spender so it should only be used in emergencies or when crouching and using the iron sights.

Edit: I added in a new feature, the bullets will go exactly where the gun is aiming, rather then at the center of the screen, so when recovering from firing and you go to fire again, the shot will be off slightly plus the firing spread. I have to admit though I'm not sure how this will make the weapon better, but it adds some slight realism.

Nice mod, But in the mean time, lets try and fix the original gun itself.

Once the ironsight is fixed and that we an see the laser is aligned perfectly, then we should have better based opinions on the gun in the future.

Upvote 0
I allways wondered why nobody ever used this gun to snipe with even though it's a long range wepon i allways see players useing it more as a close range commando wepon.

Yeah i studied the pic and the darn laser is like slightily to the right i was like no wonder i would never land a head shot from like 50 yards away.

Upvote 0
I have never noticed this, even at extremely long range, my bullet hits exactly at the top of the front sight post, as it should. The sights are hideous and headache inducing, though.

Turn off the laser at long distance and just use the sights, I can hit anything in the head I aim at out to any distance I can see, but I don't use it because of the crappy sights. If it had good sights, it would honestly probably become my favorite weapon in the game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Salad Snake
Upvote 0
M14 needs a scope. Damn, it is a Tier 3 Sharpshooter weapon. And sharpshooter is the one, who takes far targets. Of course, scope's zoom should be lesser than xbow, let say equal to SCAR's. I even agree to raise it's price or slightly reduce rate of fire, but scope is really need. Because now I sometimes buy M14 only as a secondary weapon, when using LAR.

Upvote 0
I suppose it doesn't have a zoom-in scope due to its high rate of fire, though. Sniping and high rate of fire? Take out a lotta targets from a distance before they even get close to the team.
No zoom; Fast fire rate; Not too powerful - M14
Zoom; Slow fire rate; Powerful - Xbow
Seems fine to me. But I do agree on the laser / iron sight. The iron sight could definitely look much better than what it is now...

Upvote 0
You forgot about 1 thing - recoil. If scope is added, recoil can be increased. For example, leave current recoil while shooting with laser sight and increase it by 50% while using a scope. Wtf, tier 3 commando weapon has a scope, but same tier weapon for sharpshooter - hasn't!
Yes, with M14 can fast clear room from trash... but commando with SCAR does it better.
Yes, with M14 can kill FP... but demolitions handle this job better.
So if you are playing solo or in a small team, then M14 can be useful. If you are playing in full team (5-6 players), then take a xbow, or choose a different perk.

Now lets talk about laser sight of M14. When pointing though the smoke, you should be able to see the red line in it (in real life you can check this by turning on laser pen in the fog). In the game you see nothing: no line and no dot. So if there is demo in the team, forgot about using M14.
On some maps with reddish textures (wyre outside, hostital roof etc) it is very hard to see the red dot. And if other player is using M14 too, it's a nightmare, cause you get confused, which dot belong to you. So I suggest to implement different colors of laser sight, i.e., pressing alternate fire button will cycle laser sight color between red/green/blue. Also laser sight color and state (on/off) should be remembered when next time switching the weapon.

Upvote 0
I used the M14 today, for the first time in forever... And I tried this.
The laser was actually straight, for me.

The laser leans on the side a tiny bit, depending on the angle of the wall. If you look at it straight-on, the laser is - Straight on.
If walk up to the wall and pretty much push your face against it, then run your laser from left to right, you'll realize it.

Upvote 0
I used the M14 today, for the first time in forever... And I tried this.
The laser was actually straight, for me.

The laser leans on the side a tiny bit, depending on the angle of the wall. If you look at it straight-on, the laser is - Straight on.
If walk up to the wall and pretty much push your face against it, then run your laser from left to right, you'll realize it.
I was messing around with this a little while ago and mixed results. I wish that bullet decals would stay a bit longer so I could test it at a longer range.

Anyway I remember someone mentioning something about the laser updating dynamically when reloading, now I'm not sure If I understood em right but it sounds like the laser and the iron sights have conflicting aiming methods.

Upvote 0