• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Russian battle cry

I don't think that russians yelled "za Stalina" (for Stalin), nobody liked Stalin.
They fought for their motherland. The whole soviet propaganda was about that.

Stalin had a cult of personality, just like Hitler did, they deceived their people with mass media and "glorious" speeches. There is nothing wrong with the Za Stalina!. But what is a bit weird is why didn t they add like fur dem Fuhrer or something for the German side.

imgres

Upvote 0
I read in a magazine that the penalty for making jokes about the Communist Party or its members yielded penalty of 25 years in a gulag.

i read that teenagers stopped getting death sentence(replaced with life sentence) in usa for non lethal crimes 3(?) years ago.

25 years is maximum sentence in gulag and definately its not for humourists. when i came up on information about imprisonments for antisoviet agitation most common sentence was 3 months. could have been harsher during wartime, but i see no problem with it. french way was not an option.

Stalin had a cult of personality, just like Hitler did, they deceived their people with mass media and "glorious" speeches. There is nothing wrong with the Za Stalina!. But what is a bit weird is why didn t they add like fur dem Fuhrer or something for the German side.

according to you any politician has a personal cult of himself. seeing of how praised person of great talents and intellect - obama is, i wonder if so-called stalins personal cult even existed and could be comparable to this. if a leader popular enough appears in any western state there'd be absolutely similar 'cult'. things look slightly different just because media back then had different structure, with yet none television importance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Za Stalina is historically correct, and was also written on military equipment. Fighting for the motherland or for Stalin was not really a big distinction.
People being sendt to Gulag? If they voiced an anti-revolutionary or anti-communist viewpoint, then it was very possible to be imprisoned or worse (execution,
Deserting is an offence punishable by death for any military during wartime (not so much today, tho).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penal_military_unit

Upvote 0
not realy related but did the Russians relay shoot deserters ?
if yes
why if playing squad leader do we get minus points for killing russians who run away from the front

it was up to NKVD blocking units to arrest, interrogate, investigate and punish or send soldiers found away from the front to reorganized units, depending on guilt degree.

nice sense of humour as usual here.

Upvote 0
it was up to NKVD blocking units to arrest, interrogate, investigate and punish or send soldiers found away from the front to reorganized units, depending on guilt degree.

nice sense of humour as usual here.

Blocking detachments could be from any formation not necessarily NKVD. If they were politically reliable then they would be used.
Blocking detachments were there to "encourage" any unit placed in front of them in the line. Deserters would be shot regardless who they ran into.

Upvote 0
I don't think that russians yelled "za Stalina" (for Stalin), nobody liked Stalin.
They fought for their motherland. The whole soviet propaganda was about that.

soldiers were outraged when Stalins statue was torn down. im talking about former ww2 vets as well. the point being is that people who knew what Stalin did were dead or in a place they couldn't tell anyone. ;)

Upvote 0