• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

how does the tanks work?

kainhall

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 30, 2010
so when i get in a tank i wil have AI gunners/ commander/ hull MG but i cna instant switch to them. but if a round kills them then i crawl threw the tank?

do they shoot automaticly? is the AI smart enough to hold fire if i tell it to?

i think it should be like RO1. and every time you switch possitions it shows an animation. this way tanking by your self has a dissatvantge, but is still do-able. the more AI in a game the more chance the AI has a chance to be dumb and anoying.

again, keep it the same as RO1. if it works dont fix it!

so when i get in a tank i wil have AI gunners/ commander/ hull MG but i cna instant switch to them. but if a round kills them then i crawl threw the tank?

do they shoot automaticly? is the AI smart enough to hold fire if i tell it to?

i think it should be like RO1. and every time you switch possitions it shows an animation. this way tanking by your self has a dissatvantge, but is still do-able. the more AI in a game the more chance the AI has a chance to be dumb and anoying.

again, keep it the same as RO1. if it works dont fix it!

The thing is, it didn't work in RO 1 ;)

Upvote 0
i thought that the RO couminity was free of *** holes. guess not.
and i know i cant spell, but my grammer is fine. if i troleld this form i could find mistakes adn **** that you made. shut the **** up. RO needs a FRIENDLY comunity so peopel buy the game.

my opinion is that the tank system in RO1 was working, but it ran like my old chevy, it moves.....just really slow.

the insta-switch was wrong. having a animation and a delay would make it harder for solo tankers to be combat effective. a person with 2 peopel in a tank would get the first shoot off. the first shoot in a tank battle is everything. health bar COH system or velocity, distance, weaght system like RO 1/2.

but, having 3 or 4 players in ONE tank on a 50 slot server takes 3 people out of the fight or 3 tanks in a tank only battle.

yes solo tankers can be anoying, but i solo because if i get killed, its my fault. its not the gunner who is from russia and did not under stand what "tank, pz4, 10 o' clock" means. or someone who gets in the drivers seat and does not drive correctly and gets 2 feet away from a tiger and does nto shop so i can shoot said tiger and the tiger shoots us. evne thow im screaming STOP STOP. hes jsut trolling.

when my friends gets on, i double up teh tank. it incresses the imersion and my kills.

however, how does the tank system work. is it one person per tank with AI that you cna swithc to.

or is it AI being able to be replaced by human players

or does what? is there even AI?

thanks

Upvote 0
and i know i cant spell, but my grammer is fine. if i troleld this form i could find mistakes adn **** that you made. shut the **** up. RO needs a FRIENDLY comunity so peopel buy the game.

my opinion is that the tank system in RO1 was working, but it ran like my old chevy, it moves.....just really slow.

the insta-switch was wrong. having a animation and a delay would make it harder for solo tankers to be combat effective. a person with 2 peopel in a tank would get the first shoot off. the first shoot in a tank battle is everything. health bar COH system or velocity, distance, weaght system like RO 1/2.

but, having 3 or 4 players in ONE tank on a 50 slot server takes 3 people out of the fight or 3 tanks in a tank only battle.

yes solo tankers can be anoying, but i solo because if i get killed, its my fault. its not the gunner who is from russia and did not under stand what "tank, pz4, 10 o' clock" means. or someone who gets in the drivers seat and does not drive correctly and gets 2 feet away from a tiger and does nto shop so i can shoot said tiger and the tiger shoots us. evne thow im screaming STOP STOP. hes jsut trolling.

when my friends gets on, i double up teh tank. it incresses the imersion and my kills.

however, how does the tank system work. is it one person per tank with AI that you cna swithc to.

thanks

Hey, so basically how it works is: There are 3 available player slots and 4 slots total. One slot is permanent AI (Reloader).

So the human player can play any role he pleases, if he picks a different role, a short animation plays where you transition to that role, and an AI character takes the place of the empty position. Anytime a human player picks a role in the tank the AI character disappears until the human leaves the role.

So if you are commanding for example, you will have AI controlling the rest of the tank, if your friend jumps in the tank as the driver, now the AI driver vanishes.

I hope this helps.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, did I miss something here? Have we lost a post in the middle there somewhere? I hope so, because it looks like you're flying off the handle at nothing as it stands.

Upvote 0
Solo tanking in RO:Ost only barely worked, you could do it, but one guy having to perform all actions sepperately does not really reprisent what a real tank should be capable of, tanks did not roll into combat with just one crewmember.

If you had a good player in the tank with you, then it worked, and worked well, but he would have to be a good team player you could communicate with, and who would follow instructions. If he didn't, then it was even worse than tanking Solo, and he would unboubtedly get you both killed.

So tanking only worked as intended when you could find a good teammate, Solo play was not really intended, but unfortunately became the norm.

This is what the AI crew aims to solve, if people are going to Solo tank anyway, and they are, because there will allways be idiots, then they might aswell try to make Solo play work as realistic as possible.

Now as i understand the AI crew, you play as the commander of the tank, and basically, control the whole tank by proxy, the AI doesen't do anything unless you tell them to, you give the orders and they follow them, so it's a lot like team-tanking with competent players, only they are AI instead.

The commander and gunner are also a combined class, which means you will be in charge of aiming and shooting the main gun, along with giving orders, as this accomplishes two things, it gives Solo commanders something fun to do (shoot), and it also prevents having the gunner be an AI Aim-bot, which would be terrible for gameplay, nobody would want that.

Basically, you are in control of the whole tank, the AI is just there to carry out your orders (and your orders will determine the success or failure of the tank, the AI won't just do things by themselves), they are there to simulate that it took more than one person to work a tank, and to simulate that tanks rolled into combat with full crews (even if there is only one human player in them).

Seriously, lets see it in action before we start complaining about it, because on paper it actually sounds like a pretty good system, and if the AI is coded well enough, it's going to work out really well.

And if there are problems with it, you can be damned sure the Beta testers are going to complain about them!

Reactions: SS-Kommando
Upvote 0

thanks

did you not read ANY thread related at all to tank combat or even watch any videos involving tanks? It's been explained so many times how it works.

Upvote 0