• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I feel bad for the 'people' I kill in HoS

I feel bad for guys on the other team spawning right in front of me.

Never had a chance. That's not fun.
That reminds me. The people I DON'T feel bad about are the people who run in front of me while I'm firing my machine gun, and then complain and imply that I was the one at fault. When I fail and run in front of someone myself and they said sorry in chat I always say something like "np, it was my fault"

Pro-tip in almost any FPS with FF on: don't run in front of someone who's actively firing their god damn weapon...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Whenever I shoot an enemy in the neck and watch & hear him choke and shout, I always wish I could just end his pain by shooting him in the head.

I've come across this situation at least 4 times already. I've shot at the body just so I don't have to hear him choke, yet I can't kill him so it makes me feel bad.

The game needs an option to disable the death noises. :(

Upvote 0
I mean, I just had to listen to two Germans I slaughtered simultaneously choke to death on their own blood.

And then there are the ones who call out for their mothers.

Or scream and moan and writhe around for like 20 seconds.

Goddamn PTSD Simulator.

Sometimes it really hits home - the verisimilitude and atmosphere are astounding. Very few games are capable of making me feel empathy for the avatars I'm shooting, never mind a freaking multiplayer game. I've never played another FPS online and thought "Damn, sorry dude", after killing somebody.. only ever "HAHA SUCK IT ***** NOW TASTE MY SCROTUM WHILE I **** YOU TILL YOU LOVE ME ****** OORAH"

But I suppose I still do get like that if I manage to kill some dude that was able to kill me a bunch of times in a row.

But then I see his mangled corpse and realise he was just a man like me. RIP, Brother.

RO2 is an awesome game is alls I'm sayin'.

Totally agree. It's when you do them with a bolt action rifle. That sound is so life ending. Bang. Dead.

Upvote 0
I don't mourn anyone.

Because I know they wouldn't mourn me. I've become 100% desensitized to the violence in ROHOS after only like a week. Tonight someone shot me after I put a round right through his chest. He filled up my whole screen and as I was watching I was yelling "Bleed, bleed for me Fritz!" And he did indeed topple.

So yeah. Any semblance of pity I feel for the other team gets wiped out the minute I set foot in Commissar's House as the Russians. I know something is going down when I start hearing what sounds like a civil war surgery room not far off. When two assault squads meet, it sounds like the fifth circle of hell.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This is almost the first I heard of this (cool) feature. I've killed thousands but barely noticed much sounds. Almost everyone I kill is from a longer distance. Hate getting into CQB, especially since the framerate tends to drop to 10 fps from 70 whenever I bring up the sights and fire at someone who is also firing with SMGs. I have noticed them squirming a lot on the ground though after I hit people at a distance, which is a neat feature. Just can't hear them.

I should have noticed my own team mates gurgling and such though, since they often get shot nearby. Maybe I just don't notice it, busy focusing on other sounds I guess.

Either way, so far I feel no empathy for the 3D avatars. I know 100% they are not real, and there is no anguish what so ever except maybe some frustration from the player controlling that avatar. In reality though, I have great empathy for people suffering.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I mean, I just had to listen to two Germans I slaughtered simultaneously choke to death on their own blood.

And then there are the ones who call out for their mothers.

Or scream and moan and writhe around for like 20 seconds.

Goddamn PTSD Simulator.

Sometimes it really hits home - the verisimilitude and atmosphere are astounding. Very few games are capable of making me feel empathy for the avatars I'm shooting, never mind a freaking multiplayer game. I've never played another FPS online and thought "Damn, sorry dude", after killing somebody.. only ever "HAHA SUCK IT ***** NOW TASTE MY SCROTUM WHILE I **** YOU TILL YOU LOVE ME ****** OORAH"

But I suppose I still do get like that if I manage to kill some dude that was able to kill me a bunch of times in a row.

But then I see his mangled corpse and realise he was just a man like me. RIP, Brother.

RO2 is an awesome game is alls I'm sayin'.

I agree man. A few times when I was killed and the screen faded to black and you hear my character scream please please help me me please. I got taken back and made me actually have empathy and for a minute placed myself in his shoes.

Great job TWI did on that.

Upvote 0
the emotional deaths really remind me of this scene in Stalingrad from 1993, of a Russian dying and silently crying for his mother, with a shocked german soldier for a witness.

they might have been influenced from it. one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen in a war film.

(Minor Spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the movie - watch from 1:19)

Stalingrad : Battle Inside The Factory (HQ) - YouTube

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the emotional deaths really remind me of this scene in Stalingrad from 1993, of a Russian dying and silently crying for his mother, with a shocked german soldier for a witness.

they might have been influenced from it. one of the saddest scenes I've ever seen in a war film.

(Minor Spoiler for anyone who hasn't watched the movie - watch from 1:19)

Stalingrad : Battle Inside The Factory (HQ) - YouTube

Did i see a Zombie from 3:10 onwards. :p

Although i don't have a clue what they are saying except for some very basic phrases, thats exactly the kind of emote, Tripwire has managed to somehow pull across into the game.

Its like with Amnesia: The Dark Decent, the game uses sound design incredibly well to convey huge amounts of dread and fear.

Tripwire, your Sound Designer and your Lead Animator should get BAFTAs at this years Game awards because i think the weapon animations and death/physics, as with every other TW game are excellent.

Upvote 0
When I played Beta, I heard these the first time round and gave me a real chill, the real feel of war and its brilliant.

Although have to say since I have had to lower all my settings from ultra to medium, I cant say I hear them anymore, I just have the animations of a character squirming on the floor, could the 'FX' setting affect this ?

Upvote 0