• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Two primary weapons in HOS.

Ermac

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 19, 2007
I know what you're thinking "Oh god don't make this game like COD." But in some cases I think being able to carry two primary weapons is realistic. I've heard about Russian snipers carrying a PPSH in addition to their rifle when they came in close combat. I also remember seeing a picture of a Russian anti tank gunner using a captured MP40. Alot of times I think games shouldin't just allow somebody to not do something just because it's unorthadox, I think games should allow you to do it but have realistic consquences for it. If you decide to carry two rifles you shouldn't be able to run as fast and not have as much stamina. Also it just occured to me that in Ostfront it was unrealistic that you could holster LMGs or how often were slings used on the MG-42 and DP-28? And I think if possible all guns in should have sling modeled on them as it's something almost all games forget to include.

I wouldn't like to see this personally.
Kind of takes out the idea of a class (how can i be a pure rifleman if i can also spray and pray in CQB with a PPSH).
As for the other classes like Anti-tank gunners which now only feature a AT-weapon and a pistol (unlike it's German counterpart) i think it's the job of the team to protect him.
Giving each person two different side-arms would create to many lone wolfs i think, because they can do everything themselves.

Right now as it is in Ostfront you are dependant on others: if you are in a large open area as an assault soldier, you count on your riflemen and sniper to support you.
If you are in CQB as a rifleman you count on your assault soldiers to protect you and not allow the enemy close.
And this definitely goes up for the Russian AT-gunner. You help your team by killing off vehicles they can't destroy, while they should guard your back from enemy infantry as you do so.
That's the best way imo.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't like to see this personally.
Kind of takes out the idea of a class (how can i be a pure rifleman if i can also spray and pray in CQB with a PPSH).
As for the other classes like Anti-tank gunners which now only feature a AT-weapon and a pistol (unlike it's German counterpart) i think it's the job of the team to protect him.
Giving each person two different side-arms would create to many lone wolfs i think, because they can do everything themselves.

Right now as it is in Ostfront you are dependant on others: if you are in a large open area as an assault soldier, you count on your riflemen and sniper to support you.
If you are in CQB as a rifleman you count on your assault soldiers to protect you and not allow the enemy close.
And this definitely goes up for the Russian AT-gunner. You help your team by killing off vehicles they can't destroy, while they should guard your back from enemy infantry as you do so.
That's the best way imo.

I never was really dependent on my teamates that much, it was my job only for self preservation.

Upvote 0
The main thing that makes me think this would be cool is that you can do it in real life, so why not allow to do it in game as well.
As Ermac mentioned, you could add consequences for having two primary weapons. You can make this consequences really severe so not everyone would like to have two weapons all the time. One thing to restrict, as mentioned, is the moving speed, and not only walking, but sprinting as well. You could make the movement more loud and noisy, increase the weapon changing/reloading time, etc.

I bet a lot of people would prefer to move faster than to carry an additional gun.

Upvote 0
A small image of a russian sniper miniature carrying a PPSH:
61907645.jpg

As I said, you could heavily limit the moving speed and add other negative effects.
I don't understand how it would feel gamey? It feels gamey now, when you have slots for weapons and they limit you on what you can carry.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I too would like this perk acheivement. I like my snipers being smg warriors and my ptrd soldats using a sniper rifle too . .

Its all about keeping people doing their correct roles . . . sniper need to be snipers and not pushing forward . . etc etc . .

also in current RO, smg, sniper etc are limited so how would they decide who gets two weapons . . would it mean one less free class for someone else? or everyone gets an smg . .

Upvote 0
i like the idea of picking up a weapon but not the ammo.

Carrying a extra weapon itself wouldnt really make you slower, maybe a bit clumsier but not much. The extra ammo that would kill your stamina, speed and increase your clumsiness. Especially because where would you store the extra ammo?

Upvote 0
YEah and why not some german machine gunner @ mg34, carrying some PPSH for melee and a scoped kar98 for long distances ? Oh my bad, i forgot the knife to cut yankees bawls off :D

Definitely no, dude. Each role has his weap :)

Go to the nearest strikeball shop and try to put all this stuff on you and sprint 50 meters. I would really wanna see you operate in these conditions effectivly.
Bet you won't even fit in the doorway on your way out.

If the game would emulate this realistically, I'm all for it!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A sniper might have carried a submachinegun with him, but he was in actual war. If enemy soldiers came too close and he was detected, a submachinegun could save his life. In a game, you simply respawn. Survival isn't as much a priority to people as winning the map is. Try convincing people that if they are a sniper, they should only use the PPSH in worst-case scenarios. Instead they will probably take advantage of it and possibly upset the balance of the game.

Upvote 0