• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Gamespy's Review for RO2 is Up

Garabaldi

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 29, 2006
Toronto, Canada
Is there a thread we should collect all the reviews in?

Or, perhaps a better question - do reviews even matter?

[url]http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/red-orchestra-heroes-of-stalingrad/1194575p1.html[/URL]

4.5/5

Pros: Truly innovative, amazing player control scheme, stunning authenticity, the thinking person's shooter, mod support, stellar audio visual presentation

Cons: Very buggy at launch, not enough tools to facilitate teamwork, only 10 maps

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the kind of shooter that can live only on the PC. It's far deeper than console shooters, and makes no concessions to accessibility to appeal to a casual audience. This is as hardcore as first person shooters get, and if you're prepared to put the time in to learn how to play it well, you'll be rewarded with a level of satisfaction that team deathmatch will never deliver. With the promise of free DLC on the horizon, as well as two Total Conversions already well into development, the game's life should prove to be as long as it is varied. Tripwire should be applauded for not being afraid to innovate, but at the same time I wonder if they've bitten off a little more than they could chew. Despite the bugs, this is the perfect shooter for those who like to exercise their intellect as much as their trigger fingers.

Agree with it, mostly. Though they make it sound far less buggy than it actually is right now. Then again, maybe the reviewer simply didn't run into many issues, though with an alleged 30+ hours played, I doubt it.

---

?

"Cons: Very buggy at launch"

And RO2 isn't that buggy compared to other big titles.
Biggest problems are performance and crashing issues.

Upvote 0
Gamespy's Review for RO2 is Up

I did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere on here yet.

Source: http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/red-orchestra-heroes-of-stalingrad/1194575p1.html

Review Summary:

Rating: 4.5/5, Great!

Pros:

Truly innovative, amazing player control scheme, stunning authenticity, the thinking person's shooter, mod support, stellar audio visual presentation

Cons:

Very buggy at launch, not enough tools to facilitate teamwork, only 10 maps

Concluding Paragraph:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad is the kind of shooter that can live only on the PC. It's far deeper than console shooters, and makes no concessions to accessibility to appeal to a casual audience. This is as hardcore as first person shooters get, and if you're prepared to put the time in to learn how to play it well, you'll be rewarded with a level of satisfaction that team deathmatch will never deliver. With the promise of free DLC on the horizon, as well as two Total Conversions already well into development, the game's life should prove to be as long as it is varied. Tripwire should be applauded for not being afraid to innovate, but at the same time I wonder if they've bitten off a little more than they could chew. Despite the bugs, this is the perfect shooter for those who like to exercise their intellect as much as their trigger fingers.

Upvote 0
?

"Cons: Very buggy at launch"

And RO2 isn't that buggy compared to other big titles.
Biggest problems are performance and crashing issues.

Here's a paragraph on the bugs, from the article. fwiw

Broken VOIP isn't the only issue with RO2 at launch. To be blunt, at launch this game has more bugs than a Stalingrad defender's bed roll. Performance varies massively between similar system specs, and a server bug sees pings occasionally reaching stratospheric heights. Every now and then a tank will don a cloak of invisibility, and the server browser is only slight less painful than being shot in the groin. The list goes on and on, but I have the utmost faith that most will be remedied in the coming weeks. If it was a Codemasters game I'd be worried, but Tripwire Interactive has built an excellent reputation for post launch support. It's still highly playable, but the issues mean we can't help but knock a point off an otherwise perfect score. Come back in a month or two and it'll be a much smoother experience.

:)

Upvote 0
A decent review and fairly high praise in general - and of course a nice score to please those who don't even read the whole article. It's actually better than most GS articles I've read, although I generally try to avoid doing so :)

They do mention the problems, but it's obvious that the reviewer enjoyed the game too much to let them cloud the review - it's pretty positive from top to bottom.

TWI will be happy with this one, I think :)

Upvote 0