• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A positive, non-mainstream gaming website RO2 review

" In this section I'll list the bugs I've encountered so far, and I will continue to update it.

• Servers not showing up in server browser despite refreshing, I have to restart the game.

One bug? Not bad! I've seen reports of others although this is the only bug I've experienced so far. Finally lets wrap up this review with my final thoughts. "

Lol.

Upvote 0
Red Orchestra 2 focuses on these fronts simply because other WWII games, such as Call of Duty and Medal of Honor, focused more on the American and British fronts.
I thought TWI had better reasons, but if he says so..?

There is a Nazi campaign and a Russian campaign.
I hope this gets the realism role-players appropriately upset. A Nazi campaign? Really?

Like I said, it's multiplayer but with bots, but nevertheless [...]
You didn't say that!

You said this:
The campaign is not a simple shoot-em up type like most FPS games. Throughout Red Orchestra 2 you will interact with all sorts of items such as radios, tanks and you will even take command of squads, being able to order them to your will.
While this is true it certainly paints a different picture than "multiplayer with bots"...

By default, the left ctrl key is the "do it all button". This is the button you use to bandage yourself when you're bleeding, pick up guns/ammo and climb things.
No it isn't. You climb things with Space, by default.

The scope is actually the part zooming in, not the entire screen
Except the entire screen does zoom in. Quite substantially at that.

Lets not forget tank gameplay! It's more realistic than any other game I've played, such as Crysis and Crysis Wars
Not wrong, but funny in an endearing way.

Now to be honest I've never played the first one, ArmA or ArmA II so this game is extremely impressive to me. In fact I will say that Red Orchestra 2's basic FPS mechanics are the best out there.
Oh oh. This is worrying enough in and of itself, but didn't you just write this:
Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad has gameplay that will be familiar to those who have played the first one as well as ArmA and ArmA II.
How would you know?

I can't tell you how many maps are in the game although it does seem like quite a bit.
Why can't you tell us?
The number of maps is part of your conclusion of the review!

It looks like what a multiplayer game's server browser should look like.
Minus the Host Game option, you mean?

Campaign: This game mode gives you a nice chunk of Stalingrad with an overhead map split into ten sections. Players on each team will choose to defend or attack each section. Once the game has started you will be attacking and defending these sections.
That sounds pretty cool.

Looking at Red Orchestra 2, it reminds me a lot of Far Cry 2 but with better shaders and ambient occlusion. The game is also not static at all with wind moving the vegetation and particles.
Yeah, I love how wind moves vegetation and particles in Far Cry 2. Blasts from explosions push leaves back too. Looks very impressive!

Animations are average, nothing stands out unfortunately.
If average means perfectly life-like, sure. I don't know if it's just me, but I see nothing wrong with the animations at all.

Voice acting seems fine, the accents are thick as they should be.
WHAT!?

In this section I'll list the bugs I've encountered so far, and I will continue to update it.

Servers not showing up in server browser despite refreshing, I have to restart the game.

One bug? Not bad! I've seen reports of others although this is the only bug I've experienced so far. Finally lets wrap up this review with my final thoughts.
Lucky s-o-b.

the graphics are gritty and realistic especially with the "war movie" post processing setting
Yes, the emulating-the-look-of-a-vague-movie-genre-as-opposed-to-reality setting makes them look very realistic. :p

Story: Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad focuses on the fronts that other WWII games failed to expand on; the Eastern front. The use of narration and real soldier's quotes improve the story telling, but there's really no campaign to speak of. However, given the price of this game this should be expected so I'll go with a 3.5/5 here.
Lol. Narration and quotes improve the story telling of a story that isn't told, but that amounts to 3.5 because it's to be expected? Are you insane?:p
I get that "Story" should be much of a factor when you're reviewing a historical multiplayer shooter, but leave it out of your score then if you don't think it applies. Don't just arbitrarily give it a 3.5/5!

Lasting Appeal: With four different multiplayer game modes, lots of maps, 64 player servers and lots of expansions on the way you won't be putting this game down any time soon. 5/5
I don't think potential future expansions you're speculating about should be part of a review. Definitely not of the conclusion.

Upvote 0
By poor animations I think he means people crouching and then teleporting to prone position, or weird stuttering changes of direction etc. all things that could be fixed but still are in the game. In my opinion it's too early to make a review of this game in it's current buggy state. 4.4/5 is a bit too much in my opinion, key features of the game like the singleplayer campaign, or the cover system just seem a bit of a fail to me and considering all the bugs the game still had on release I wouldn't rate it more than 3/5, maybe we should wait for a review after the game has been patched before giving away those undeserved high scores.
PS: I liked murphy's input though.

Upvote 0