• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWB Play Test Review

Thanks for posting the Reviews.

In one part of the post, sturmfuhrer mentioned how effortlessly he was able to compromise the terrain ( slopes, stairs, etc ) or running across the battlefield with ease.
That part bothers me alot as I was hoping it would be the opposite. You should get tired ( stamina ) running 100 yards in flat terrain. Also, your speed & stamina should be reduced if moving through compromising terrain depending if running or walking.

RO:Ost had it almost right as troops running across an open field would get tired at around the 100 yard mark.
Unfortunately, I was hoping for the speed & stamina to be reduced when going through compromising terrain.
Overall it was a good compromise as troops atleast got tired running half-way across the battlefield ( part open, part compromising terrain ).

SL Spawning does not appeal to me either.
Troops will keep respawning near the action making the killing spree increase more so.

These above along with other posts I have engaged in, seems to me like this is just another Run & Gun game with only the WWII setting as being realistic.

Joe
Its a shame we've lost you as player before the game even makes it out the box. All the other play testers seemed to have enjoyed the game, though.

Upvote 0
Thanks for posting the Reviews.

In one part of the post, sturmfuhrer mentioned how effortlessly he was able to compromise the terrain ( slopes, stairs, etc ) or running across the battlefield with ease.
That part bothers me alot as I was hoping it would be the opposite. You should get tired ( stamina ) running 100 yards in flat terrain. Also, your speed & stamina should be reduced if moving through compromising terrain depending if running or walking.

RO:Ost had it almost right as troops running across an open field would get tired at around the 100 yard mark.
Unfortunately, I was hoping for the speed & stamina to be reduced when going through compromising terrain.
Overall it was a good compromise as troops atleast got tired running half-way across the battlefield ( part open, part compromising terrain ).

SL Spawning does not appeal to me either.
Troops will keep respawning near the action making the killing spree increase more so.

These above along with other posts I have engaged in, seems to me like this is just another Run & Gun game with only the WWII setting as being realistic.

Joe

I was speaking to how easy it was to do what you want in game without having the game fight you. Yes you lose stamina and such, however when you approach a obstacle to mantle, it was effortless to mantle over the obsticle realistically.

As for your perception that this is a run-gun style shooter, I can say that is absolutely not correct. Please read me preview again and focus on the areas where I speak to how you must think tactically to survive and if you try to run and gun you will die quickly.

Regards,

Upvote 0
In RO:Ost,
There is walking, advancing ( jogging ), and Running ( Sprint ), When walking or advancing there is no lose, but when running, there is stamina lose.

I have already seen a couple of Tripewires Videos of HoS, and it just seems to be another Run & Gun game.
As if you thought RO:Ost casualties were'nt high enough or gameplay to fast...Now comes along RO:HoS.
The point is not to die several times, but rather to live once...Or, am I missing something here.

Yes, and please stop reminding me this is only a 'Video Game', and not a Realistic WWII FPS Simulation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
In RO:Ost,
There is walking, advancing ( jogging ), and Running ( Sprint ), When walking or advancing there is no lose, but when running, there is stamina lose.

I have already seen a couple of Tripewires Videos of HoS, and it just seems to be another Run & Gun game.
As if you thought RO:Ost casualties were'nt high enough or gameplay to fast...Now comes along RO:HoS.

Yes, and please stop reminding me this is only a 'Video Game', and not a Realistic WWII FPS Simulation.

I assume when they were talking about running, he meant what you call advancing. At least, I hope so.

Upvote 0
RO:Ost, unfortunatly, is a fast paced Shooter game, but still the only WWII Shooter game I play.

I still might get RO:HoS in due time ( after the critics chim in after release ), but will find a 'Realism Group' to atleast tone the game down abit to a more realistic atmosphere.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was speaking to how easy it was to do what you want in game without having the game fight you. Yes you lose stamina and such, however when you approach a obstacle to mantle, it was effortless to mantle over the obsticle realistically.

As for your perception that this is a run-gun style shooter, I can say that is absolutely not correct. Please read me preview again and focus on the areas where I speak to how you must think tactically to survive and if you try to run and gun you will die quickly.

Regards,

I have seen some of the HoS videos, and it seems way to effortlessly, and unrealistically to mantle an obstacle ( jumping over walls, etc ), and way to fast to run up & down stairs...just as a couple of examples.

Believe me, if I was at that TWI gameplay of HoS I would be one of there greatest critics.
I would tell them exactly what would be needed to make the game 'More Realistic', and not their interpritationof 'Realism'.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1284675083426.jpg

Upvote 0
I have seen some of the HoS videos, and it seems way to effortlessly ( unfortunately, like in RO1 ) and, unrealitically to mantle an obstacle ( jumping over walls, etc ), and way to fast to run up & down stairs...just a couple of examples.

Yeah, the stairs did seem too quick, but it's still in alpha. Hopefully, that'll be tweaked by release.

Reactions: wahoo4 and Vyllis
Upvote 0
You've said the sounds are great, if you're allowed under NDA to state (or if a Tripwire member would like to comment), does this mean a lot of sound recording has been done and they're finally swapping out placeholders?

The level of sound recording that has been accomplished would be better for TWI to comment on as I would only be able to guess at this point. I do know that the sounds that were present were nicely done.

Upvote 0
The level of sound recording that has been accomplished would be better for TWI to comment on as I would only be able to guess at this point. I do know that the sounds that were present were nicely done.

Nevertheless it's good to hear. Glad you guys had some fun. I can't wait to get in the war torn areas of Stalingrad myself.

Upvote 0
I have seen some of the HoS videos, and it seems way to effortlessly, and unrealistically to mantle an obstacle ( jumping over walls, etc ), and way to fast to run up & down stairs...just as a couple of examples.

Believe me, if I was at that TWI gameplay of HoS I would be one of there greatest critics.
I would tell them exactly what would be needed to make the game 'More Realistic', and not their interpritationof 'Realism'.
Sometimes you just can't reason with people, even when those trying to do the reasoning are the only ones who have actually PLAYED THE GAME.

It seems regardless what people tell you, this game is clearly not your thing -- so don't buy it! No one is forcing you to like it. It's too bad, though, because I think you're going to find yourself missing out.

Upvote 0

Yes and I am sure they would totally listen to your advice. They probably waited desperately for many years for you to tell them how to do it.

I guess you are right, that whole game design thing is probably way to complex for a quite successful game studio like TW.

****in noobs :rolleyes:.

Upvote 0
You've said the sounds are great, if you're allowed under NDA to state (or if a Tripwire member would like to comment), does this mean a lot of sound recording has been done and they're finally swapping out placeholders?
Swapping out bit by bit. The guys heard a mix of old and new. The new are nice - trust me :)

And I'll get my retaliation in before the game comes out: if you think the MG34 doesn't sound like an MG34 - well, the bad news is that it was recorded off live fire from, wait for it... an MG34. With about 5 microphones. And 5 sound guys. And an Emmy-winning sound engineer. So there.

Upvote 0