• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Weapon Jam / grenade return

Blues07

Aug 6, 2011
Weapon Jam - If it exists, it'll be too complicated to play this game..
so its just an stupid idea.
like <America's Army> sometime your gun jammed by
a bullet stuck. there must be lot of em in the real war.
so i'm just suggesting low percentage jamming situations
in the game.

Grenade Return - Simply throw enemy grenades back to their position
or anywhere else. funny suggestion - if returned grenade
kills another friendly soldier, you get assist point.
:IS2::IS2::IS2:

Weapon Jam - If it exists, it'll be too complicated to play this game..
so its just an stupid idea.
like <America's Army> sometime your gun jammed by
a bullet stuck. there must be lot of em in the real war.
so i'm just suggesting low percentage jamming situations
in the game.

Grenade Return - Simply throw enemy grenades back to their position
or anywhere else. funny suggestion - if returned grenade
kills another friendly soldier, you get assist point.
:IS2::IS2::IS2:

First I agree with the grenades, may not be happening a lot in the battle, but it is perfectly possible to 'return-to-sender'.

Weapon jam has been discussed a lot and will not be in the game for several reasons. Just for example, it is a random factor, although I would like jams to be in, I know it will upset a lot of people

"WTF, only reason you killed me was the $%#$@^^ Jam system!!!!!"

It's a random factor, not a skill factor. I personally like it, but if it pisses off a lot of people, I don't want it to be in:eek:

edit: it actually reminds me a bit of the 'martyrdom' perk of CoD, that was just awful..

Upvote 0
I had suggested weapon jams in the form of a bad round ammo added randomly through your magazines on respawn whenever you shoot a teammate. Even with a player in control of when/if he jams based on careless or thoughtful shooting habits, that suggestion burned pretty hard. Not that I'm suggesting people didn't consider it properly or anything...

I'd like grenade throwback, its done in real life and I can't tell you how many times a frag landed at my feet and I was completely screwed when in real life I'd grab that handle and chuck it out of the trench. It should be a really half-*** throw with no accuracy or aiming point, however.

Upvote 0
I'd like grenade throwback, its done in real life and I can't tell you how many times a frag landed at my feet and I was completely screwed when in real life I'd grab that handle and chuck it out of the trench. It should be a really half-*** throw with no accuracy or aiming point, however.

This is just not true. In real-life.
Don' t believe the things you see in movies like saving private ryan...
Average delay time of HG is 4,5 seconds!
Starts with trigger the grenade.
Throwing at 4 seconds, flying 1-2,5 seconds.
Remaining 1,5-2 seconds to pickup and throw back.
Good luck with that...

You will have just enough time to go down and to grab the grenade, to ensure at least to find a fast dead by exploding in your hand and not just to loose some limbs and bleed out...

You better use this time to try to run or get cover!

Implementing this stuff is imho a waste of developers worktime.

Even jamming will not bring much fun... most players will be going to hate that feature if it happens only once to much!
Lags on servers are doing pretty much the same effekt

Last edited:
Reactions: johncage
Upvote 0

I don't.

Ranger to be Second Living Medal of Honor Recipient from Afghanistan and Iraq Conflicts said:
As soon as he reached his fellow Rangers, Higgins began assessing their wounds. As he was doing so, an insurgent grenade landed about 10 meters away. The three were thrown to the ground by the explosion, with shrapnel wounding both Higgins and Robinson. Seconds later, additional reinforcements arrived in the form of Staff Sgt. James Roberts and Spc. Christopher Gathercole. As the five Rangers tried to spread out, a second insurgent grenade was tossed at them, this time landing lethally close to Higgins and Robinson. Ignoring his wounds and the danger to himself, Petry lunged for the grenade. Grasping it in his right hand, he hurled it in the direction of the insurgents

Upvote 0
I don't know about these situations in real life, and I'm not going to act like I do, but there have been plenty of times in game where a grenade lands in front of my face and stays there for a good two seconds before it blows up. I don't really have time to get away, but I probably could have thrown it a short distance away from me or around a corner. It's not like you will go out of you're way to throw back live grenades, but if one lands in your face it'd be a good option to be able to give it a small toss. I don't think it will be in the game, though.

Upvote 0
I don't know about these situations in real life, and I'm not going to act like I do, but there have been plenty of times in game where a grenade lands in front of my face and stays there for a good two seconds before it blows up. I don't really have time to get away, but I probably could have thrown it a short distance away from me or around a corner. It's not like you will go out of you're way to throw back live grenades, but if one lands in your face it'd be a good option to be able to give it a small toss. I don't think it will be in the game, though.

Especially when prone and it lands on front of your face when you have 3 seconds to go over the situation and conclude you are screwed whatever you do:eek:

Upvote 0
It is entirely possible to throw grenades back, and this is why experienced troops assume the risk involved with cooking them.

I don't know about the WW2 grenades (except for those booby trap grenades made by germans with 0 second detonation delay after pulling the fuse), but todays grenades have, like someone already said, about 3,5-4 second delay. Think about it, you'd pretty much have to catch it from the air to throw it back, even then it'd be pretty risky. There are more tales of soldiers JUMPING ON grenades to protect their comrades than tales of soldiers tossing the grenades back (because you really don't have enough time to throw them back, unless you're the rubber-woman from that cartoon film).

Upvote 0
...you really don't have enough time to throw them back, unless you're the rubber-woman

the rubber woman? :D
WorleyVision6.jpg

Upvote 0
Is there no honor? If it was thrown in a place near me and half of my squad I would dive on it, take the death thereby saving my squad. But I doubt that it would decrease the damage to my squad (in game), nor would I receive a medal (posthumously of course). :mad:

Well, there are medals awarded in-game... (right? Sometimes I make stuff up)

Would be a hilarious on your stats page:
'Bravery Medal X' (posthumous): Jump on live grenade and save at least two teammates.

Upvote 0
I don't know about the WW2 grenades (except for those booby trap grenades made by germans with 0 second detonation delay after pulling the fuse), but todays grenades have, like someone already said, about 3,5-4 second delay. Think about it, you'd pretty much have to catch it from the air to throw it back, even then it'd be pretty risky. There are more tales of soldiers JUMPING ON grenades to protect their comrades than tales of soldiers tossing the grenades back (because you really don't have enough time to throw them back, unless you're the rubber-woman from that cartoon film).

Grenades are in the 3-5 second range. If someone tosses an uncooked five-second grenade around a corner, you have five seconds to throw it back, away from you, or just out the nearest window. But if someone throws a grenade as far as he can and it lands in your trench, you probably don't have time to throw it back. Simply because the ability to throw a grenade back isn't useful in all circumstances doesn't mean it shouldn't be implemented. Those situations where could have pitched a grenade out of your cover are painfully frequent enough.

Upvote 0
Average delay time of HG is 4,5 seconds!

You better use this time to try to run or get cover!

Implementing this stuff is imho a waste of developers worktime.

Even jamming will not bring much fun... most players will be going to hate that feature if it happens only once to much!
Lags on servers are doing pretty much the same effekt

i partially agree.
you don't get a lot of time with a grenade fuse. however, that being said, i reckon the average fuse times out at 5-6 seconds. (i know we're all being taught 4secs) i've seen more than 1000 live grenades being thrown during my 1.5 years as a boot camp instructor.

it's too high a risk to throw it back to the enemy, (assuming his position is approx 30m away). but say if you're in a trench, bunker, it's highly possible to pick it up and toss it out.

as for weapon jams, i feel that it adds to the realism. and server lag does not give the same effect. weapon jam is a huge factor in warfare(and should be modeled in game). why would gun reviews and development be so heavily focused on reliability if not?

Upvote 0
The thing with jams is it takes a measure of skill away from the player and makes the game rely on chance.

It's like the criticals in TF2. Sure they're fun and make the game interesting, but they're just not what you want in any sort of real competitive play.

Then there's also the question of just how realistic is it to assume soldiers weapons aren't well-maintained? And realism would suggest that some weapons are more jam-prone than others. So jams even further complicate things and make the game potentially even less reliant on player skill and ability and more on whether or not you got lucky with jam percentages.

As for throwing grenades back, it's been reasoned that most of the time soldiers would not risk themselves to toss a grenade back when they could instead spend that time getting away from it.

You could spend time working on a system to toss back grenades for those few times one lands in your lap and you're right next to a window or other piece of cover, or you could simply spend your time refining other game elements. I'm sure Tripwire has made their decision on both the grenade toss-back and jam suggestions already though.

Upvote 0
I for one would love to see weapons jamming. I think its perfectly believable and would be an awesome immersion factor. It's ironic that people demand ultra-realism in RO until it becomes "unfair" which is kinda how real war is I assume :D

As for nade tossbacks, I'm kinda on the "you wouldn't have enough time" side.

Not a huge deal breaker though, jams or no jams is really not a big deal to me at least.

Upvote 0
Indeed... I don't mind Weapon jamming myself, as it was in FarCry2 and I didn't mind it at all.... it is real, just so long as it didn't happen often.

As for tossing back grenades, it doesn't seem practical in game because by the time it was thrown, landed, picked up and thrown back, it would have blown up by the time you picked it up, as the average cook time is around 5 seconds.

And since I generally "Cooked" my german and russian grenades in the past, thus by the time it landed, it exploded, you'd be better off just trying to run away :cool:

Upvote 0
Indeed... I don't mind Weapon jamming myself, as it was in FarCry2 and I didn't mind it at all.... it is real, just so long as it didn't happen often.

The problem then would be the balance of weapons. Some weapons in the war jammed more often than others, for example, MP40 was a real jam machine compared to the Russian PPSH41, or the Gewehr 41 also jammed a lot compared to SVT40. Russians had more reliable weapons, no doubt.

Last edited:
Upvote 0