• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank battles

are you reffering to the Shermans? You do know in order for a Sherman in WW2 to take out on the Tiger tank took about 2-3 of them....Not all 2-3 shooting at it,but 2 to draw the Tigers attention while the 3rd Shermie would of sneak up behind and fire 2 or 3 shots at the rear of the Tiger and thats the only way Shermie would of taken on the Tiger tank,
Not if You had the British modified Shermans with 17 Pounder AT Gun called the Firefly.....No seeking involved there against a Tiger;):D

Reactions: Tank!
Upvote 0
Not if You had the British modified Shermans with 17 Pounder AT Gun called the Firefly.....No seeking involved there against a Tiger;):D

didnt this sort of modification came towards the end of the war?
I believe lots of Shermans were ridiculously destroyed in WW2 before this sort of modification came in,I feel for all the soldiers that lost their lives,must be horrible feeling shooting at something that you barelly leave dent in it while he is slowly moving his turrent to blow u in pieces.

Didnt the very first modification had problems with the Shermies due to the AT gun barrel was heavy? I think that they added to it a new British engine,but not sure if it was RR,cause I think RR engine was given also to the Mustang airplane fighter?.I read about this while back so I'm forgeting the names of some things,think I read it about a year a go given take.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The Sherman was first used in anger by the commonwealth forces in North Africa on a level playing field against panzer III and IV's...until they reached Tunisia and that's when the Tigers came into play of the 10th Panzers..and they soon realised that Sherman with it's 75 mm short wasn't even in the same class as the Tiger with it's now infamous 88....So when Britain got the Shermans that where shipped to Britain they retro fitted them with the 17 pounder ready for D Day.....unfortunatly they didn't have enough time to complete many (I believe 1 in every 15 British shermans where Fireflies).
They became that feared, even by Tiger crews that German Tank commanders and AT Gunners where ordered to take out the Fireflies first....it's been said the Firefly took one of Germany's leading Tank Aces

"Wittmann's Tigers blundered into a classic tank ambush. In the course of this brief, bloody engagement, the fire of just one Firefly accounted for three of Wittmann's Tigers. As Wittmann's tank exploded after being hit, the famed German Panzer ace, who had proved such a scourge to the Allies in Normandy, met the warrior's death that befitted his military career. This combat episode provides bountiful testimony to the awesome killing power of the Sherman Firefly, the Tiger tank destroyer extraordinaire."

Last edited:
Reactions: slavek and Tank!
Upvote 0
I accidentally editted rather than quoted a post above and know of no way to correct that so apologies to SS (ah, I see what he did there :mad:).

The main point I was trying to make thru that hamfisted bit of moderation is this...

Can you please keep the endless, pointless arguments about the technical superiority of the Tiger vs Allied tanks to wherever it is all the endless, pointless arguments about Tiger vs Allied tanks usually get posted, so that people who care can easily find them?

Many thanks.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can you please keep the endless, pointless arguments about the technical superiority of the Tiger vs Allied tanks to wherever it is all the endless, pointless arguments about Tiger vs Allied tanks usually get posted, so that people who care can easily find them?

Many thanks.
Fair Enough Nestor, and Guilty as charged Mate, will keep it to the PTO:)

Upvote 0
No doubt a tank on tank map would be out of place given the ****iness and small numbers of the Japanese tanks, but I would really like to see a few land based and amphibious tanks playing the role of infantry support, especially if there are beach landing scenarios. Though the Japanese tanks would be absolutely no match for the American tanks, I can see them being useful for anti-infantry purposes.

Is it possible for mods to revert to the "old" RO method of tanks? ALA no modeled interiors? I personally would prefer a few lower qaulity tanks as apposed to super high qaulity tanks that take 10 times longer for the dev team to make. Though you'd still need to work with the advanced hitbox setup, you'd save a lot of time on the animations and modeling of the interiors.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is it possible for mods to revert to the "old" RO method of tanks? ALA no modeled interiors? I personally would prefer a few lower qaulity tanks as apposed to super high qaulity tanks that take 10 times longer for the dev team to make. Though you'd still need to work with the advanced hitbox setup, you'd save a lot of time on the animations and modeling of the interiors.

Yes, this should be easy. The devs would simply make...less detailed interiors. I'm certain the new tanking system doesn't force devs to make things highly detailed.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there are tanks, it'd be nice if the Japanese type 95 was portrayed for how ****ty it actually is. the thing was pure garbage, 15 millimeters of armor. I'm almost positive that sustained M1919 fire would turn a Type 95 tank into an expensive piece of swiss cheese. I'm sure it'd also be vulnerable to frag grenades landing on top of it.

It's basically a glorified armored car.

There should be balance, but it doesn't necessarily mean that you need to always have 1 Stuart vs 1 Type 95 (the stuart would outmatch it, anyways), you could always just have a couple of type 95's fighting against US infantry. The type 95 was not meant for Tank on Tank combat, anyways. It is by nature designed for infantry support, it's paper-thin armor and weak main gun illustrates that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
worded that wrong, ment rather which tank was used more, rather it was the m3 or the m4
although I still feel that I have worded this bad..
Hiya echutter
The reason I used these tanks as examples is because they did actually meet in the first tank battle that involved the U.S in WWII.
And the Type 95 came out better than the M3 (one M3 destroyed and 4 crippled).
Although the M3's belonged to the U.S Army and not the Marines and this battle took place around the 22nd Dec 1941 in the Phillipines.
The U.S Marines 1st Tank Batt did use the M2 light Tank (which was the pre-war for-runner to the M3) and would be an even more balanced match for the Type 95.
The type 95 was basically AFAIK used on all the Islands in the Island hopping campaign and that's why I used that Japanse tank for My example.
Also I think "Lights" would be a nice change to the more Romanticised and overly used ( in Gaming) Shermans.
And the Lights where prefered by both sides as they where more suited to Jungle terrain and easier to deploy and manuver.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Maybe this? :D

Type-95 Wounded Warrior
2x2048
(3dsMax Xoulioul Shader and Unity3d Engine)

30351401.jpg

26506596.jpg

wwhago.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0