• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tank woe's and Beta maps

As Jeff stated out many important things, one thing that is also good to remember is that we are talking about a game after all.

While RO does strive to be more realistic than many generic games, it is still regular online FPS game. While generic realism would be the most "ideal", there are some who want more HC and it becomes eventually more and more impossible to implement properly, especially with armoured combat and some real "**** happens" situations.

Upvote 0
.....Take the PIV H, I've never killed anything in that tank, and it allways get's one shot killed.....

Personally I love the Panzer IV. It's a nippy little tank with a low profile, a fast gun and turret. And theres not a tank in the game it can't knock out in a single hit with a good angle on the ammo store.

Add to that most people under estimate it, and you've got yourself a damn good tank :)

Just make sure you shoot before the enemy does.

Upvote 0
To this discussion I can only add an incident I witnessed:

I saw a Panzer IV fire its gun with AT ammo point blank into the direct rear of a KV-1 and the KV-1 drove at top speed, no smoke or anything.

What I may perceive my favorite tank being able to do has nothing to do with the fact that the rear armor of a KV-1 could never stop a 75mm anti-tank round fired at point blank range. And yet somehow, StuG III's in game have been known to one-shot kill T-34's at 1000 yards, but can't do crap much closer.

Personally, I don't care if the tanks are nerfed as long as they are consitantly nerfed.

And forget the tanks. How about fixing those sniper PPSH-41's able to kill at godly distances.

Upvote 0
I saw a Panzer IV fire its gun with AT ammo point blank into the direct rear of a KV-1 and the KV-1 drove at top speed, no smoke or anything.

Sometimes things get screwy. I've seen tank shells go THROUGH tanks with no damage, probably due to high-ping issues. 95% of the time that shell would have severely damaged if not destroyed the KV in game. It's probably just a glitch, although it IS possible that you could get a penetrating shot that just didn't hit anything vital.

And forget the tanks. How about fixing those sniper PPSH-41's able to kill at godly distances.

What's a "godly distance"? The effective range of the PPSH's cartridge is 200-300 meters, and the gun itself is fairly accurate. If you properly rest the weapon and aim, you should be able to easily hit targets at at least 100 meters or so, perhaps farther. You can do the same thing with the MP-40.

Upvote 0
Sometimes things get screwy. I've seen tank shells go THROUGH tanks with no damage, probably due to high-ping issues. 95% of the time that shell would have severely damaged if not destroyed the KV in game. It's probably just a glitch, although it IS possible that you could get a penetrating shot that just didn't hit anything vital.

What's a "godly distance"? The effective range of the PPSH's cartridge is 200-300 meters, and the gun itself is fairly accurate. If you properly rest the weapon and aim, you should be able to easily hit targets at at least 100 meters or so, perhaps farther. You can do the same thing with the MP-40.

The whole rear of the tank is pretty much dedicated to the engine, fuel and ammo. It is hard to get a penetrating shot in the rear that wouldn't touch anything vital in a tank.

And in regards to the PPSH-41, I'm talking about firing at fully auto at 400 + meters and hitting multiple people. I see it all the time in the outdoor segments in certain urban maps.

Upvote 0
People have a very, very wrong perception on ranges in RO. 400m with a ppsh ? not without some external help..eventrough you might not even see them...:rolleyes:

This, and this again. 400 meters is a LOOONNNGG way, and indeed most maps don't even have view distances that far. Based on the sighting ranges from BlackDayJuly, 400 meters is close to as far as you can see on that map before the fog sets in, although this might be wrong. I don't think anyone's making PPsh kills consistantly from that distance.

As for the KV-1 and the placement of the engine, take a look at the graphs again, you could have missed the engine, or as I said, it could have been a glitch. Either way the game, if working properly, will deal severe damage to a KV if hit in the rear with a later model PIV's main gun.

Upvote 0
StuG III's in game have been known to one-shot kill T-34's at 1000 yards, but can't do crap much closer.

At 1000 meters I see the 75mm shell dropping from a high angle towards the sloped front plate on the T-34. At that angle the shot is only about 10% from the optimal entry angle. So the physics are that a 75mm high angle dropping shot has about half the armor to go through (45 or 65mm on the different T-34s in the game) as the close straight shot... The 75mm has more than emough mass and velocity to punch right through the armor and hit the central ammo box in line behind it.

*You can almost double the effective armor thickness for an almost straight shot at the T-34's roughly 45 degree front glasis plate.

That's why you get the result you have seen. Straight physics. I don't have the physics model parameters to RO but they have mostly validated straight physics in my experience without too many quirks. RO certainly does the best job on WWII tanks out there. :)

Upvote 0