• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
We do know the fragmentation grenade in ROOST modeled individual fragment ballistics. Based on that, I'm guessing at the very least the fragmentation (F1) grenade will in ROHOS.

I have no idea if the high explosive rounds did in ROOST too (I'd suspect they did), or will in ROHOS.

Though to clarify, these are "projectiles" are part of the ordinance. It might be harder to model "shrapnel" coming from the environment, such as concrete bits and wood splinters. That would require modeling the material it's exploding on (which is probably already in the BSP for sound and penetration values).

Last edited:
Reactions: Krieger
Upvote 0
I would like to see non-lethal shrapnel wounds. Shrapnel is much less lethal than bullets, soldiers that get hit by few shrapnel pieces should only get light/bodypart injuries (bandageable on RO2). I didn't like how shrapnel-spewing explosions either killed you instantly or did nothing in Ostfront, not very realistic.

I would have to disagree with you that shrapnels are much less leathal than bullets. Shrapnels/fragments are very deadly indeed IRL, so no need to belittle the damage that shrapnels do in game either. Shrapnels (especially from mortar/artillery shels) are easily comparable to bullets fired from pistol, allthough size and weight of fragments varies alot. And one usually gets hit by multiple shrapnels at once.

I agree, that shrapnels should not be "insta death/nothing happens"-shrapnels. If they are going (in the damage model) to take incount the velocity of the shrapnel, the weight/size of the shrapnel and the place where it hits, I dont know. But it sounds a bit complicated, since afterall we don

Upvote 0
I would have to disagree with you that shrapnels are much less leathal than bullets. Shrapnels/fragments are very deadly indeed IRL, so no need to belittle the damage that shrapnels do in game either. Shrapnels (especially from mortar/artillery shels) are easily comparable to bullets fired from pistol, allthough size and weight of fragments varies alot. And one usually gets hit by multiple shrapnels at once.

I agree, that shrapnels should not be "insta death/nothing happens"-shrapnels. If they are going (in the damage model) to take incount the velocity of the shrapnel, the weight/size of the shrapnel and the place where it hits, I dont know. But it sounds a bit complicated, since afterall we don

Upvote 0
Quite honestly there is no room for something like shrapnel in a skill based shooter.

You are being dishonest. RO2 is not a simple "skill based shooter", it's much much more. You must be thinking of Quake or Counter-Strike etc. RO2 is supposed to be realistic, shrapnel is realistic. If you're obsessed with skill and competition maybe you should go somewhere else.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe BFG plasma ball explosion in Doom had 40 traces, so 50 traces shouldn't be a problem in current game. Also there are ways to fake tracing if necessary - for example by making a single trace to target and then make random number roll to see if the trace is "live", with chance based on target distance.

Except in doom you dont have BFGs going off every second like you have grenandes going off in red orchestra. At any given moment in red orchestra there's always somebody shooting, always something exploding, etc. Chances are if you are anywhere near a grenade you're going to get a fair peppering with very small and numerous shrapnel. Artillery on the other hand is going to send out some pretty big chunks of metal, so actually having ballistic shrapnel would be a cool and original feature for artillery as shrapnel would ricochet off walls and take limbs off, whereas grenade shrapnel is utterly useless and can easily be modeled numerically instead of physically.

Take a video like this for example, when the artillery impacts you can see about 20 bits of shrapnel go skipping across the ground, that would be cool to have in RO, and not simply be a waste of server resources.

YouTube - 155mm XM982 demonstration

Last edited:
Reactions: Lucan946
Upvote 0