• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Server High quality audio codec ingame

Zetsumei

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Amsterdam, Netherlands
By default the high quality audio codec is not available on dedicated servers

[Engine.VoiceChatReplicationInfo]
bEnableVoiceChat=True
bAllowLocalBroadcast=True
MaxChatters=0
LocalBroadcastRange=1000.000000
DefaultBroadcastRadius=20.000000
VoIPInternetCodecs=CODEC_48NB
VoIPLANCodecs=CODEC_48NB
VoIPLANCodecs=CODEC_96WB

you can enable it by simply adding a simple line

[Engine.VoiceChatReplicationInfo]
bEnableVoiceChat=True
bAllowLocalBroadcast=True
MaxChatters=0
LocalBroadcastRange=1000.000000
DefaultBroadcastRadius=20.000000
VoIPInternetCodecs=CODEC_48NB
VoIPInternetCodecs=CODEC_96WB
VoIPLANCodecs=CODEC_48NB
VoIPLANCodecs=CODEC_96WB

--------------------

This way if people select the high quality voip in their settings it will actually work. THe low quality one is horrible but the high quality is quite nice.

Just keep in mind guys, you don't get this for "free". It is going to use double the bandwidth for each VOIP channel for each person. If that is not a concern, then go for it. It defaults to the lower quality to save this bandwidth.

I can understand using the lower quality one for local servers and player hosted ones. But the dedicated server installment that you need to obtain using hlds is probably mainly installed on servers in datacenters with plenty of bandwidth.

Anyway can you tell us what the exact bandwidth footprint is of the different codecs. Because with the default player netspeed and maxinternetclientrate of 10kB/s we wouldnt want the voip to take a way precious bandwidth from the game within the allowed quota.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I can understand using the lower quality one for local servers and player hosted ones. But the dedicated server installment that you need to obtain using hlds is probably mainly installed on servers in datacenters with plenty of bandwidth.

Anyway can you tell us what the exact bandwidth footprint is of the different codecs. Because with the default player netspeed and maxinternetclientrate of 10kB/s we wouldnt want the voip to take a way precious bandwidth from the game within the allowed quota.

I'm not 100% sure without looking at the code (I'm at home right now), but I believe the low quality option uses 48 kbps (thats kilobits not bytes) and the high quality option uses 96kbps.

Reactions: waccracker
Upvote 0
Assuming they have remembered to set the option in their client also ;)

Yes, the first post makes that pretty clear.

Also, if you frequent any servers it can't hurt to post this suggestion in their boards if they haven't already changed it, I know my favorite servers were more than willing to change this when I gave them the heads up.

Upvote 0
I suggest everyone leave it at the default unless running a lan. The voice quality is good enough, and won't be eating extra bandwidth.

I think voice quality is TERRIBLE. Can barley hear what people are saying. I noticed most on my server just chat because of it even though they have mics. Once I setup a vent server people were using their mics again. :c)

Upvote 0
I think voice quality is TERRIBLE. Can barley hear what people are saying. I noticed most on my server just chat because of it even though they have mics. Once I setup a vent server people were using their mics again. :c)

Exactly right. The in game voice would probably be better off disabled completely unless its gonna be improved. The quality is dire.

Upvote 0