• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Important perk tips and tricks for players

Sure it does more damage per shot, but i hardly think you can fire 20 bullets in a matter of a few seconds with the LAR.

If you're unloading 20 bullets over the course of a few seconds, I highly doubt you'll be landing more than a few head shots, let alone even hitting your target. The recoil from the m14 is ridiculous when not using the SS perk, and even with the SS perk, there is some kick to it, however small it might be.

Not to mention the m14 won't save you from fall damage if you need a quick exit.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
LAR does more damage per shot than an m14. I'd rather just use all that money to make LAR stockpiles all over the map, heh.

Another thing I forgot to mention about the LAR is the LAR jump. You can break your fall by shooting the LAR before you land from a high drop. Of course this is only really useful on maps with vertical space like Office of Foundry. With this trick (or glitch rather lol), you can even survive a drop from the 3rd floor on Offices. And best of all, you don't even have to shoot at the ground, you shoot anywhere to break your fall so you can do some fancy jump out the window, shoot the specimen following you to make yourself look cool shot.

I must try this before it gets fixed:D

Upvote 0
Flamer+katana combo as a zerk, isn't actually bad. Well atleast in open maps. Flamers don't need aim, short bursts are sufficient as DoT will kill most specimens, DoT can in turn lead to a multiplier effect > making melee swings more effective and no need to reload.
+, in maps like farm, if you've gathered a good number of zeds and kite them, u can light them all up in one short burst and watch the train follow you.

But in cramped up maps, i'd prefer flamer+katana combo with a firebug. Since you're gona be more prone on lighting yourself up in flames and husks are pretty hard to dodge if you're in the middle of a corridor, or no where to run.

On the LAR note, true, it does more damage but its still not superior to an overly imbalanced weapon like M14.
Its semi-auto fire rate enables Sharpies to "mop" up trash, + its perk benefits allows it to take out bigger specimens.
Unless you have range to work with the LAR, you won't be able to take on 3 or 4 fps that pop outta nowhere and STILL have dual HCs to blast whatever trash is left, and yes this is on suicidal, its around 6 Headshots with an M14, (8 on 6 man suicidal).
And about the need of an exit in case of getting zerged? any decent SS (those that 'actually' aim) holding an M14 won't get zerged. Its body damage is enough to take out trash + the amount of ammo allows us to recklessly spam, hence m14 griefers.

And how can you say

"unloading 20 bullets over the course of a few seconds, I highly doubt you'll be landing more than a few head shots, let alone even hitting your target. The recoil from the m14 is ridiculous when not using the SS perk, and even with the SS perk"

Recoil is pretty easy to figure, it ain't that hard just takes a lil practice. + m14 has the laser sight, hipshooting has never been easier. Most lvl5-6s that actually play on suicidal don't even use the laser sight and can pop head with ease.

On a personal note, i do prefer LAR, only because of the bolting action it does :p other than that, shotties ftw :p

Upvote 0
On the LAR note, true, it does more damage but its still not superior to an overly imbalanced weapon like M14.
Its semi-auto fire rate enables Sharpies to "mop" up trash, + its perk benefits allows it to take out bigger specimens.
Unless you have range to work with the LAR, you won't be able to take on 3 or 4 fps that pop outta nowhere and STILL have dual HCs to blast whatever trash is left, and yes this is on suicidal, its around 6 Headshots with an M14, (8 on 6 man suicidal).
And about the need of an exit in case of getting zerged? any decent SS (those that 'actually' aim) holding an M14 won't get zerged. Its body damage is enough to take out trash + the amount of ammo allows us to recklessly spam, hence m14 griefers.

And how can you say

"unloading 20 bullets over the course of a few seconds, I highly doubt you'll be landing more than a few head shots, let alone even hitting your target. The recoil from the m14 is ridiculous when not using the SS perk, and even with the SS perk"

Recoil is pretty easy to figure, it ain't that hard just takes a lil practice. + m14 has the laser sight, hipshooting has never been easier. Most lvl5-6s that actually play on suicidal don't even use the laser sight and can pop head with ease.

On a personal note, i do prefer LAR, only because of the bolting action it does :p other than that, shotties ftw :p

No one's saying a LAR is superior to an M14, it is quite obvious the opposite is true. The point I was making is that unperked, the M14's recoil is very noticeable. Fire 5 shots of the M14 as a non sharpshooter and you'll be looking upwards at about 30 degrees. For non-sharpshooters, you shouldn't be spamming 20 M14 shots over the course of 4 seconds, which negates one of the big advantages the M14 has over the LAR, the higher ROF. Given that you'd need to fork over $2500 for an M14, or $749 to your friend to buy one for you, you might as well just buy a few LARs instead.

Of course as a sharpshooter, none of this really matters with the reduced recoil bonus, reduced pricing, and enough weight to carry both. However, I still see level 6 Sharpshooter novices on suicidal who spam M14 all day and die from a fleshpound because they can't hit the hit the head, even at point blank range, but that's for another topic.

Upvote 0
The inability of a player to aim in high-stress situations proves many purists' points: people don't learn how to aim, they learn how to spam.

If you actually take the time to learn, you don't need iron sights or lasers. You instinctively know where your gun is aiming. A player lacking that ability is exposed when the rubber hits the road, and they revert to spamming because it is the only self-preservation tactic they've ever known or bothered to acquire.

Upvote 0
The inability of a player to aim in high-stress situations proves many purists' points: people don't learn how to aim, they learn how to spam.

If you actually take the time to learn, you don't need iron sights or lasers. You instinctively know where your gun is aiming. A player lacking that ability is exposed when the rubber hits the road, and they revert to spamming because it is the only self-preservation tactic they've ever known or bothered to acquire.

to be perfectly honest, it doesn't just happen to those who don't do such things.

I, for example, can headshot zeds easily without ironsights when the situation is under control. But when things just totally fall apart and the zeds are closing in, I lose aim entirely and just start shooting everything wildly. Even in situations where things are starting to look bad, or when Im backpedaling I can aim. Its just when they start appearing behind me and to the sides that I lose my ability to aim properly.

But maybe thats just me:D

Upvote 0

.....or some people panic easier then others? You can't just point the finger at one specific reason, that's as absurd as saying a basketball player missed the buzzer-beater only because he didn't practice jump-shots enough. There could be myriad reasons why people (and their skills) break down in pressure situations.

Besides, no one needs to learn to spam. Just point downrange and hold fire, that's spam.

Reactions: jd641
Upvote 0
Well C_Gibby, you asked for feedback, so have at you! Keep in mind, I'm only level 4 with my Firebug, so anything and everything I say may not actually apply at anything beyond Hard.

Firebug's weapons are now the Flamethrower and Mac 10.

Puff your incendiary grenades with the FT after throwing them. Specs are unfortunately smart enough to try to escape the blast radius after the grenade lands, so puff it to prematurely detonate it before they escape.

Learn how many puffs it takes to down an enemy, both with and without full burn time. For example, Stalkers and Crawlers both take one puff if you have time to let them burn for a few seconds, but if a Crawler drops down in front of you a single puff will still give it time to eat your face a bit before expiring, so you'll need a second puff to drop it properly.

Along those same lines, learn how long a puff is when you have to lean into a target with the FT. A Siren takes 5 puffs on 6man Hard with no burn time, but if you can lean into her with the FT, how long should you hold down the trigger?

Operate at your maximum distance whenever possible. You're not playing a TF2 pyro, and your weapon still does full damage at max range. The further the target has to walk, the more time you have to let them burn and if necessary reignite them.

Upvote 0

I do fire from the hip at close range, but there are plenty of times I use iron sights, even at point blank range. This is a habit I picked up from STALKER, that has a lot more realistic weapon mechanics. I hate hipshooting something in the head 30 yards away, that is not how I handle a firearm in reality, and I won't do it in a game, either. I do AK headshot at close range without irons when things get ugly, but I prefer using iron sights whenever possible, even with the pump shotgun.

Upvote 0
I love this game, I hope Danzig is also in HoS.

Well, yes, actually, Danzig will be in HoS, remade by TWI into "Apartments" to keep the setting, but with same visuals and layout.

But I think your lost....this is the Killing Floor Tactics forum, in a thread about important tips and tricks for an efficient team.

Nice try though:D

Upvote 0
one thing to add, never buy pipe bomb when there are players without weapon especially consider the price buff. a pipe kill a few specimens, but a player with a gun can do alot more, plus with additional people with pistol just make you less likely to win. if u help someone, they will more likely in the future to help someone else.

Upvote 0