• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why so few CD players?

CD FTW!

Took some time to learn NOT to take the quickest way but to go really wide and flank, ninjaing enemies on the way and then getting to teh flag area from behind.
I think that with deaths not displaying at all, weve got used to aggressive suicidal tactix, and CD simply requires a different approach

Loving all three game modes, each one has something special others dontl.

Upvote 0
Because you respawn even when you have survived, it ruins everything and spoils the action.
When the devs first talked about it I pictured a territory game mode with only one life, everyone would had to be extra careful about every action or movement, an extra realistic game mode..that would have been so cool !
As it is this game mode is ok but it would be way better if we weren't forced to respawn even when we survive.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because you respawn even when you have survived, it ruins everything.
When the devs first talked about it I pictured a territory game mode with only one life, everyone would had to be extra careful about every action or movement, an extra realistic game mode..that would have been so cool !
But this game mode would be ok if we weren't forced to respawn even when we survive.

If they ever release those Linux binaries I'm planning to run a CD server with a mutator that makes it so that if anyone ever respawns, it's only the dead ones.

Upvote 0
I love the idea of CD.

Playing with 1st person spectator is perfectly fine, and fair, as there's no Teamspeak/Ventrilo shenanigans. I enjoy following around the lone survivor, watching him fight to surviiiiiiiive [Bloodsport].

I think, as many others have said, that introducing a short prep time for defenders would solve most issues. At the moment, it's a mad rush for the defense zone, and most defenders are killed in a crazed shootout trying to win a ridiculous foot race. Increasing the amount of time in each round would also help make it less crazed, especially if the defenders are given a 10-15 lead time.

Once an objective is captured, the defenders should respawn on the second objective some distance away. Meanwhile, the dead attackers respawn, the survivors continue playing with no interruption. Time resets. The attackers then advance and cover the distance to objective 2 and attack (defenders will be ready). Eventually, time runs out on a capture or the defenders are pushed off of the final objective, at which point the sides switch and the overall progress and time of the attackers is displayed, along with a round-by-round breakdown (how fast they captured each objective, and where they failed, if they failed).

New attackers must reach the failed objective and capture it to win before time runs out. Or, they must complete all objectives with a better overall time (assuming the original attackers completed all objectives).

Upvote 0
I don't play Countdown (and immediately leave when the server I'm on switches to it) because I burned out on that type of game mode on CS 10 years ago and also America's Army.
I don't have the patience/just flat out want to wait 2-3+ minutes waiting for a bunch of campers to finally kill each other or for the timer to run out.
I find it boring as all living hades and avoid it when at all possible.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
Back when I was cutting my teeth and super human FPS abilities.. I liked S&D .. alot-

Although in all honesty.. today.. For my gaming dollar, I just would rather not play those sorts of games - for a whole slew of reasons.

Give me TE -

In RO1- and RO DH- the maps had enough variety/objections/size, It made the game feel complete on its own with out forcing the issue or emphasizing one aspect only- In RO/DH that I really wish they would of emphasized that aspect of this series alot more- instead of making two meh game types that add very little to the game imo-

The time could of been spend on maps instead.

Upvote 0
I was wondering, why do you guys prefer territory game mode so much? I mean, most of the forums community is living for "as realistic as possible" gameplay, but then I browse the servers and see almost everyone playing (almost as much as you want respawns) territory mode. I mean, kills and deaths lose their meaning in territory mode. You run in, kill as much as you can, and if you die, nevermind, there is still 157 respawns left -.- Please, explain this to me, since I find this mode a version of casual play, and yet, it seems everyone is playing this. Thanks,

Scharfmann.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't CountDown reset your position and plop you elsewhere on the map after a countdown round / cap occurs?

Neither game mode is more realistic than the other.

I prefer Territory because #1 - the combat and action is continuous without having to be thrown somewhere else while you're in the middle of doing something else and #2 - I don't enjoy the Counter-Strike game style of FF or CD, where I spawn, walk a few feet to the objective, then I'm killed before I get a shot off and have to wait the rest of the round waiting to play again.

It's why I never got into Counter-Strike in the first place. Regardless of how much realism one wants in a game, it's still a game..... and I'd much rather continue to play the game, than to sit there doing nothing while watching others play the game & sucking up my bandwidth.

Or even worse, you die, and you're stuck there doing nothing but listening to what's going on because your screen is blacked out.

That and I've been accustomed to Territory style game play since RO1 and the Mod.

You quoted specifically that people want "As Realistic as Possible" ~ Possible is subjective.

I prefer a game to be "As Realistic as Practical" in that I still want it to be enjoyable..... and having fun in playing a game is more important to how real it is.

Upvote 0