• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Are you releasing before BF3 hits the shelves?.

For 80 % of PC players it is much more important to see crushing buildings and bright explosions of Abrams hit by RPG.
I personally like moderate hardcore games ( RO and first AAO were ideal variant) , but Battlefield series is an ideal variant for fun gaming. I have only about 1-2 hrs per day to play and i very often i have a desire just to get in a tank , crush buildings and destroy choppers from main gun( sic ! ). When BC 2 Vietnam was released i played it 2 months and was extremely happy.
I would be happy if RO 2 will be able to give the same emotions , but at the moment none of the known facts sounds enough convincing.

Upvote 0
I liked BFBC2 for the fun of it, but now I'm totally through with any modern warfare game whatsoever being released, it's only about being the most bad *** sniper in these types of games, or when a new game comes out you have instead of 2 camo covers for your sniper, 4 or 5 new camo covers or new steam unlocks:rolleyes:

Nope, with ROHS and IL2 Cliffs of Dover and my year can't get any better.

Upvote 0
I hope it's out a reasonable time before bf, it will probaly get better sales and if it's close or after some may only have enough money for one or the other so first out as best chance of getting the money.

Die hard RO players will buy it anyway, it the others we got to snag.

Early summer would be good if poss

Upvote 0
I'm probably in the minority here, but I love Battlefield games, particularly BF2 and it's mods so I'm really looking forward to Battlefield 3.

I agree with the original poster that RO2 DOES have to come out before BF3 to get maximum sales. Your average gamer only has a finite time to play every week and when you consider the longevity you can get from a Battlefield game, they may not play another multiplayer games for YEARS.

Red Orchestra obviously has many differences to Battlefield, but BF3 will act like a Vacuum (much like CoD) and RO needs to come out many months before to ensure maximum exposure, or sales will be lost in that vacuum.

I still think RO2 will be a success even if it launched Q3 or Q4, but a Q2 release will really help.

Upvote 0
and when you consider the longevity you can get from a Battlefield game, they may not play another multiplayer games for YEARS.

I'd agree with you since that's been true in the past, except that without mod tools and community content, BF3 will only be popular until the next big flashy releases come out the following fall. That's the new reality in gaming, 3-4 month lifespans is the norm, with DLC extending it slightly.

HOS on the other hand, will be around with populated servers for years.

Reactions: Uurastaja
Upvote 0
I'd agree with you since that's been true in the past, except that without mod tools and community content, BF3 will only be popular until the next big flashy releases come out the following fall. That's the new reality in gaming, 3-4 month lifespans is the norm, with DLC extending it slightly.

HOS on the other hand, will be around with populated servers for years.
A big part of the longevity from past BF games was MODS. Modding has been a huge part of the BF series ever since the beginning, with mods like Desert Combat, Forgotten Hope, Galactic Conquest, Eve of Destruction, Forgotten Hope 2, Project Reality and many others. All of these mods at one time or another had a huge following and drastically changed the gameplay of Battlefield.

With this upcoming release, all you're going to be getting is BF3, with no chance to screw with it or look forward to great total conversions coming out due to the lack of mod tools. Therefore, it's life expectancy is about as long as any other popular AAA multiplayer title these days -- it is popular until the next big thing happens.

Upvote 0
I actually personally have enormous hatred for DICE, so I will never buy any of their games. The reason for the hate is because they have deliberately ignored the WW2 fans of whom have cried and pleaded for YEARS for a remake of BF1942. DICE has done nothing but spit in their faces along with a sorry half-*** attempt with USA/JAPAN only cheap download game in BF1943 with only a couple of maps.

Nope. DICE has ignored us WW2 fans and have spit in our faces.

Red Orchestra 2 is a saviour.

i don't believe they ignored you but they decided that they wanted to stick to modern genre not ww2 genre granted 1943 could have been better but they did give you something. (i actually heard alot of people really liked that game.) call of duty used to do ww2 which might have been part of it they wanted to do something different. plus ro2 will do better than a ww2 battlefield game ever woulda done. buisnesses are about money don't take it personally.

Upvote 0
I don't see BF3 as a direct competitor to RO2 except for the fact they both involve shooting stuff. Both games have their own fanbase and know how to appeal to them. I remain doubtful that many mainstream FPS gamers will come to RO2 (people actually think Homefront MP is too "real"). Sure, there are a good number of gamers like me that play both games, but I don't think RO2 will need to poach gamers; or compete head to head for that matter. It would be nice to have an influx of new blood, but I don't know how many people would be interested in RO2 without ever hearing of ROOST. (I guess I am a bit cynical)

Upvote 0
With this upcoming release, all you're going to be getting is BF3, with no chance to screw with it or look forward to great total conversions coming out due to the lack of mod tools. Therefore, it's life expectancy is about as long as any other popular AAA multiplayer title these days -- it is popular until the next big thing happens.

There are still thousands of vanilla BF2 servers, plenty of the more casual gamers are perfectly happy to soley play the original game. Although I prefer project reality, you really need to set a couple of hours aside for that, whereas vBF2 you can just hop on for 20 mins and get your kicks. Knowing EA, BF3 will have expansion packs to extend the longevity as well.

The fantastic modding community surrounding RO2 is definitely a huge plus and should help RO2 continue to sell long term.

Upvote 0
I don't see BF3 as a direct competitor to RO2 except for the fact they both involve shooting stuff. Both games have their own fanbase and know how to appeal to them. I remain doubtful that many mainstream FPS gamers will come to RO2 (people actually think Homefront MP is too "real"). Sure, there are a good number of gamers like me that play both games, but I don't think RO2 will need to poach gamers; or compete head to head for that matter. It would be nice to have an influx of new blood, but I don't know how many people would be interested in RO2 without ever hearing of ROOST. (I guess I am a bit cynical)

Two things: Homefront too real? This is really LOL:D
Bought it this morning, glitch prevented me to continue SP and the mp is just really bad.

Also I think it is actually better that a lot of ppl haven't heard about ROOST. A lot of ppl would be saying:'RO2 is the sequel of that very hard game I never really got to play for fun, I think I will stick to BF3'
So it could be better it's new:)

Upvote 0

I actually did the opposite, I had seen ROOST once or twice but had never bought it. Then I stumbled across HoS on steam a couple months ago. It looked really good, steam sales were on, and so I decided to check ROOST out, being tired of BC2. Now its my favorite game.

I think that RO2 should try to poach as many new players as possible. I'm positive that there are many others like me who just haven't had the exposure, and so trying to get those players to just try the game without alienating them will garner many new fans. Also think what some new fans could do, it might mean that there are still some NA servers six years from now...

Upvote 0
Yea, they need to release before BF3 for sure if they want to do well. I'd say at least like 1 entire Financial quarter prior so that the awesomeness that is ROHOS will have time to spread thru the intertubes and get new people to play it. Once BF3 is out...well no one is really gonna be interested in anything else no matter how awesome. Both games have things that can't be compared to the other, but strictly by curb appeal I think BF3 would be the hands down choice winner for buying by most unedumacated gamers. I think TWI is gonna release in like May to be honest guys. It was scheduled for Q1, they aren't gonna wait till 2012, and May is right before Summer so yea. Gives them time for their Betas. Friends and Family beta first=2 weeks to a month, aka Mid April. Then Clan Beta= End of April. Then Closed Beta w/ 20k keys ends towards end of May...So Release should be Late May if not beginning of June. It's worth it though XD!

Upvote 0
Hope your right about may/june if it's out first it will woo many of the undecided buyers and should wind up with a bigger player base. The earlier the better from a converting players point of view - will get rave reviews but to convert that to players takes time so if it can again a month or two over BF will help no end

After BF launch it will still sell on merit but many will aready be BF3 converts and will be much harder to get them to change.

Upvote 0
What I don't get is that you all think that it is SO important that RO2 comes out before BF3 because people would be playing BF3 and not wanting to get another game, then what makes you think that it would be different if RO2 comes out earlier?"

I'd assume that people would (If people actually only buy/play one game at a time like you people seem to believe), given the fact that there wouldn't be much time between the releases, rather wait a week or two to get the new Battlefield game.

I'm fairly certain that TWI themselves know when they want to release and whenever that is, it's the best time...

Upvote 0
When the TWI guys release what they believe is good enough to be the final (well, initial) product is entirely up to them, and the community has no idea exactly how much more time TWI wants to put into the game. If it's tomorrow, so be it, if it's months from now, so be it. I'd rather the game be released and be a strong title out of the gate rather than being rushed to beat the big bad Battlefield 3 and would have to be fixed through patches ala Paradox...

Upvote 0