• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Three new videos (German/Russian and mutliplayer).

In this topic:

People who completely disregard the AWESOME news that there is a battlechatter system with 3000 lines of dialog to increase immersion for you guys, and instead groan and moan that it won't be good for immersion.

Exactly, you now have FULL immersion that you are playing in a Hollywood movie, hurray!

People who still are demanding stuff even though the game is being finalized, and what you saw was ALPHA gameplay. Also shut up about tank footage, they'll show it when they show it, be happy they showed this.
No hope for DLC's then? Also, the only footage we have is Alpha so it's meant to be criticised right? Tank footage is the most important thing right now, we've seen all the other infantry stuff, many people are still hoping the tank part is going to blow us away, and that it is a major feature of the game, yet it's very quiet.

It is a dark day for Red orchestra community, its become the norm that every bit of exciting news is met with harsh criticism and ungratefulness.
Here you go a box of tissues

344_uu4m0dimrk6.jpg

If the game wasn't so awesome I'd reconsider buying it because I don't wanna play with these kinds of people. Luckily I realize that forumers make less then 10% of the player base.
See the box above.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Your tissue boxes are also uncalled for and immature. You don't believe my concerns are just?

Exactly, you now have FULL immersion that you are playing in a Hollywood movie, hurray!

No hope for DLC's then? Also, the only footage we have is Alpha so it's meant to be criticised right?

Not everyone speaks german/russian. Keep that in mind, and I really don't wish to learn 3000 lines of german to feel like I know whats going on in the battlefield. If I hear a foreign language, I'm not going to feel less immersed in the game world because I feel like somehow removed from the rest of the army because when I hear something yabbered in german, I'll have no clue what it means while the rest of the guys take cover.

Also, I never said no to DLC, but people are outright demanding things they have no right to demand.

And lastly, I'm certain that TWI wouldn't release the game as it was to the press hoping everything would be criticized. They released the game like it is trying to get the press excited, yet when certain members of the community, thy guys that should already be won over, see it they just go crazy and complain about anything that doesn't match the fantasy in their heads.

I have no issue with constructive critisism, but make a seperate thread about it detailing exactly what is wrong in a RESPECTFUL manner. Don't derail the current topic with endless requests that will distract people coming here to watch the video.

Sick of seeing people think they have some sort of authority over TWI and have no respect for their work. Respect for the game and the devs is dangerously low from some people.

Chances are if you care enough to discuss this with me, your not the one I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Anyone know if fast switch is in?? Every time i see a video he has to select his grenade or pistol outa a menu.. I just wanna press the number 1-5 and it switch to it straight away

Yes it is. That was probably me you saw fast-switching... Also it was probably me you saw getting slaughtered by the AI on Sparta in the German campaign. The point about sound is that, without it, you've no way of knowing until way too late that the enemy has flanked you and are busy attacking the church from the side/rear. By the time you are seeing the suppression bar light up, it will be too late, as there are a bunch of Soviets behind you emptying a PPSh into your back, when you are trying to figure out where the shots are coming from to your front - but they're not. So you're toast.

I do have the same concern about native language.
I speak very well dutch and english and I can understand german fairly well. So the immersion is less instead of more (this has been stated multiple times). Although kind of weird, but hearing the enemy (edit, I meant friendly here) speak english (albeit with accent) really kills the attraction I have for the eastern front.

Yes, you may speak very well the Dutchness and Englishness - but me (and 90% of the gameplaying population) don't. I wrote a lot of the battle-chatter and I still don't understand the German and Russian. When the fighting gets busy, you've potentially got a fair bit of shouting going on as well, so picking out the key messages in a language I don't know well will be too hard.

I seriously dont understand this. The player is playing as his country (for example Spain spanish) and the enemy speaks German or Soviet? Shoot them both?

No... (patient face on...): if you are Spanish (assuming the local distributor localises all the voice to Spanish), you will hear your team speak in SPANISH, so you can understand them. The enemy will speak GERMAN when you are playing as Russians and will speak RUSSIAN whe you are playing as German. In other words - if they are speaking a "foreign" language - shoot them.

John, I really hope the audio-package replacement is somewhat doable.
I speak Russian, and can understand a bit of German, so I'd really like to be able to switch to native Russian voices (having the interface in English though).

And I also wonder, if I download a Russian localization (which I really don't want to do) and play as Germany, will I hear Russian speech with German accent?

Many thanks for all the answers!!!

Basically, given sufficient demand and interest - and time on our part - we may add the option in at a later date to allow people to play with "native" voice, instead of their base language. Just remember we are also having to make priority decisions now about what is included NOW, SOON, or LATER! We're only a small company... switchable voice packs matters to a (relatively) small number of the audience and won't break the game if it has to wait until later!

Actually, I'm quite surprised that none of the ultra-realism brigade has checked the stats on languages spoken in the Red Army, with particular reference to Stalingrad :p

Upvote 0
I hope TWI decides to change the voices. The overwhelming majority of people dislike even the idea of this, but as I called out earlier, I told you they wouldn't. I guess when I asked "What is more important, pleasing the community or doing what you want to do?" was answered.
WTF dude, speak for yourself.. It will take me 2 years to learn what those 3k German "lines" mean, I also know and speak Russian and even if i'll have trouble installing the Rus vers of the game for sounds I wont QQ. Srsly.

Edit: Note to self, gotta stop feeding the trolls.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hope TWI decides to change the voices. The overwhelming majority of people dislike even the idea of this, but as I called out earlier, I told you they wouldn't. I guess when I asked "What is more important, pleasing the community or doing what you want to do?" was answered.

So you and your friend are self elected representatives to possible 1 million+ players? Just because you disagree doesn't mean the majority is.

Your ego needs to be a bit smaller, your crushing the world under it.

Upvote 0
No... (patient face on...): if you are Spanish (assuming the local distributor localises all the voice to Spanish), you will hear your team speak in SPANISH, so you can understand them. The enemy will speak GERMAN when you are playing as Russians and will speak RUSSIAN whe you are playing as German. In other words - if they are speaking a "foreign" language - shoot them.

Please, no Dutch translations (tell that to the local distributor :D). After Black and White's translation into Dutch i just cant bare anymore :p
Seriously, that was some TRUELY horrendous stuff, and there isnt a single Dutchman who doesnt agree afaik. There isnt a single game out there that sounds good in Dutch, lol.

Basically, given sufficient demand and interest - and time on our part - we may add the option in at a later date to allow people to play with "native" voice, instead of their base language. Just remember we are also having to make priority decisions now about what is included NOW, SOON, or LATER! We're only a small company... switchable voice packs matters to a (relatively) small number of the audience and won't break the game if it has to wait until later!

This is music to my ears :D Yes, please! I'll pay you!

Reactions: Nimsky
Upvote 0
Not everyone speaks german/russian. Keep that in mind, and I really don't wish to learn 3000 lines of german to feel like I know whats going on in the battlefield. If I hear a foreign language, I'm not going to feel less immersed in the game world because I feel like somehow removed from the rest of the army because when I hear something yabbered in german, I'll have no clue what it means while the rest of the guys take cover.

Although it's a way around the problem it doesn't solve it, for it is still taking away a lot of immersion for me. They should have done it differently and made it customizable, yes that sounds very 'hindsight' but that's how I feel about it.

Also, what's wrong with hearing different languages, I know you 'lazy' native English speakers don't like other languages and are used to be greeted in your own language, but what's the fun in that? It's actually games and things I read on the internetz which make my German and other languages better.

Also, I never said no to DLC, but people are outright demanding things they have no right to demand.

Well I'd imagine that the DLC's include improved features and fix small bugs as well.

I have no issue with constructive critisism, but make a seperate thread about it detailing exactly what is wrong in a RESPECTFUL manner. Don't derail the current topic with endless requests that will distract people coming here to watch the video.

Videos are on the 1st post, you don't need to read any further, and on top of that we're helping to get this topic on the top of the page.

Your tissue boxes are also uncalled for and immature. You don't believe my concerns are just?

I wouldn't take forums too serious, and it was not uncalled for:' I don't wanna play with these kinds of people.' That sounds pretty immature to me.

Reactions: nebsif
Upvote 0
Thanks, TWI! I understand about the priorities and why you made that decision.
It's just that, for me, a native Russian speaker, English with a Russian accent sounds kind of funny, and it's probably even more so to a native English speaker. So I think it might ruin the immersion quite a bit. And knowing how good the native Russian voices are (it's kind of rare nowadays to have Russian voices done without any accent, as you did in RO1), it's a pity I won't be able to hear them, as I mostly play on the Allies team.
And thanks again! It's great to have so many questions answered directly!

Upvote 0
I wouldn't take forums too serious, and it was not uncalled for:' I don't wanna play with these kinds of people.' That sounds pretty immature to me.

Do you want to play with people that criticize everything you like? I've played with people like that on other games, they quickly find their way to my block list.

I get enough negativity in my life, from family, school, and everyone else, when I play a game I don't want to find the same thing. I want people that are having fun instead of nit picking things that in the long run, aren't as important as say how the shadows go through walls or unnatural animations (I thought the animation was fine but I can see valid points)

Upvote 0
WTF dude, speak for yourself.. It will take me 2 years to learn what those 3k German "lines" mean, I also know and speak Russian and even if i'll have trouble installing the Rus vers of the game for sounds I wont QQ. Srsly.

Edit: Note to self, gotta stop feeding the trolls.

So you and your friend are self elected representatives to possible 1 million+ players? Just because you disagree doesn't mean the majority is.

Your ego needs to be a bit smaller, your crushing the world under it.

Did you see how many people were asking for this to be changed? I've seen more of that then people saying they like this... But it must be my ego. After all...

Upvote 0
I have no problem with own team speaking the local machine language.

Loved seeing Ramm get fragged through the wall by his own grenade. Grenades in general seem a bit more random and a bit less safe to be around - which is great. Loved the blast effects.

I like the new squad command system too. Is there anything similar in MP?

Only 2 concerns for me - the shadows coming through the walls (alpha / beta build, but would be good to hear if it's been fixed for release) and occasionally body hits didn't appear to do much. I much prefer the 1-hit kill style of play you get in ROOST or the old 3.1 mod.

Upvote 0
Well, I'll admit I'd still prefer the Germans to speak german and the Russians Russian. But after reading the very thorough explanations with the extensive amount of battle chatter going on, you are all making it very hard for me to criticize :p

Most likely I'm just getting last minute jitters and will be floored with most or all of the features when I get to play the game. Make no mistake, I'm buying the game whether I'm nitpicking things here at the last minute or not :D

Upvote 0
I hope they release a patch that allows you to use all the variations in the enemy chatter. Don't know how much of a difference you will hear in battle chatter depending on if the team has high morale or low but even though you will hear the enemy less than your own team I think enemy battle chatter might effect you more.

Upvote 0
Did you see how many people were asking for this to be changed? I've seen more of that then people saying they like this... But it must be my ego. After all...

Think the point he was trying to make is 10 or 20 poeple on forum is not a large % of the players - think he was trying to say the silent majority probaly wont care one way or the other so give it try before getting to wound up about it.

And this is another one that we should wait and see how it plays when we get to try the actual game.

I'm approaching all these worries that many have with an open mind - i'll give it a go see what happens

Upvote 0
Well, I'll admit I'd still prefer the Germans to speak german and the Russians Russian. But after reading the very thorough explanations with the extensive amount of battle chatter going on, you are all making it very hard for me to criticize :p

Most likely I'm just getting last minute jitters and will be floored with most or all of the features when I get to play the game. Make no mistake, I'm buying the game whether I'm nitpicking things here at the last minute or not :D
Agreed. After hearing all of the very thorough explanations by the devs on this issue, I'm much happier. Even more so, I'm very excited to hear all of the work they have clearly put into their voice commands and battle chatter systems. It far outdoes anything I thought would be in the game.

Even better is the news that there is at least a possibility of adding localized voice packs post release.

Upvote 0