• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

ROOST is fading...

Well, I for one have found that now that I have a month's worth of experience, I am finally "Getting it". Where to go and when on a map. How to tell how the flow is going to move based on where a tank is and what objectives have just popped up. I am just entering that sweet spot and the game is really becoming tons of fun this past week or so. Yes, I am a noob from COD2, so maybe it took me a long time to "get it". Don't get me wrong, I liked it from the get go and really enjoyed it but now, oh boy, now I am pumped!!!!

So for me there is no fading. The game is getting better the more I play it.

Upvote 0
Marketing

Marketing

I don't think the game was very well marketed. I myself only just stumbled on it after I was let down by my expectations of Call of Duty 2 Multi-player game and did alot of web searching to see if there was anything else out there. Word of mouth advertising will work gradually and bring numbers up, but, look at the promotional effort that went into Call of Duty 2! I even saw ads on CoD 2 on TV. Also, if the company makes a committment to the game to keep upgrading it, I think the population will build. Get the development kit out so new maps can be made. Also, players who play both games should mention it to those they chat with who play other games. I tell you, I just do not think too many people know about RO. But as others have said, those who like to bunny hop and have the gunfight at the coral, will not like this game. So you will never fully get the crowd that goes to games like Call of Duty 2. But i think this game is definitely a winner and I will remain loyal as long as the developers stay true to developing a realistic game. I also tell everyone I meet about this game. Eventually, I do think realism will win the day.

Upvote 0
KrazyKraut said:
I pretty much agree with everything he said. RO tries to pull out a tank simulation out of a shooter engine and it doesn't quite work. The infantry combat is a lot better but still lacks the intensity some other recent FPS have due to the 32 player limit, the big maps and their layout. The combined arms maps are too empty even when there's 32 players on it and also are kind of uncomfortable to play as an infantryman making them basically tank maps. Out of the 13 maps only about three are really working... resulting in pretty small longevity.

The game has really great ingredients, yet it tries to be too much and in the end does none of it perfect. In German you'd say it's "weder Fisch noch Fleisch", neither fish nor meat. I think some basic things need to be changed: It needs more focus, the whole gameplay needs to be more straight-forward. I don't know how to say it, but the "framework" needs to be overhauled. Piron also made some very good points. The game is really stuck in between action and simulation play but not in a way where I'd say "you can do both" but rather "you can't do either". Oh and the bugs and (even worse) the lag do their part of spoiling the fun.

Couldn't agree more! Perfectly said man!

Upvote 0
I think that the single biggest problem with the game is with the low player cap in servers, playing on small maps. The single most defining factor of the Eastern Front in WW2 was that it was, without a doubt, the single most massive land war in human history. It was directly responsible for more than 50 million deaths, with each mile gained being measured in thousands of lives. It's the only war in history where entire Armies were all but wiped out, where many divisions simply ceased to be. One of the Russian armies in Stalingrad suffered a 97% fatality rate, and a 100% casualty rate. Out of 10000 men, ~320 survived, and all of those were wounded. A Russian male born in 1923 (18 when Germany invaded) had a 20% chance of surviving the war. 4 out of 5 died.

This huge number of soldiers (more than 3 million), while spread out over a huge land area, were still densely packed, with major offensives being countered with massed infantry and armour to repel them. Any given battle on the steppes took place over a hundred square miles or more (So we should have some MUCH bigger maps), and involved thousands of troops (So we should have 128 people on a server for a big map).

If you take a map like Arad, which is reasonably sized, it's possible, on a full server, to have to hunt down enemies to kill. And a hull gunner is still only somewhat usefull because most people just hop in tanks. If enough players were allowed that all of the tanks were taken and fully crewed, you'd end up with a lot of Infantry running around, and plenty of full half-tracks desperately trying to dodge tank shells. So far I've played only two games (Both on Arad), which had reasonably balanced numbers of Infantry and tanks, and the gameplay was AMAZING. I was playing with two friends, and the three of us in our T-34/85 got at least 8 tank kills and 25 Infantry kills in one life.

Erm. I seem to be off topic. Oh, yes, the other thing I was going to say was that the reviewer clearly didn't play any early-war maps, because there's also the T-60 and KV-1S and T-34/76 and Panzer 3 and Panzer 4 F1... And as for the commander being the gunner... in a T-34/76, that was the case... but otherwise I agree that tanks should be able to have a crew of at least 4... add a commander/loader, or somehting. I dunno.

And I really, really hope that the general gaming population of cs, or even dod, doesn't take up RO:O. That'd be a disaster, and I'd probably stop playing if they brought their ways with them.
Xenophobia ftw! :D

Upvote 0
lacisghost said:
I for one have found that now that I have a month's worth of experience, I am finally "Getting it". Where to go and when on a map. How to tell how the flow is going to move based on where a tank is and what objectives have just popped up. I am just entering that sweet spot and the game is really becoming tons of fun this past week or so. Yes, I am a noob from COD2, so maybe it took me a long time to "get it". Don't get me wrong, I liked it from the get go and really enjoyed it but now, oh boy, now I am pumped!!!!

So for me there is no fading. The game is getting better the more I play it.

There ya go... I like to hear these kinds of statements.

Right on lacisghost, stick with it. The more you play.. the more you feel the flow, the better you understand how to be successful, the more enjoyment you get.

Upvote 0
Im playing this game for about 3 weeks and i dont see that the game is fading, what i see is more servers on the list, and a very solid community. Its not an easy game and may appeal to a more mature audience, so this may be equal a less players than games like COD and BF. I dont know how well the game is selling but i hope that the developers dont stop to support this project.

Upvote 0
If people don't like it they should keep their opinions to themselves. There are MANY of us that greatly enjoy the game and have been waiting for something like it for quite a few years... it's the game we've always wanted.

It has its flaws, but I am quite certain they will be addressed AND we will get some freebies as well. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. If you don't like it, shut up. You're not helping anyone.

Upvote 0
I don't get it, these game reviewers want newer games to be just like the ones before it. Red Orchestra was never made to fit the masses in any way. I dont need some middle aged journalist or some kid fresh from middle school telling me how I should enjoy my games. Besides a majority of these reviewers are probably not even paid and it shows on how well they review and research the games. I have about three PC Gamer magazine issues that praise Red Orchestra for what it has done, saying that it IS different and thats what makes it special.

I could care less if a CS/DoD/CoD fan boy says otherwise.

Upvote 0
I understand where this guy is coming from....but.....what this guy has neglected to see is that this game is still very much in its infancy. Its has way too much potensial for him to state its "fading". I dont remember ellecting this guy to the Supreme Authority of FPS PC Games, so his opinion has as much impact on me as reason has on Sadam.

Upvote 0
Of course he's not the Supreme Authority of FPS Games. That's *my* official title, duh!

Seriously, though, if RO:OST's current state (releasing to stores, turning a profit, great online numbers, 80% or higher from most review sources (even those that didn't care for the gameplay), the awesome devs, etc) is considered 'fading', then by all means, let us fade to transparency :p

Upvote 0
ViViD said:
In Australia/NZ the servers are holding steady at 2-3 full servers, that may not sound a lot but a lot of people come and go and you may not see them for a week and they will pop up again. Perhaps this reflects a older more casual community.

Also there is really 2-3 proper clans in Aus/NZ i do not think it is fading or growing but the real issue was the lack of release in stores compared to a internet only release, this has probably really effected purchase in Australia.

Does any of my clan mates even think of going to another game (most of them are from other games and not hardcore Rooers) Nup not even thinking about it.

I do think that one thing that would help RO more then anything is a lot more maps, this game is made for diversity of maps rather then CS:S or COD which is same map over and over again.

I would put RO more akin to Operation Flashpoint then COD or CS

Correction their was 2-3 servers now theirs one if you lucky.

dK hasnt been on for nearly a month maybe because theirs noone in the servers! We really should have the clans working together to get one server full.
send me a pm and ill give u the msns of my clan members

Upvote 0
I'm sad that I have to agree, the reviewer had played the game and was on the spot.

This game looses a LOT by not having more players, the Maps are just too big for 32 players.

I suggest being able to spawn on squad leaders for infantry atleast, so they get more action. As it stands now, the big maps are just vehicle combat maps, which is all sweet, but does excuse not adding more percs for the infantry.

Also this game has a lot of problems with loading times, making it hairy at best to play.

Janster

Upvote 0