• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Airplanes!

What exactly is WW2 online, and if it is so awesome why are we playing RO?
Because it's

1) old
2) ugly (even when it was released)
3) has horrible client-side hit-detection
4) it costs money

If it wouldn't be so expensive, I'd probably be playing it, since I don't give a crap about gfx or age, and the hit-detection is a minor annoyance compared to it's awesomeness.

Upvote 0
I actually looked up the price 2 days ago, 120+ for 12 months.

I had some outstanding times in the game, but it usually requires finding a clan first.

They've improved some graphics and things with the 1.31 patch (ragdolls/dynamic weather/blood splatter/clouds/new buildings and hd textures) but really not $120 worth.

If more people played it, the price would actually go down.

and to answer the question, it's a massive online FPS/realism game based on the invasion of France. You fight for towns and tents and what not.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because it's

1) old
4) it costs money

If it wouldn't be so expensive, I'd probably be playing it, since I don't give a crap about gfx or age, and the hit-detection is a minor annoyance compared to it's awesomeness.

I actually looked up the price 2 days ago, 120+ for 12 months.

I had some outstanding times in the game, but it usually requires finding a clan first.

They've improved some graphics and things with the 1.31 patch (ragdolls/dynamic weather/blood splatter/clouds/new buildings and hd textures) but really not $120 worth.

If more people played it, the price would actually go down.

So if you tried playing it as an FPS or tank simulation, its nowhere near as advanced as RO for example right?

Upvote 0
What exactly is WW2 online, and if it is so awesome why are we playing RO?
WW2 Online is many years old, quite poopy graphics iron sights look like a joke but it is an awesome idea. We need make a massive game, servers that have like 200 vs. 200, a gigantic map airplanes fighting it out for ariel supioriorty (but limited plane count so that who ever kills the most get the most out of being supior) close air support would be epic, last stands to defend a vital supply location, an armored brigade comin' in and saving the day... God I could go on and on about the ultimate game I want. *tears* Where's my troll button? I like my troll face instead of the ':D'.

Reactions: Nicholas
Upvote 0
So if you tried playing it as an FPS or tank simulation, its nowhere near as advanced as RO for example right?

Vehicle combat of all kind in WW2OBE is head and shoulders above RO in regards to realism. head and shoulders.

infantry is far better in RO though for many many many reasons. Adjusting ironsights was neat though

Upvote 0
Where's my troll button? I like my troll face instead of the ':D'.
It's right here!
faceg.gif

Reactions: Nilsson
Upvote 0
I think the following thing can be solved this way or similar.

It would work like this: you would have 2 maps in 1... What I mean is most maps are square so in middle is the INF/Tank players, that will play on the regular map with the OBJ on them. Then the mapper would make it so the players there would only render that part of the map that is playable and not outside it. For planes there would be 4-5km extension on each side of small map that only they can fly, and the airports would be located on opposite sides. So they won't be limited to some small area with constant turns to avoid going off-map, and other players won't have to deal with large scale map. Also pilots would be able to communicate with ground officers only for targets, tactics, and location of enemy planes to achieve air superiority. Players will spawn with planes and die with planes just like tank crew does, to avoid those long walks on the outside map.

Max planes: 3 per team, to keep it tactical.

Possible planes:

Germans: Fighters/Bombers
ME-109
FW-190
FW-187
Ju-87

Russian: Fighters/Bombers
IL-2
p-39
La-5
Pe-2

Feel free to comment :)

Upvote 0
I would love to have planes in RO2,but doubt is possibly due to maps not being big enough to implement their ability of increasing speed and covering ground while flying.I mean how long would it take for a fighter WW2 plane to circle around the biggest RO2 map?

Maeby this could be doable on the tank map that JG mentioned,and another thing this game have been so far mainly based on infantry fighting,the only place I see rules bending is at the Vietnam mod and its trailer where they show the little huey chopper.

Upvote 0
Because it's

1) old
4) it costs money

i used to play that all the time because of the coordination between bombers/infantry/tanks. would be cool if they made a proper sequel

Upvote 0